Trust SMART / CrystalDiskInfo

hotcrandel

Gawd
The Story is.

1. Build the freenas Fileserver listed below. Used an 400W Corsair Supply. (12 hard drives, so I knew I was stretching it a bit but those corsairs are usually champs)

2. While transfering data, freenas indicated one of the 2TB hitachi drives failed, smart errors, spin-up time count, etc etc.

3. Rebooted machine, looked at power supply statistics, noticed voltages outside of specifications.

4. Replaced old 400W Corsair with brand new 650W Antec green supply, as well as the "Failed" disk. Rebuilt RAIDZ2, So far 0 problems.

5. Take drive to work to RMA, full format it just for the hell of it, leave it on over night. CrystalDiskInfo/SMART isn't indicated anymore problems.

Is this drive reasonably trust-worthy, or should I still RMA it?

Below is a link to the SMART info provided.

hitachi.png

Last edited:
Since you have freenas you probably have a program called badblocks. Use that to do a 4 pass destructive read write test on the drive. You have to do that from the shell so you will most likely not see this in a GUI menu. This is my basic method I use to determine whether on not a drive goes out for an RMA. If there are any bad blocks (drive not retaining data) after 4 passes of badblocks I then RMA the drive. I have used this procedure for the last 50 or so RMAs at work.

Recently I had an unstable sector on a WD20EARS. I did a full format expecting to get a reallocated sector, but instead the SMART is now pristine.

Recently I had an unstable sector on a WD20EARS. I did a full format expecting to get a reallocated sector, but instead the SMART is now pristine.

Recently with WDC, I have seen this a few times with new drives having UREs. After a full format these are erased and not accounted for.

I have seen this a few times as well, and it is not just WD. Some of the Seagate Momentus laptop drives did it too. If a sector was marked as bad in the map and a spare was used to replace, the next time you did a complete wipe of the drive and/or wrote out more that whatever the threshold was, the SMART reset that particular key.

The answer to your question was provided in your first post. PSU voltage was out of spec. Once the power issue was corrected, the drive functioned normally. This is not unexpected behavor as motors require significatly MORE curent when they first spin up... You can only pull so much out of the PSU before it becomes unstable and this is what happened.

The answer to your question was provided in your first post. PSU voltage was out of spec. Once the power issue was corrected, the drive functioned normally. This is not unexpected behavor as motors require significatly MORE curent when they first spin up... You can only pull so much out of the PSU before it becomes unstable and this is what happened.

This. Test the drive as suggested then see if it needs RMA. I'd bet that it doesn't.

Back