Trust relationship

StefanPeeters

Weaksauce
Hi,
Does anyone knows how this comes? I know how to fix this but don't know the reason.
The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domein failed.
Thanks

Could be a few reasons...
corruption on the domain controller (or someone was testing restore functions?)
workstation is using DNS other than the DC (your DC is doing DHCP/DNS right?)
someone created a new computer using the same name
Someone or some app removed the PC from the domain (do you still see the pc name in AD users&computers on the DC?)

Hi,
Thanks for your swift reply. I have arround 330 hosts in my domain but its none of the above.

Was the machine offline for a long time? Did someone disable/reset the computer object in AD?

Wish I could remember how I solved this before.... I am thinking I did a System Restore?? :confused:

Whenever I see this I remove it from the domain and add it back, ensuring to reset the AD object should it still exist.

This normally happens due the computer account being deleted in AD, or if you join a computer to the domain with a name already in use, or if the computer hasn't contacted the domain in a long time. I think it's 6+ months.

Have you verified the time on the server and on the suspect host machine? They should be identical, or at least within a few minutes.

It's usually because the computer account's password (on the client) changed and it isn't in sync with the PDC Emulator (Active Directory). You could set the Maximum machine account password age to 0, and that could fix the issue. However, this is a security risk and I would run it by your IT Security Officer/IT Auditor first before implementing it.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2009/02/15/test2.aspx

Back