Trying to find out why my Verizon DSL is slow

merc141

Limp Gawd
I have been trying to find out why my internet connection (Verizon DSL) has been so incredibly slow lately (past 2 months or so). At first I thought that the problem was my computer but now I am not so sure. Before I would sometimes open up 5 or 6 tabs in firefox (using 3.5.1 right now) and would have no problems, it would take a few seconds to load all of them. Now it might take about 25 seconds to just load yahoo up, before it was almost instantaneous. Using XP pro, I have done the usual things, update firefox (changed the about:config to speed things up), the usual spyware programs (AdAware, Spybot, MAlwarebytes, CCleaner, AVG) and nothing comes up. I even tried to Reset the TCP/IP Stack but that hasn't helped either (http://www.xp-smoker.com/freeware.html)

I am beginning to suspect that Verizon DSL has changed the terms of my agreement with them or altered my alotted bandwidth or somehow changed it so that it is the slowest shit on earth. How would I go about finding this out? I hate calling customer service with Verizon, the last time I dealt with them I was trying to get them to send me a new DSL modem but they blamed it on my router (linksys) and then linksys would blame the Verizon modem. I am not about to waste an afternoon troubleshooting simple stuff, they would just give me the run around and blame my computer for their crappy service.

Are there any ideas on what I can do? I might be able to upgrade to Fios but am not sure.

What speeds have you ordered? Your mileage may vary depending on usage at the time, but if you ordered, say, their 7.1Mbps plan and you're only getting around 1.5Mbps, then there's a problem.

What speeds have you ordered? Your mileage may vary depending on usage at the time, but if you ordered, say, their 7.1Mbps plan and you're only getting around 1.5Mbps, then there's a problem.

No it is the 3Mbps plan. I am considering upgradin to the 7.1Mbps one.

No it is the 3Mbps plan. I am considering upgradin to the 7.1Mbps one.

The phone line is often over looked. I was having problems where for over a month I was only getting half my speeds. My DSL line is a direct connection to the box out side my house so it's independent of the phone wiring. Anyway some how one of the two phone wires in my DSL like broke/cracked and lost connection. My DSL was able to maintain a connection through the single wire but my speed was halved. I replaced the wire to my box and every things been great since.

Anyway it's easy to rule out a wiring issue. Just take the phone line out of the router and connect it to a phone to make sure it's working properly.

Edit: “It's easy to rule out a wiring issue like I had”

I'd be trying to figure out why you are only getting about half your advertised, before ordering (and paying) for more.

I understand the whole customer service blame game, it sucks. See if you can test another computer (friends laptop?). Then I'd rip through a hard reset on the Linksys modem. Backup settings, update firmware and reset settings.

Test speeds again. If they are still not up to par, get Verizon on the phone and don't let them tell you it's your problem. Get Level 2 tech support and then go from there.

Can you post the stats on your DSL connection? Things like retrains, signal to noise ratio, etc.

I would also post this over in the Verizon forum at dslreports.com
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

also, if easily accessible, the NID (network interface device/telephone box) on the side of the house should have a test jack, that will bypass all internal wiring. Hook the modem up directly to the test jack and test again.

This will distinguish whether the issue is on the customer's end or ISP's end.

Although they are not always easily accessible depending on the type of housing it is.

another thing you could try... see if you can find the internal IP and admin username and password on your DSL modem. 99% of DSL modems have some sort of web GUI. Log in to that and see what rates the modem is actualyl syncing up at to the telco's DSLAM.

I'd be trying to figure out why you are only getting about half your advertised, before ordering (and paying) for more.

I understand the whole customer service blame game, it sucks. See if you can test another computer (friends laptop?). Then I'd rip through a hard reset on the Linksys modem. Backup settings, update firmware and reset settings.

Test speeds again. If they are still not up to par, get Verizon on the phone and don't let them tell you it's your problem. Get Level 2 tech support and then go from there.

Yeah I talked with verizon and they are going to upgrade me for the same price I am currently paying, plus they are going to send me a new DSL modem. When I was having technical difficulties with my current DSL modem I wasn't able to access it in any sort of web interface at all. I am not even sure how to access it, I have no idea what port it would be. Besides this DSL modem has been discontinued for several years now (Westell B90-210015) I told the lady at verizon that it was turning yellow, she got a kick out of that. I am hoping my new modem will solve the problem.

Ethernet Connection

If you’re connecting via the Ethernet connection, connect the power and CAT5 cable, and then follow the steps below:

1, Configure your PC with an IP in the range of 192.168.1.2 – 192.168.1.254 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 (ensuring not to set it as the same as another PC on your network)
2, Reboot your PC if necessary, and then follow the usual steps below. You can change your IP back to what it used to be after setup has completed, just ensure to set the default gateway on all clients to that of the 2100 (default 192.168.1.1)

Once the above installation has been carried out, open up a web browser and type in the address bar 192.168.1.1 (the default IP for the 2100), you will be greeted with the below wizard:

http://www.dsldepot.com/download.asp?fileid=25
:D

Back