Trying to learn the WASD Controls.

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
For over 10 years I have been useing the Arrow Keys, I think it started back in the days of the original Doom days. Ever sense I have always had to go in and change the controls on games to the way I have been playing for so long. Recently I have seen some cool control pads come out that are based on the WASD control layout, and thought they would be cool. but to use them I need to learn how to play useing the WASD layout. its not as simple as just hitting the default button on the controls setup, I have no idea what anything does. is there somewhere I can go to print out the defauly controls for games such as BF2 and UT2004?
I have thought something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823146002 this would help me make the switch. But i think what would be even beter is just a print out of the default controls.

Unfortunately, not that I know of but then again I have not really did a "google" search for that kind of stuff. What you are thinking of is making a keyboard overlay so that you would have these either on your keyboard or just off to the side for reference.

You could make a text document of these keybindings and print them out or you could fork over a bit of cash and get a Zboard with the overlay as an alternative.

I know your pain Diablo2K, I just did the switch my self after 12 years of using the arrows. I always hated the WASD layout, I thought it was too easy to hit the wrong key, I liked the arrows limited options for mistake.

Now I am kicking my self for not doing this sooner. I find my self only adjusting the key options for 1 - 3 keys now, instead of remaping every god damned key for every god damned game I play.

WASD is almost as good as my N52 game pad.

I have not looked in some time but don’t they still list the default controls in the game manual?

Do you have the games already? If you do, I always figured most games had a button you hit to reset all of the keys. If they don't most FPS titles usually follow the same config with slight alterations.

I have used the arrow keys forever, until I played Oblivion, then I started using wasd for that game, but then I started to use wasd for other fps games, but then I go back to using the arrows and do a lot better.

Right now I have a sheet of Paper with the commands written on it. I guess it will work well enough. I guess the hardest part is keeping your hand in the WASD position, I keep moving over towards the arrow keys when I have to move my hand off the keyboard for some reason. I had what I would consider a strange key layout I use to use, liked the arrow keys because you had more of a tactil feel of where all the keys were, alot of the time you cant tell if your on WASD or if your on TFGH without actually looking. the reason I am switching is because I am tired of having to redo the controls to my liking and I am running out of keys around the arrows, seems every new game comes out uses more and more keys. Thats more and more keys I have to figure out where to switch them to. useing WASD I can just use the defaults and learn the new locations.

Wow I thought I was really late to switch. I switched when UT came out. (I skipped over the Quake series for many years, a sin I know). I couldn’t come close to competing trying to control everything from the arrows. Everyone seems so concerned with the best gaming mouse and so on but maybe the biggest gaming improvement would come from Mavis Beacon. Who would have thought?

BTW I am not trying to rag on you guys in anyway. I am just totally amazed you all made it this far on the arrows. How the heck do you handle lean left and right with out Q, E in the games that support it?

heh, i find it funny that people are still using arrow keys, i switched to wasd during the quake 1 days and never looked back.. arrow keys are so uncomfortable, unless your a lefty, and gives you much less accessiblity to other keys

I made the switch about three years ago. Maybe less. I use an N52 now for my FPS gaming, but I can use WSAD just as well.

I still don't like how the WSAD keys line up when compared to the arrow keys (which is why I like the N52 so much) but even so, I recognized the problem of not having enough buttons when playing FPS games. Most of the modern games simply need too many buttons for the arrow keys to be feasable any more.

You play with WSAD for a few days solid, you should get used to it pretty quickly.

What all games need is an ESDF key toggle. I still don't get why people can't get that down. It's the same as your regular typing position. Plus if you want to lean or dodge, you can just use W and R, or A and G.

Arrows FTW :) yeah i'm a lefty and never liked wasd so if a game can't do full remap then i won't buy/play it

only time i ever used wasd was in WoW.

i dont use wasd for fps, i use alt (straife left) / (jump) shift (back) ctrl (straife right)
right mouse button is move forward. I also got side buttons on my mouse that does special function (i.e. weapons) and i use period to reload and the left button on the arrow keys to drop weapons. I use space bar for "use". Enter to "use inventory item". Middle mouse button to switch back to prev weapon.

I know it sounds like a weird key setup, but i really like it. My reflexes are more atuned to react faster than in the wasd setup. True, i miss the fact of using the whole entire left section of the keyboard (especially the numbers) but whatever actions i need, i can bind it to my extra mouse button, or in a location adjacent to my ring and index fingers.

I've been using WER +(right mouse) for the longest time. I think when I finally start playing again I'll go to WASD. I use the right mouse button to move forward. I think I started doing controls that way after some demo had weird defaults. Was always fun for me to see someone hop on a computer I was playing on and try to figure out the controls. Makes it a little more awkward for me to make the switch to WASD now.

