Trying to install a 2nd copy of XP....

yegor

Limp Gawd
I need to test some things, so I created a 20GB primary partition to install another copy of Win XP. I booted from the CD, and it told me that it couldn't find any hard drives.

I got a 150GB raptor (which is running the OS)
RAID array
300GB backup drive (which I split into 2 partitions).

All of the drives are SATA. When Iw as doing a clean install for the first time, it detected all my drives, I dont get why this is happening.

Can I install XP to another drive from within Windows XP?

"RAID array"

Did you install the drivers via F6 from a floppy ?

Assuming you have a floppy. The geniuses at Microsoft have created a nice catch 22 that you're experiencing. The OS doesn't have support for the SATA drives natively, so you need to load them from a floopy, and floppy only, drive during the install process. Of course, nobody has those anymore. You'll need to slipstream the drivers onto the install disc. If you paid for the windows software, I'd call Microsoft and lose it at them. It's rediculous.

But it installed on the SATA drive just fine on this and all other computers I have. I dont have a floppy drive, nor any SATA drivers. :eek:

The RAID array shouldn't be an issue, since Im not installing anything on it.

why not run a VMWare copy? it would be much easier than playing with partitions and such...unless that's what you are trying to test

Back