Trying To Decide Between Two Laptop Models

joejoejoe123

Limp Gawd
I am a Teaching Assistant at a University this semester, and I can no longer only rely on my desktop. The time has come to get something more portable.

These are the two configurations I have come up with to choose between, and I'm trying to decide if the more expensive model is worth the extra cash. I've been custom building desktops for nearly 15 years, so this is a weird change for me.

Which would you go with and why?

1jqcf8.jpg

VS

ruv91u.jpg

One is a quad core, one is a dual core. In single core loads, both share the same turbo clock (for these two specific models). [edit: lol, I just realized it already says that in the two descriptions...:(]

Otherwise, quad core has more sheer power for tasks that can utilize it. What tasks they are, will decide if the quad core is worth it.

One is a quad core, one is a dual core. In single core loads, both share the same turbo clock (for these two specific models). [edit: lol, I just realized it already says that in the two descriptions...:(]

Otherwise, quad core has more sheer power for tasks that can utilize it. What tasks they are, will decide if the quad core is worth it.

I'm trying to see what I use that would even implement all of those cores. Handbrake is used for encoding video on my desktop, but I don't plan on switching over to the laptop for that task. Other than that, I think most programs I use are strictly dual core as of now so the higher clock speed would make more sense.

I don't even have a blu ray drive on my desktop, so I don't think I'd miss it on a lappy.

Totally depends, im sadly moving away from a desktop and going with a dv6 quad edition. Are you getting the 6770m because you plan to game? If this is strictly a work laptop keep the 6490m instead.

Totally depends, im sadly moving away from a desktop and going with a dv6 quad edition. Are you getting the 6770m because you plan to game? If this is strictly a work laptop keep the 6490m instead.

The Intel HD Graphics 3000 is the default choice. For $100 more, I get the 6490M. For $125 more, I get the 6770M.

If I'm not gaming, which I do not intend to really be doing on this system, is there any other reason to get the video card or should I save the hundred bucks? Does it impact playback of say 720p or 1080p mkv files or HD online video?

I haven't heard of any playback issues with the hd3000, notebookcheck forums is the best place to go to see if the dv7 has any issues with 720 and 1080 playback. If you want to hook this up to a TV or monitor I would recommend getting the discrete option (6490 or 6770m)

I haven't heard of any playback issues with the hd3000, notebookcheck forums is the best place to go to see if the dv7 has any issues with 720 and 1080 playback. If you want to hook this up to a TV or monitor I would recommend getting the discrete option (6490 or 6770m)

Reading up there right now, and connecting to a TV might be the deal breaker. I'd probably rather spend 125 more and have all the horsepower I need than not have that option ever. That'd be cheaper than buying a separate HTPC as well.

I'll try to find some real examples of people using the chip to play 1080p on a tv monitor.

Thanks for the advice. If you happen to know of any links where it mentions using the HD 3000 to drive 1080p on a tv, that'd be great.

Edit: Apparently the HD3000 is more than capable of 1080p playback on a larger monitor. Trying to decide on whether the 100 extra is worth it for any practical reason.

Last edited:
Edit: Apparently the HD3000 is more than capable of 1080p playback on a larger monitor. Trying to decide on whether the 100 extra is worth it for any practical reason.

I was recommending the discrete over integrated on a personal issue (sorry should of stated that earlier). I've had issues with using integrated GPU's, wether it being the HD3200, Nvidia's ION or the HD2000 (haven't done the HD3000 yet). I've had "issues" before and for me its worth the upgrade to by pass the minor head aches I've had in the past.

I'll see if I can dig up any issues for you regarding the HD3000 and hooking it up to a monitor/TV, especially if you want to use it as a part time HTPC, which honestly is an excellent idea!

edit: Well the few threads I just looked up all claimed the newer video drivers from intel has fixed a majority of the issues when connecting the HD3000 to a LCD tv.

I guess really its up to you if you think having that extra power is worth the $125 now, the 6490 is fine but again the $25 upgrade to a 6770m is fairly impressive (I'm doing it).

Last edited:
Neither dont you read the news hp is spinning off the pc portion of its business bad times for hp pc purchases

Go look at other brands. Im kinda partial to the build quality of lenovo, toshiba and sony laptops personally. Dell and hp are on my shit list.

My friend has a lenovo netbook that his dog knocked to the floor from a 3.5 - 4 foot height it hit the concrete hard and still works today with no damage from the fall my brother has a really nice sony laptop very solid very well made and he uses it to play movies on his tv over hdmi. My friend owns 2 toshiba a hp and a dell laptop only the toshiba have not needed parts replaced and still work flawlessly. His dell he had the chassis replaced because the hinges broke and the screen fell off. Oh he did have his older toshiba have one issue the lcd panel died and he got it replaced free.

A client of mine bought a dell at black friday sales in 4 months the battery died and dell told him it does not have a warentee and a new batery is 350 which is more than he paied for the thing new. Then it turns out there is a problem with the charging circuit on this model and it usially stops working if you use a 3rd party battery.

Last edited:
Back