Trust large heatsinks without a backplate?

Gutspiller

Gawd
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
576
I'm thinking of getting a Xigmatek Achilles S1284 ( http://www.xigmatek.com/product/air-achilless1284.php ) but it doesn't use a backplate to connect under the mobo. Can this large heatsink be trusted with 4 simple plastic "push and lock screws"?

I know using common sense would say that a backplate is safer, but is that safety needed? Some reviews point out that these are better than a backplate because you don't have to remove your mobo from the cast.

I really didn't want to take apart most of my system just to install a heatsink if it's not needed, but at the same time I do plan on keeping this system with the CPU I'm going to purchase for at least 1.5 to 2+ years. During that time I don't want these plastic push screws to give way during that time.

Can people let me know if they recommend or think that a backplate is needed for the Xigmatek Achilles S1284 over "long" periods of time, and if so where I can purchase a backplate that will work with the Xigmatek Achilles S1284.

Thank you.
 
I would recommend bolt through back plate. I recently purchased the S1283 and am waiting on the bolt through kit to arrive. I hate push pins, they always seem to pop loose, especially if you move your case around. There is a thread about the S1283 in this section that I highly suggest reading. Seems that the new 1204 is a less capable cooling solution than the 1284. Also in that thread is information on where to purchase a bolt through kit. I was able to get my 1283 for $36.99 shipped at the egg which is a tremendous deal IMO.
 
That would be from Sidewinder. $5 + minimal USPS shipping cost ($2.03 to CA, assuming the package fits within the USPS 1st class <13oz requirements).

And agreed on the S1283 comment. I had a feeling that the S1284 Achilles would not live up to the S1283/RS1283 (due to the wider spacing required by 4 heatpipes), and I was right. IMHO, save your money, get either 1283 variant, and spend the money you saved on the TR bolt thru kit if you can't deal w/ the push pins. FWIW, I think not giving the option of bolt-thru out of the box w/ the 1283 was a mistake, but mine is on securely and provides decent enough pressure - you just need to make sure (triple check even) that the things are inserted correctly so they don't "pop out". I'm still planning on grabbing the backplate mount though soon, peace of mind is always nice, also should help w/ my (original rev) Apogee when I get off my butt and order some new goodies (so old I don't have a backplate obviously).
 
Short answer: no.

Long answer:
Weight &#8231; 660g (w/fan)
This greatly exceeds Intels spec for socket 775 and could compromise the solder connections between the socket and the board. Note that the issue is not if the heatsink will fall off, its the stress on the sockets solder joints due to board flex and mechanical shock from abrupt movement.

Real answer:
If you dont move your machine you will probally be ok.

Me personally answer:
I would get a backplate and still move it (if and only when I had to) like it was a egg. Transport laying down etc.


hahahahahahahah "better without a backplate because you dont have to remove the motherboard." Aye, being a lazy SOB is always "better". Whatever site that was, dont go there anymore.
 
Thanks I was just looking at that bolt kit and was going to come back and ask if it would work.

Why are you recommending the S1283 over the S1284? Is that because you guys have the S1283 or have you guys actually heard something about the S1284 I should know about? I was leaning towards the S1284 simply because of the 4 heatpipes.

After looking closer at the S1284 review here: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...ask=view&id=151&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5 I did see this important part:

"EDITORS NOTE 05/09/2008: Xigmatek has issued to following statement following the release of our article:

Hi Olin: I need officially to apologize for this issue, the Achilles you have received was sending accidentally. It was supposed only to be sending for showing purpose. As I mentioned before, the Achilles you got wasn't finalized in reference of technical... We will update you very soon with the finalized model after Computex as one of our first reviewers worldwide. Tony Sahin, Xigmatek "

So I'm wondering if this is the same review that you guys are going off of, if the actual heatsink would perform better than what is rated in that review or if it's something else.

EDIT: Does the S1283 come with a fan or do I need to purchase that also? If so, what's a good fan for the S1283 that will give cooling, but isn't going to be extremely loud, or has a low and high setting so I can test.
 
The S1284 does have 4 heatpipes, however it appears that the cpu does not make full contact with the two outside pipes, thus reducing the cooling ability from the three pipe design. And yes, the S1283 does come with a fan. I recommend the bolt-thru kit for that as well.
 
It was a bitch getting the push pins in place even with the motherboard out of my case. The amount of effort I needed to use far exceeded what I would consider acceptable. And even then, the first time I mounted my 1283, two of my cores were much hotter than the others. I decided to remount it, and one of the pins was definitely not locked down (the pin was locked, however the barbs that keep it in the motherboard were not secure, even though it was when I first put it on). Remounting the cooler (again with the motherboard out of the case fix the problems, but the damage was done. I just hate the push pin mounting. Its not very confidence inspiring, and I do not want to have another issue down the road.

Then I got the bolt through kit. Now I can assure myself that the CPU is definitely mounted securely, and with an even and good amount of force across the cooler. Its just one less thing to worry about, and I can move my case around without any concern. Depending on the type of person you are, you can not put a price on that. Best $5 upgrade ever.
 
Thanks for the comments. I've ordered the 1283 with the bolt kit. I did see that the 4 pipes didn't make complete contact with the surface of the CPU. That concerned me to.

This thread really helped me make a wise choice on what to go with. I feel like I'm really getting the best heatsink that is available on the market. That frostytech heatsink list in their reviews is really helpful for choosing the best heatsink for what you are looking for.
 
Thanks for the comments. I've ordered the 1283 with the bolt kit. I did see that the 4 pipes didn't make complete contact with the surface of the CPU. That concerned me to.

This thread really helped me make a wise choice on what to go with. I feel like I'm really getting the best heatsink that is available on the market. That frostytech heatsink list in their reviews is really helpful for choosing the best heatsink for what you are looking for.

That's what the [H] is for!!!
 
Back
Top