• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Trying to clean some dust off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinstu

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 11, 2007
Messages
3,563
I've had some dust on my D200 for awhile, but haven't bothered to clean it because I never removed my lens and most of the time the f-number doesn't get really narrow (22, etc).

So I took a ref photo, saw my dust, threw my camera in MUP mode, the mirror flips up, and (holding the camera pointed down) blow w/ my large rocket blower.

The mirror only seems to stay up for 30 seconds and then it closes. The first pic is how it originally was, and the three pics after are the effects of constant blowing for the 30 sec.

Some bits are gone completely, one piece seems to keep moving around. There is one rather long hair-type thing that doesn't want to move.

Should I just keep blowing it w/ the rocket blower? Should I mess around with a dust-off photo or whatever it's called?

EDIT: don't mind the big long line on the left side, I was taking a picture of my LCD screen @ a blank MS Paint document.
 
Last edited:
You should put it into sensor cleaning mode where it keeps the sensor up. Canon has this feature, I'm sure Nikon has something similar...
 
You should put it into sensor cleaning mode where it keeps the sensor up. Canon has this feature, I'm sure Nikon has something similar...

The D200 doesn't have a sensor cleaning mode. Only putting it in mirror lockup or the dust-off ref photo. Or atleast that I'm aware of, searching around comes up with manual techniques.
 
the mirror lockup is what you're looking for. as the name implies, it will lock the mirror up with the press of the shutter button, and it will stay up until you turn off your camera. make sure your battery is fully charged, otherwise the camera might not let you do that.

i've only cleaned my sensor once, but i've never really had anything major on it, with an exception of few dust particles right after i got my camera, and i took care of those with the rocket blower. if your problems are really bad, and dust blower doesn't do anything, then you might want to invest in the cleaning kit: http://www.copperhillimages.com/
 
Blowers are only going to remove so much dust from the top element of the sensor. To really get it clean your a) going to have to send it in to Nikon/ local shop to have it cleaned professionally or b) pickup a Copperhill kit to do it yourself.

I can vouch for the Copperhill method. I've used on my XSI and had no issues. Just follow the instructions and you won't have any problems. This reminds me that I need to pickup a sensorswipe for my 50d.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top