Trying to budget for my next big upgrade: When will AMD release the 9000 CPUs?

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
So I'm thinking that when I upgrade to the AMD 9000 CPU, I will do a general systems upgrade. Right now I'm running an AMD 7900x but I'm unhappy with my motherboard. RAM, maybe a new GPU card, almost definitely a new motherboard. I need to plan ahead so that my Chief Financial Officer is on board. Any ideas about AMD 9000 pricing, DDR 5 pricing for really fast parts. Will companies like ASUS release new or upgraded motherboards for the AMD 9000?

I know this is all sometime in 2024. Or maybe early 2025? I hope you guys all understand.
:happy:

the smiley indicates to me that your know youre asking pointless questions no one knows the answers to. ask again in a couple years.

You might as well be asking about the meaning of life when it comes to specific pricing. In terms of availability, 8000-series parts aren't even available yet. You aren't going to be able to price or even put a name on anything this far in advance. I'd just budget for whatever tier of computer you want costs today and tack on 20% for the hell of it.

the smiley indicates to me that your know youre asking pointless questions no one knows the answers to. ask again in a couple years.
Not really. I'm did a smiley because I can't just decide on my own to spend signficant $$$ on PC upgrades. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation.

I appreciate Domingo 's suggestion to add 20% to the cost of the same components last time I bought them. In the absense of better information, that's what I should do.

8xxx CPUs will be out some time in 1H24 I read somewhere. 9xxx CPUs are likely 2 years away. I have yet to see any leaks about 2nd gen AM5 chipsets. as far as costs go Domingo is correct.

8xxx CPUs will be out some time in 1H24 I read somewhere. 9xxx CPUs are likely 2 years away. I have yet to see any leaks about 2nd gen AM5 chipsets. as far as costs go Domingo is correct.
I also haven't seen anything about gen 2 AM5 chipsets/700-series motherboards. I'm content with my MSI B650 Tomahawk, but would like to move to something higher-end when I get a Zen 5 CPU at the end of 2024.

Reactions: TMCM
like this
I also haven't seen anything about gen 2 AM5 chipsets/700-series motherboards. I'm content with my MSI B650 Tomahawk, but would like to move to something higher-end when I get a Zen 5 CPU at the end of 2024.
I got a X670E Tomahawk with a 7800X3D in Sept with the intent on putting whatever the last AM5 cpu released in it when they switch sockets.

I appreciate @Domingo 's suggestion to add 20% to the cost of the same components last time I bought them. In the absense of better information, that's what I should do
Since it appears that inflation will continue to rise unabated well into 24-25, perhaps you should recalculate using 30-40% instead of 20%, especially for memory & storage parts :(

Back