I've been running into some confounding issues lately that have recently begun to increase in severity and frequency. I have some idea as to what direction to go to combat them, but I thought it best to seek out some second (third, fourth... etc..) opinions as well. This community has always been a good resource, so you guys are the first place I'm running to.
Anyway, this build isn't all that old. However, there are some definite quirks that are driving me nuts. (Build in signature)
First off, I can't run my RAM at 1600 it seems, only 1333. I've upped the voltage on the motherboard, but it refuses to run stable. Sometimes not posting, most other times just finally hitting a BSOD until I drop back down to 1333. That, however, is the least of my issues.
I received a second monitor for free from a gas station that was closing down. It has been perfect in it's use as a temperature monitor and allowing me to have documentation on one screen, and my Java IDE on another. I don't want to get rid of it. However, when it is connected, the temperatures of my video card skyrocket. When idle, I have to crank my fans to hit below 70. When playing any kind of newer game (like Battlefield) I easily hit 95+. No issue when the monitor is disconnected (Idle closer to 42). I know that NVidia cards do not like mismatched resolutions when it comes to secondary monitors, so I know the cause. I'm just wondering if the excess heat from this is causing the newer issues that I'm experiencing as they didn't crop up until the addition of the second monitor. I am planning on rebuilding my old water loop with new parts so that I can cool this hot hot videocard a little better without dumping so much heat into my case.
In order of appearance:
1). My USB ports randomly decided to rebel. I couldn't get any of my USB devices to connect or work, except on one USB port. A reboot solved this issue, but it still intrigued me, especially considering what has been occurring afterwards.
2). My USB connected camera card reader refused to read my SDHC card. Not so much as it didn't do anything, but when I went to access it in my computer, the progress bar at the top would never reach 100%. It would continue progressing, but after half an hour, it still was missing just enough to not connect. Another reboot fixed this issue.
3). Similarly, last night I tried to install the Eclipse IDE. I downloaded the package, and after extracting it, I tried to open the containing folder (which was on my C: drive). At this point, all of the icons disappeared from my folder. The names and empty spaces remained, but no icons. So I closed my computer and tried to open C: again, only to run into the same never ending progress bar. A reboot has fixed this issue as well. I ran a virus scan (NOD32) directly afterwards, and the only things that it was finding was what it always finds. Components of my UBCD that pose no threat, but still set off alarms. I'm planning on running a virus scan on boot today.
4). Ever since the issues reading my primary drive last night, ever reboot requires shutting down my wireless logitech keyboard as well. Usually I can leave it on, and it will recognize it on boot and I can log in. The last several times I have rebooted, however, once at the login screen I can not enter text until I have shut down my keyboard and powered it back on again.
5). I have coretemp running in the background, and I was not using the machine after a reboot last night. I wanted it to sit there so I could detect any anomalies. I found that at some point my CPU cores went from their usual 32-33 degree idle up to 65 degrees, even though it shouldn't have had any kind of heavy use. My CPU doesn't usually hit above 60 when gaming, so a 65 is rather curious to me.
Anyway, I'm going to be cleaning out the case today, installing a RAID 0 array and reinstalling Windows. Not to mention looking for any BIOS and firmware updates that may be needed. I will be planning out my new water loop to take care of the GPU. I'm just wondering if there are any other avenues I should be looking into, or if any of these issues ring any bells. It would save me a lot of time, especially seeing as this is my main coding machine for school.
Thanks a TON!
Anyway, this build isn't all that old. However, there are some definite quirks that are driving me nuts. (Build in signature)
First off, I can't run my RAM at 1600 it seems, only 1333. I've upped the voltage on the motherboard, but it refuses to run stable. Sometimes not posting, most other times just finally hitting a BSOD until I drop back down to 1333. That, however, is the least of my issues.
I received a second monitor for free from a gas station that was closing down. It has been perfect in it's use as a temperature monitor and allowing me to have documentation on one screen, and my Java IDE on another. I don't want to get rid of it. However, when it is connected, the temperatures of my video card skyrocket. When idle, I have to crank my fans to hit below 70. When playing any kind of newer game (like Battlefield) I easily hit 95+. No issue when the monitor is disconnected (Idle closer to 42). I know that NVidia cards do not like mismatched resolutions when it comes to secondary monitors, so I know the cause. I'm just wondering if the excess heat from this is causing the newer issues that I'm experiencing as they didn't crop up until the addition of the second monitor. I am planning on rebuilding my old water loop with new parts so that I can cool this hot hot videocard a little better without dumping so much heat into my case.
In order of appearance:
1). My USB ports randomly decided to rebel. I couldn't get any of my USB devices to connect or work, except on one USB port. A reboot solved this issue, but it still intrigued me, especially considering what has been occurring afterwards.
2). My USB connected camera card reader refused to read my SDHC card. Not so much as it didn't do anything, but when I went to access it in my computer, the progress bar at the top would never reach 100%. It would continue progressing, but after half an hour, it still was missing just enough to not connect. Another reboot fixed this issue.
3). Similarly, last night I tried to install the Eclipse IDE. I downloaded the package, and after extracting it, I tried to open the containing folder (which was on my C: drive). At this point, all of the icons disappeared from my folder. The names and empty spaces remained, but no icons. So I closed my computer and tried to open C: again, only to run into the same never ending progress bar. A reboot has fixed this issue as well. I ran a virus scan (NOD32) directly afterwards, and the only things that it was finding was what it always finds. Components of my UBCD that pose no threat, but still set off alarms. I'm planning on running a virus scan on boot today.
4). Ever since the issues reading my primary drive last night, ever reboot requires shutting down my wireless logitech keyboard as well. Usually I can leave it on, and it will recognize it on boot and I can log in. The last several times I have rebooted, however, once at the login screen I can not enter text until I have shut down my keyboard and powered it back on again.
5). I have coretemp running in the background, and I was not using the machine after a reboot last night. I wanted it to sit there so I could detect any anomalies. I found that at some point my CPU cores went from their usual 32-33 degree idle up to 65 degrees, even though it shouldn't have had any kind of heavy use. My CPU doesn't usually hit above 60 when gaming, so a 65 is rather curious to me.
Anyway, I'm going to be cleaning out the case today, installing a RAID 0 array and reinstalling Windows. Not to mention looking for any BIOS and firmware updates that may be needed. I will be planning out my new water loop to take care of the GPU. I'm just wondering if there are any other avenues I should be looking into, or if any of these issues ring any bells. It would save me a lot of time, especially seeing as this is my main coding machine for school.
Thanks a TON!