I think you just have to take your time with the transition, just keep playing using the new key setup and it will get better... I made the switch from arrows (had been using them for 10 or so years, - since doom shareware came out) and am totally used to them now.. I made the change like two years ago.. only took about a month to make it feel quite normal.. I love being able to leave my KB in the same spot all the time now.. and the quick access to specific weapon keys is awesome. w00t.

I can see the advantages for sure the only disadvantage I can think of is no real good "Feel" of where exactly your hand is on the keyboard, but I think once I get use to it, I will get the "Feel".
my Most common arrow setup went something like this,
Arrow Keys is to move, forward, Back Strafe Left, Right.
keypad INS = alt weapon
keypad 1 = reload
Right Control = use
Right Shift = Sprint
Del = Lean Left
Page Down = Lean Right
End = Zoom or other function
Enter = Ingame VOIP
Right mouse = jump
Center mouse = Duck
Mouse 4 = prone
mouse 5 = Teamspeak Push to talk
with this setup I found myself always having to move my hand to do things like check score, buy weapons, and do more and more as games get more complex, it has worked really well actually up intil about the last year, there was a demo or to that you couldn't change the controls for so you had to use WASD, and there more complex ontrols in games recently has made it dificult, plus if you do a format reinstall of windows you have to set up every game you install, plus when demo's come out you have to set them up also, it has gotten to be a pain.

After I abandoned the arrows years ago I went with the ASDX setup. It makes more sense keeping the forward right in line with straifing. Plus it gives you W to use for anything. However about when BF2 came out, I finally said fark it and learned how to stick with WASD. I was tired of constantly reassigning keys everytime I installed a game, or formated.

I think any key combo, you get used to pretty quick.

I spent the dough a bit ago and bought a Z-Board. I like it alot. I dont use their defined layouts for any games, I just use my own and map it out on a piece of paper after mapping the keys in the options.
The new board looks better, the MERC I think they call it. The WASD area is larger and looks more refined.
I really cant go back now to the standard keyboard.
Give it a try, its worth 25 bucks. :D

Diablo2K said:
its not as simple as just hitting the default button on the controls setup, I have no idea what anything does. is there somewhere I can go to print out the defauly controls for games such as BF2 and UT2004?

Yes there is a place to download default keyboard layouts.

http://www.keycardhq.de/

LynxFX said:
After I abandoned the arrows years ago I went with the ASDX setup. It makes more sense keeping the forward right in line with straifing. Plus it gives you W to use for anything. However about when BF2 came out, I finally said fark it and learned how to stick with WASD. I was tired of constantly reassigning keys everytime I installed a game, or formated.

I think any key combo, you get used to pretty quick.

wtf, why haven't i thought of this?! lol great idea I'm going to try this out, thanks =]

edit: forget it, it's wayyyyyyyy too uncomfortable :/

I was using arrows until HL1 came out. Quake 1 & 2, I used the arrow keys, no mouse...yeah, I know. Ever since switching to WASD, games just feel so much more natural. Believe me, WASD took some getting used to, as well as using the mouse to control my viewpoint, but I haven't looked back since Half-Life 1 showed me the error of my ways. I honestly don't know how I did it so long without the WASD layout.

Took some friends of mine a ton of making fun of and resetting keyboard controls to default to make the switch...lol

HL2 was the game that switched me to ASWD layout.
now I use a Nostromo N52 Speed Pad for gaming, makes it easier for me to play than using the keyboard.

A lot of the time I'll use a gamepad in my left hand for movement and the mouse in my right, which works great. For instance with a 360 pad (or even one of the PS2 clone pads) you have analog movement for fast and slow walking, you can press the stick "in" to toggle crouching, you have the top 2 triggers for fast reaction moves, and typically your thumb is still in each reach of the select/start style buttons for other common commands. For stuff you don't need to do quickly (radios, commanding troops, menus, etc.) you have your other pad buttons on the right or even the d-pad's directions.
Assuming your mouse has 5 buttons and a wheel, you've got most everything taken care of with that setup.
There are still afew games that don't like that set-up, so in those cases, I still like the arrows. With my desk I can slide the keyboard over so I'm not crunching my arms together. I tend to use the arrows to move, control to crouch, delete to reload, insert for any fast commands (like going prone or using a certain weapon/device) and from there I can use keys like shift, enter, end, they keypad, etc.
I don't particularly like the WASD setup and don't really have a reason to switch to it. I've tried the various "gaming keyboards" that put all of the WASD stuff off to the side, but I don't care for that either. I think you just should use what feels right. There's nothing wrong with the arrows if you like how it feels. There are still about 30 keys within reach of them!

I must be the only person I know who does NOT use WASD or the keyborad for any movement other than strafe, crouch and jump.

The most common non-WASD controls i've seen used are ESDF, its the same except shifted one key over to give them quick-access to more keys. I have one friend that uses WER+Rightmouse like the other poster here. Its a bit crazy to get used to but it sort of works, both control schemes have been used as the defaults in some very-old-school games.

