Trying to piece together a new computer

Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
13
Updated

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B - OEM
Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
MSI NX8800GTS-T2D512E GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W Power Supply - Retail
G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Retail
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

Subtotal: $1,202.89
Tax: $87.21
Shipping: $21.92

Grand Total: $1,311.92

Old Build:

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B - OEM
Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Antec NeoPower 650 Blue ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply - Retail
G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Retail
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail
Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler - Retail

Subtotal: $1,290.89
Tax: $93.59
Shipping: $33.43

Grand Total: $1,417.91

I'm trying to create a computer that won't be outdated for about 3-4 years with $1300. Is this possible?

I'm planning on running Windows XP 32-bit + play games on 1680x1050. Also planning on playing UT3 with this.
 
Personally, I would get the Antec 900 case for $99, get the MSI NX8800GTS 512MB at $249.99 for the same price after rebate and it's faster.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127323. The PS I would get the Corsair VX550 for $85 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004 after rebate which is more than enough for your setup. No need to get that Antec 650 watt PS. Just these 2 changes you save $100 on NewEgg. To save even more, get the Arctic Cooling Freezer Heatsink for $27
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134 and maybe get the WD 2 x 500gig Sata 300 for $100/each. But, the Seagates are good choices due to its longer 5yr warranty.
 
Based on NewEggs pricing

Case - Antec P182 - $150
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-P35DS3L - $90
CPU - Q6600 at 2.4ghz - $255
Video - MSI NX8800GTS 512MB - $250
Memory - 2 x 2 gig G.Skills for $90
Optical Drive - Samsung SATA 20X dvd burner w/lightscribe - $23
HDD - 2 x Seagate 500gig - $120/each
Heatsink - Unless you plan on overclocking, ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm - $27
PS - Corsair VX550 - $85 after rebate

Total: $1,210.00

Want to go lower?

Based on NewEggs pricing

Case - Antec P182 - $150
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-P35DS3L - $90
CPU - Q6600 at 2.4ghz - $255
Video - MSI NX8800GT 512MB - $187 after rebate
Memory - 2 x 1 gig G. Skill for $45 (2 gigs is more than enough in Win XP 32 bit)
Optical Drive - Lite On 20X IDE dvd burner w/lightscribe - $23
HDD - 2 x Western Digital 500gig - $100/each
Heatsink - Use the Stock Heatsink if not overclocking
PS - Corsair VX450 - $60 after rebate with free shipping
http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-vx-450w-power-supply/q/loc/101/205466485.html

Total: $1,010
 
Ah thanks for the suggestions. I'm wondering if I should use 64-bit Vista instead of 32-bit XP now...

So if I don't plan on overclocking, i shouldn't need an after-market cooler? I just want the CPU to be good for 3-4 years.
 
Nope, use the stock HS/F. I have a Quad Acer system and it runs fine with the stock heatsink. No issues when I play games on Vista also. I must mention that some games such at UT3 looks nicer in Vista as oppose to XP. UT3 is one game that supports DX10


Ah thanks for the suggestions. I'm wondering if I should use 64-bit Vista instead of 32-bit XP now...

So if I don't plan on overclocking, i shouldn't need an after-market cooler? I just want the CPU to be good for 3-4 years.
 
If you want to save a little more also, the MSI NX8800GT on NewEgg is only $187 also. You save $63. It is like 5-10% slower than the GTS 512mb.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127329

Also, Corsair has the VX450 power supply with 33amps on the +12V rail. A little weaker than the VX550 with 41amps. But still, this is more than enough to run your setup. Buy.com has this for $60 with free shipping. You save $25 from the VX550 on NewEgg.

http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-vx-450w-power-supply/q/loc/101/205466485.html

Corsair PS are very efficient, stable and very reliable. Highly recommended!
 
I see that you're in good hands here with HardwareGuru. You're pretty much set with his advice.

However, one thing puzzles me. Why the two 500GB drives from different manufacturers?
 
Well, all I need is something to add up to 1 TB. Seagate is much faster than Western Digital, so I use the Seagate to boot up Windows and then use the WD as a data dump.
 
LOL, I was thinking the same thing to. I was like: "Why did he put 1 of each?" But, as far as speed between the 2 drives, it's not anything dramatic in performance. Both Seagate and WD spindle speed is 7200rpm and both interface is Sata 300. The only difference is that the Seagate has 32mb cache over 16mb on the WD. Highly unlikely you will see a big difference based on this alone. However, nothing wrong with having 1 x seagate and 1 x WD drive.


However, one thing puzzles me. Why the two 500GB drives from different manufacturers?
 
Back
Top