Tuniq Propeller vs. Thermalright Venemous X @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Tuniq Propeller vs. Thermalright Venemous X - Thermalright has been a company name that is synonymous with high end CPU air cooling for years now. Tuniq is one of the newer guys on the block when it comes to the elite heatsink and fan unit. Today we have a showdown of epic proportions, at least to the computer hardware cooling enthusiast. Propeller vs. Venemous X.

Let’s start with the Tuniq Propeller 120 shall we. It is an expensive cooler that has an awkward mounting system. I have never been excited with the HDT (Heatpipe Direct Touch) technology as I have yet to see it offer some greater level of performance. The Propeller 120 is out of its league at the high end and as a mainstream cooler would probably do rather well.

Just a heads up your performance/dollar should read dollar/degree C. You have it backwards, otherwise the tuniq would be the most desirable product on that list.

Not to be a grammar nazi, but the first sentence in "The Bottom Line" should read:

Let’s start with the Tuniq Propeller 120, shall we?

instead of

Let’s start with the Tuniq Propeller 120 shall we.

But anyway ...

I've become a fan of Thermalright years ago. Being consistently placed in the high ranks of performance, if not the top dog, is far more important than flavor-of-the-month heatsinks that have come out of nowhere from less prominent companies. <3 Thermalright

yep Thermalright rocks. Although why are they no longer available at newegg? They were a couple years ago. Oh well frozencpu is still great.

Would the Thermalright perform alot better with a good base sanding and upgraded fan? Looking to buy a new heatsink and dont mind modding it if its going to be the better performer.

yep Thermalright rocks. Although why are they no longer available at newegg?
I think Newegg has let success go to their collective head. No Thermalright. They ditched advertising here after so many years. And, If you notice they no longer sell Apple products. When a major electronic e-tailer quits selling Ipods, something is up. Either they pissed off Apple in some way and Apple is withholding product, or Newegg told Apple to take a hike.

Huh, weird... I can somehow understand not selling TR stuff if demand wasn't high enough (they probably sold 10 AC Freezer 7 Pros for every TRUE tbh), but dropping Apple does seem rather weird. Nice review btw, tho neither product was very noteworthy. TR needs to stop cranking out endless revisions of the TRUE that perform almost the same and just keep working on either making it cheaper or getting it out to more stores...

Personally I've never seen TR products at a B&M store. I see plenty of Zalman stuff, CoolerMaster/Antec of 'course, Arctic Cooling too, Zerotherm or Xigmatek even, but never TR. Most of those are also easier to find online at the big e-tailers (than TR) rather than having to go to SVC, Coolerguys, Sidewinder, or w/e. Not that I change coolers often enough to really be bothered by having to go to those stores (thankfully they've all got good service), but when you're recommending parts for someone else they wanna find it at Newegg, Amazon, MC, etc.

What's the current best bang-for-buck cooler out there anyway? I remember [H] gave the Cogage TRUE Spirit a pretty good review but that's still LGA1336 only isn't it? Is the Xigmatek Dark Knight still the best bet for other sockets or is there something better for under $35-40? IIRC my Zerotherm NV120 performs similar to that one... Shame there isn't an LGA775 bracket for the Cogage. TR TRUE-like performance for $35 (at SVC) is hard to argue with.

I don't understand one thing, why do yo guys test this on a bench instead of inside an actual case? [H] is all about real world performance and in the real world most of us run our coolers inside the case with the covers closed.

btw, the box says VENOMOUS not Venemous. I'm sure Thermalright is pretty happy about it :p

Wow! The Tuniq Propeller got owned by the Thermalright Venomous X big time. Not surprising since the horizontal fan units haven't been performing as well as the vertical units (from the information I've seeked-out).

Thanks for the review, [H[. :)

What was Tuniq thinking. I could tell just by looking at the "Propeller" that it just would not work. Sure it has alot of heatpipes, but theres just not enough fin area to do any good.

yeah that tuniq cooler is junk.

It got beat by a 3 year old hsf design.

Love my TRUE also :)

You guys are also right about the TRUE not being available enough. None of the local computers stores in Canada carry them, I had to order mine online from ncix.

Not only was it beaten by a competitors 3 year old design like you said, but fails compared to Tuniq's own 4 year old Tower.

I totally agree with your Cyborg its an epic fail. I can understand when revisions are made on products to improve them, but if you can't beat the previous gen with the new. What was the point of making the new product to begin with.

The money would have been better spent just trying to improve on the Tuniq's tower which as you said is 4 years old.

TR is also guilty of this but the new version alteast equals the old so its only a minor fail :)

Last edited:
I don't understand one thing, why do yo guys test this on a bench instead of inside an actual case? [H] is all about real world performance and in the real world most of us run our coolers inside the case with the covers closed.
It takes out variables and allows the coolers to run at their absolute peak possible performance.

For example, not all cases are built alike, the airflow from one to the next could dramatically skew the results. When coolers are out on a test bench, they suck in free flowing room temperature air. Put them in a case, and suddenly their is air swirling about them from case fans that can either increase or decrease the heatsink's cooling potential, depending on the source of air. Take that variable out, and its a level playing field for all contenders.

This also allows them to give some real-world feedback in the form of cost vs performance.

Thermalright took one step forward and one step back. Performance is the exact same as the TRUE Revision C but for more money.

Well, I half agree with you. I do think they should include a fan. After all, they reverted to the clips which is cheaper than the full fan holder you can get with the Rev. C. But, the mounting mechanism is really good vs. the other variants. I have been able to overclock my 1366 with it. And, once Prime 95 releases it's stress, the temps fall rapidly. Did I overpay? I think, marginally yes. But, I am happy with it. I do like it's mounting system.

