• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Trusted website with PC reviews

mildante

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
252
Hello, would you please suggest a gaming website with PC game reviews that can be trusted and where they have interesting news and updates from the gaming industry? Thank you.
 
2nd for Kotaku. I also frequent Shacknews, which is very similar, content-wise.

It's not specifically a gaming site, but I've found Ars Technica to have some of the most thorough reviews out there. They don't accept free review copies in a show of integrity and they're almost always the last site to put up a review. They're incredibly thorough and really give the game a fair play-through before writing. They also have lots of interesting tech/science articles all the time.
 
Thank you guys. Thanks for the tips. Shacknews and Ars Technica look nice. Kotaku looks interesting but it is probably not my cup of coffee so to say. Is there anything more traditional - something like IGN and mainly focused on PC gaming?
 
My Favorite is Zero Punctuation. Yahtzee's game reviews are both hilarious and usually spot on.
I used to read PC Gamer until they turned into PC Lamer. IGN's reviews are not half bad sometimes.
 
I look at gamerankings.com or you could use metacritic, and see what everyone has rated the game. This lets you see the average, and also lets you find the opinions of those who didn't like a game and point out its worst flaws, and those who loved a game and highlight it's features. I don't put much faith in the reviews of a single person, other than Zero Punctuation ;).
 
I read Giantbomb, Joystiq, Kotaku, Destructoid, and Idle Thumbs. I feel like their podcasts are the best way to really understand how the reviewers feel about a certain game. The forums and checking your friends steam profiles to see what they are playing is also a pretty safe bet.
 
I look at gamerankings.com or you could use metacritic, and see what everyone has rated the game. This lets you see the average, and also lets you find the opinions of those who didn't like a game and point out its worst flaws, and those who loved a game and highlight it's features. I don't put much faith in the reviews of a single person, other than Zero Punctuation ;).

+1 :D
 
Giant Bomb is the only site I trust for reviews. If I want a good high level indication, I'll ping metacritic.com. Kotaku is a sham, they report anything someone posts at NeoGaf. :rolleyes:
 
zero punctuation reviews are great. They were spot on for almost every game that i have also played
 
I wouldn't say Zero Punctuation's reviews are "accurate", with the exception of the basic explanations of a game, but they are absolutely hilarious. :D

Some of the negative points (which is what most reviews are comprised of, "bashing") are sometimes correct, but it's really just "ranting witty cynicism". Again, hilarious, but not always very accurate, or informative, at least not in terms of the positive to any game or in terms of getting into any real depth about a game. It's meant to be humorous and negative, primarily.

The only "trusted" reviews the majority of the time are reviews and opinions given by gamers themselves, though that can vary and be as skewed as any "official review", in truth.

IGN is hit-or-miss... sometimes reviews are in-depth and spot-on, and other times they're uninspired and not as informative as they should be.

GameTrailers does some decent reviews, and occasionally GameSpot does as well, though I don't frequent the latter all that often anymore.
 
For news I like BluesNews and N4G (PC tab). N4G is kind of like Digg except for gaming news.
 
The thing with reviewing something like games which are highly subjective is that you need to find a review site/reviewers/gaming community that is somewhat close to your own opinions for the best results. Always focus on what people write as their reasoning, not the end scores/opinion.
 
Thank you guys for all the tips. I will check them all and surely find one or two that will become my favorite.

limitedaccess: good point, thank you
 
Hello, would you please suggest a gaming website with PC game reviews that can be trusted and where they have interesting news and updates from the gaming industry? Thank you.
For news, I use Kotaku and Shacknews (probably the two best available) and for reviews I use Gamespot. Vgchartz.com also has a new news and review site called gamrReview and gamrFeed. I feel they have always been very fair. For example, they rated Star Craft II a 8.9 ... most sites give it perfect or close to it.
 
I'm surprised nobody suggested looking at Metacritic or Youtube

I quit reading reviews long ago, I'd rather, look at metacritic and see what the general consensus is, and also take into account user reviews as well on average before buying a game. I also look here on this forum, if there's word of mouth you can be sure it's likely to be a really good game.

I find that it pays more to read what the AVERAGE person is saying than these whores who call themselves "professional reviewers"
 
Two people before you suggested metacritic. I guess you mean "nobody, for large values of nobody".
 
I use http://games.on.net/ a lot when referring to news in my posts here.

They do reviews for all platforms, but their PC reviews are actually true PC reviews (unlike sites like Gamespot that just copy+paste from their own console reviews and usually ignore PC-specific elements completely)...so if a PC game is a crappy console port, they are not afraid to say so in typically blunt and brutal fashion.

It is an Aussie website, so it's tailored to Aussie gamers...but the info on games and gaming news is top-notch and usually written in an interesting manner.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top