Last time i used arrow keys was back in the quake1 days.

So are those mini keybords/pads really help, I see more and more fo them lately. I will be hard pressed with space on my desk, as it is now I have a Xtrac Ripper mousepad, Logitech G15 and my tower, I think I will have enough room to be comfortable but I will be out of realestate for anything else.

Thanks raz-0 for the links to the keycards, they will really help.

merlin704 said:
I must be the only person I know who does NOT use WASD or the keyborad for any movement other than strafe, crouch and jump.

Same here. I never liked the WASD setup - never worked for me at all, and I'll never give it a try again. I've been using the mouse for aiming, forward movement, primary fire, alternate fire and weapons switching ever since I started gaming on the PC. Absolutely no reason to change since I do well as is.

I use WASD
Shift- Lean left
Space- Lean right
Ctrl- Duck
Q- Jump
C- lay down
F- use
E- Melee
R- Reload

I honestly never used WASD. I kind of have a strange set up - EADF. Its just WASD moved over one row, except for the A. Its just how my hand naturally sits.

Whenever I get someone new into PC gaming (so far I've got 6 or more. ;) ) I always tell them: find your own key setup. WASD isn't the end all be all, and everyones hand sits differently. People who find WASD uncomortable but use it anyways are usually very hindered when they play FPSs, mostly if they're new at it.

RDFG for me. That way to have a full array of keys left and right without being to close to caps lock and the sift key that will bring up "sticky keys" accidentally when pressed fast too may times I use A/S for right and left lean. 5 for scope. 4 for regular zooming. spacebar for activate/use. Mouse 2 to jump. Z for toggle weapon fire mode. M for last used weaon/item. Right alt for granades. Mouse button 4 for cycling weaons. Mouse 5 to toss grenades. Mouse wheel pressed down for secondary fire. Mouse wheel roll up/down to cycle. Tab for mission info.

MasterOfNone said:
Same here. I never liked the WASD setup - never worked for me at all, and I'll never give it a try again. I've been using the mouse for aiming, forward movement, primary fire, alternate fire and weapons switching ever since I started gaming on the PC. Absolutely no reason to change since I do well as is.

Same here. I use my mouse for Forward, Aim, Fire, Secondary Fire, Reload and weapon switch. I only use the keyboard for strafe, crouch, jump and Use. :)

ESDF was engrained in me pretty well from Tribes 2.. have to have the right mouse button for jetting but the extra keys you can click on the left are a life saver for all the extra stuff you could do. A would toggle zoom while the scroll wheel would change the zoom or change weapons depending on if you were zoomed.

I think in reality, ANY setup can work fine and none really offer any advantages over another other than the level of comfort it provides you. It's not like somehow the W key allows you to run faster or the arrow keys make you more powerful.
If you have a setup that's comfortable and you have the ability to reach all of the keys you want/need - DO IT. I wouldn't even bother learning to use a new setup unless a game required it...and if that day were to come I think I'd likely stop gaming on the PC.

EDSF for me as well. One of the reasons for my keys. On all keyboards the F key is marked and is real easy to find the keys incase of a hand slip. I switched back when Q3 launched. I have used WASD only in a MMORPG if I cannot remap the keys. Whatever you like is what you should play with. Play a game thats fun for you is all that matters.

PNut12345 said:
I was using arrows until HL1 came out. Quake 1 & 2, I used the arrow keys, no mouse...yeah, I know. Ever since switching to WASD, games just feel so much more natural. Believe me, WASD took some getting used to, as well as using the mouse to control my viewpoint, but I haven't looked back since Half-Life 1 showed me the error of my ways. I honestly don't know how I did it so long without the WASD layout.

I used to play Quake 1 with a girl back in the day and she didn't use the mouse at all either. She just asked me one day how I layed out my keyboard and when I said I use the keyboard and mouse she was like, omg! what?! She got pretty kick ass after learning to use the mouse & keyboard.

I think it was the first Call of Duty that made me switch to WASD from the arrows. Having to take cover and go prone so dynamically really beat it into me.

It really makes a lot more sense to me in newer games where there are a lot more buttons to use. Took a bit of getting used to, but one adapts fairly quickly.

I bet no one uses mine combo. I'm not certain how it came about but all the same I use it when Quaking. It is: Shift - Ctrl - A -S. Shift - forward, Ctrl - back, a - left, s - right. I use WASD when playing BF2 - just too many mappings.

I used to use QWSD for the longest time before I trained myself to use WASD. Q was left-strafe, W forward, S backward, F right-strafe. That seemed to be a bit more natural position for my fingers.

Now:
WASD
L-mouse: Fire
M-Mouse: Secondary Fire/Zoom
R-Mouse: Jump
Space: crouch
L-Alt: prone
L-Shift: speed/walk
R: Reload
E: same as M-Mouse, unless used for leaning along with Q

Back