Trying to learn the WASD Controls.

How do you guys lean with Q and E? It's just so... hindering. You can't lean and strafe at the same time.
 
I may have never joined the WASD way of thinking if not for the extra keys on my G15 keyboard. Having all the extra keys Memory keys, is just like have the number keypad.

I just wish they would make a gaming mouse that had 6 buttons for the Thumb to use, 3 is so limited.
 
Majin said:
I may have never joined the WASD way of thinking if not for the extra keys on my G15 keyboard. Having all the extra keys Memory keys, is just like have the number keypad.

I just wish they would make a gaming mouse that had 6 buttons for the Thumb to use, 3 is so limited.

I've often thought that a mouse with 4 "main" buttons (with the wheel between the forefinger and middle finger buttons) and 2 side triggers would be ideal.

In terms of WASD having more mappings...what about the numberpad with the arrows? Here's my usual setup for games that I use the keyboard with:

Arrows = movement
CTRL = crouch
Shift = lean left
Numberpad 1 = lean right
Numberpad 0 = misc. function I need to use often (or like prone)
Numberpad 4 = grenades
Enter = Binoculars (or something similar)
DEL = Reload
Mouse1 = Fire
Mouse2 = Jump
Mouse3 = Use
Mouse4 (top side button) = Run toggle
Mouse 5 (buttom side button) = Alt fire
Mousewheel = Weapon select

For Insert/Home/PgUp/PgDown you can map other quick buttons.
You then have most of the numberpad for misc. "command team" or "item select" type of things.

It's comfy for me, but use what you like. I don't think any game needs to be played using a certain setup.
 
when i first started i used arrows it got annoying to change WASD so i just switched over.

just start playing counter strike with WASD youll learn fast
 
I've been using middle mouse button for my forward for eons now. I don't even remember what I used for forward before the middle mouse button was introduced. Might have been right click if I remember correctly. Any way here's how I roll...

Middle mouse (scroll wheel push)=Forward
Q= Strafe Left
W= Strafe Right
A= Backwards
L Shift= Crouch
L Ctrl=Sprint
Space=Jump
S= Lean left (if available in game)
D=Lean Right (if available in game)
E=Use
R=Reload
T=Prone

With all the available inputs on Mice these days, all of my Alt Fire, Zooming and weapon switching is done right on the mouse. Except when I need to quick draw I go up to the 1,2,3,4,5 number keys.I just never felt comfortable holding down a key with my left hand to move forward.
 
electech98 said:
I used to use QWSD for the longest time before I trained myself to use WASD. Q was left-strafe, W forward, S backward, F right-strafe. That seemed to be a bit more natural position for my fingers.

I just tried that and got a total hand cramp. :eek:
 
Nobody out there still using joystick+mouse or joystick+trackball? Remember a few people from the q/q2 days who did that.

Speaking of WASD, my fingers are sore from playing CS:Source for about 8 hours straight yesterday. :p
 
eastvillager said:
Nobody out there still using joystick+mouse or joystick+trackball? Remember a few people from the q/q2 days who did that.

Speaking of WASD, my fingers are sore from playing CS:Source for about 8 hours straight yesterday. :p

I use a pad+mouse, but I'm more than capable of using a joystick. I've done it before. Not sure if they're still on sale, but the old MS Sidewinder sticks used to work great with a mouse. I actually knew one guy who had a strange "double joystick" setup that allowed him to play FPS games almost like Smash TV.
What people don't seem to realize is that your movement is the same regardless of what means you're using. Joysticks and pads actually offer analog, too.
The whole advantage of FPS games on the PC is only the mouse you're using for vision. You could use an Atari stick to move and you'd still be no worse off than a keyboard. The keyboard offers more "hotkeys", but there are pads and sticks that have quite a few buttons, too.
As long as you're using a mouse for vision, everything else is just "what works for you."
 
I'm still trying to figure out how in the heck WASD became the universal default, and not ESDF. I mean, ESDF is home position and the F key is even marked so you don't have to look to find it if you move your hand. You also can access more keys from this position. WASD has just never made a bit of sense to me :/ I've gotten pretty used to shifting all my binds one key over in the configs :p
 
eastvillager said:
Speaking of WASD, my fingers are sore from playing CS:Source for about 8 hours straight yesterday. :p

I started playing CS:Source the other day and I have to say, Couter Strike still sucks. I jumped in the game, having not played CS in at least a year, and made it in the top 3 on my first game. Then played more and more games and each time found my self either in 1st or the top 3. It's so basic, I guess thats why people like it.
 
I play RDFG moslty to be able to lean with A and S withouth taking my hands off of at least 3 keys or having to move my hand at all. I've tried them all and it was overall the best for myself. It also gives you about the right number of number keys up top for weapon switch outs again without really having to move your hand - as well as the space bar in just the right position and right and left alt easily reached with the thumb and pinky.
 
I used to be bound to my arrow keys. Many hours of default layout Oblivion fixed that for me. Can't do anything but WASD now.
 
WASD sucks for forward/backwards.....right mouse button for forward, F for backwards, S and D for strafe left/right, left mouse for firing, A for alternate fire or shotgun (depending on game), CAPSLOCK for sprint/walk, mouse 3 and 4 for weapons switching, plus middle mouse for RL, wheel up and wheel down for various weapons changes, inverted mouse, Z-X-C-V-B for prone/stand/super weapon, W-E for lean left/right, U for chat, I for team chat, H for flashlight, G for grenades, SHIFT for crouch, the rest just depends....yeah weird.... :p
 
When you're all saying "arrow keys," do you mean the four standalone arrow keys, or the keypad?

I used the keypad for most of my gaming right up through the last few months until I got tired of figuring out schemes for remapping. Oblivion is one of the first games I've played with WASD. Before, + was usually jump, keypad Enter for crouch, 5 reload, and that left 7 9 1 3 0 . / * and - for other things like run/use/map/inventory. The only thing I really didnt like was that games handle Number Lock differently. Some treat the pad as all different keys when it's on, and some ignore it.

I hate the default controls in racing games, and always remap them to keypad for directions plus ASDF - S accelerates, D brakes, F handbrakes, A is extra in some games and nitrous in Need for Speed, and Space is look back.
 
Shark-MegaByte said:
When you're all saying "arrow keys," do you mean the four standalone arrow keys, or the keypad?
The four stand alone arrow keys are wat we are talking about.
 
I stick my pinky on control, ring on "a", middle on "w", index on "d", and thumb on spacebar. Just use your regular fingers to reach for the extra keys and it will come to you eventually. WASD takes a while to get used to, but you will love it eventually and probably prefer it over the arrow keys.
 
Yup, there's a good reason why WASD is the most commonly used set of controls.

In a similar vein, I "learn" to get a bit better control over my pinky finger on my left hand by switching my duck to ctrl rather than the "C" key, this has made walking around which crouched much easier.

Funny because i never had a problem with my pinky finger for left shift as walk...
 
I used the arrows religiously too up till last year but lan'ing so much on other pc's and eveyone else using the regulars I hated rebinding all the time and hearing the constant griping. I just said F it and started. if you have dexterity as I am sure you do...just get in there and pwn it!
 
Back
Top