Last edited:
Same question that i posted here.
HTML:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1483873&highlight=TRUE+rev.

Ive heard the mounting system on the TRUE REV. C isnt compatible with my motherboard, which is a Socket 775 GA-EP45-DS3P. I was wondering if i will have the same issue with the mounting system on the Venomous.

Microcenter has Thermalright products in store.

There is a LGA775 TRUE Spirit: http://www.cogage.com/a_page/cpu_cooler/true_spirit/product_cpu_cooler_true_spirit-775.html

Personally I want to see if the COGAGE Arrow is any different than the IFX-14.

Guess I missed 'em at MC, I'm not lucky enough to live near one so I've only been to it a handful of times. I haven't seen the TRUE Spirit-775 for sale anywhere tho (online or otherwise), have you? As far as I can tell it either never made it out the door, or it's still coming and it just hasn't materialized in retail channels... :(

Huh, weird... I can somehow understand not selling TR stuff if demand wasn't high enough (they probably sold 10 AC Freezer 7 Pros for every TRUE tbh), but dropping Apple does seem rather weird. Nice review btw, tho neither product was very noteworthy. TR needs to stop cranking out endless revisions of the TRUE that perform almost the same and just keep working on either making it cheaper or getting it out to more stores...

Personally I've never seen TR products at a B&M store. I see plenty of Zalman stuff, CoolerMaster/Antec of 'course, Arctic Cooling too, Zerotherm or Xigmatek even, but never TR. Most of those are also easier to find online at the big e-tailers (than TR) rather than having to go to SVC, Coolerguys, Sidewinder, or w/e. Not that I change coolers often enough to really be bothered by having to go to those stores (thankfully they've all got good service), but when you're recommending parts for someone else they wanna find it at Newegg, Amazon, MC, etc.

What's the current best bang-for-buck cooler out there anyway? I remember [H] gave the Cogage TRUE Spirit a pretty good review but that's still LGA1336 only isn't it? Is the Xigmatek Dark Knight still the best bet for other sockets or is there something better for under $35-40? IIRC my Zerotherm NV120 performs similar to that one... Shame there isn't an LGA775 bracket for the Cogage. TR TRUE-like performance for $35 (at SVC) is hard to argue with.

they have no choice but to crank out endless revisions of the TRUE.. they found the absolute limit for rifle style heatsinks.. it cant get any more efficient then what they have.. thats what happens when you create the king of heatsinks way to easily.. only choice is to go larget and double rifle heatsinks which has been done and has already reached its limit.. now the only choice is to see how quiet you can make them while getting the same cooling performance, or move to TEC cooling..

Couldn't they somehow just cram more heat pipes into roughly the same space? Or would the manufacturing costs be impractical on such a design? IIRC The biggest improvement the TRUE brought over earlier tower-style heatsinks was this exactly, the amount of heat pipes and fin spacing across them. Hell there's gotta be something else that's radically different which they could try (like the move from vertical or radial style heatsinks to the current tower designs).

What a surprise, another HDT that has poor contact...

Thumbs up for Thermalright once again though :)

Thanks for the review guys. Your testing on the Venomous X has pretty much shown what I have seen with the testing I have done with it, an original lapped TRUE, TRUE rev C , lapped Cu TRUE and also a Megahalems. They are all within a couple of degrees of each other on performance. I believe what we are seeing is that we are just getting to limits of heat transfer with the heatpipe style layout of these heatsinks. I found that the Venomous X mounting system also gave me 1-3 C better temps than either revision of the TRUE mounting system too, with all the Thermalright models.

Couldn't they somehow just cram more heat pipes into roughly the same space? Or would the manufacturing costs be impractical on such a design? IIRC The biggest improvement the TRUE brought over earlier tower-style heatsinks was this exactly, the amount of heat pipes and fin spacing across them. Hell there's gotta be something else that's radically different which they could try (like the move from vertical or radial style heatsinks to the current tower designs).

would be impracticle and useless because the fin surface can only remove so much heat.. its the fins surface thats the limitation not the heat pipes.. its why the double rifle heatsinks tend to do a little better just because they have more surface area but they are also a crap load bigger..

would be impracticle and useless because the fin surface can only remove so much heat.. its the fins surface thats the limitation not the heat pipes.. its why the double rifle heatsinks tend to do a little better just because they have more surface area but they are also a crap load bigger..

What the heck is a "double rifle heatsink"?

As far as I know you can use http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9651/cpu-tri-66/Thermalright_LGA775_Bolt-Thru_Kit_-_Rev_2.html to make the Cogage work with 775. I had to get the 1156 bolt through kit to get it to work with my p55 motherboard. I do love my Cogage. I always laugh when I see it do well against much more expensive coolers.

Interesting, thanks for the heads-up... I might try it out whenever I need to buy a cooler for someone's rig again... I'll give 'em my NV120 and try that out, $10 for the bracket and $35-40 for the Cogage is probably still a lil' cheaper than the TRUE or some Noctua models.

they have no choice but to crank out endless revisions of the TRUE.. they found the absolute limit for rifle style heatsinks.. it cant get any more efficient then what they have..
There's no such thing as an absolute limit. Everything can be improved. All it takes is someone with the creativity and ingenuity to do it.

A little off topic, but what is the name of the open case being used? I had it bookmarked but lost a HDD...

The ratio for the Thermalright seems good, but are you factoring in the cost of a fan? Seems to me to be fair the cost of a fan must be inlcuded. Don't get me wrong, I own a TRUE-120 and it's the best. I just think if we are looking at perf/price you don't exactly get that performance w/o a fan.

Back