• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Troubleshooting new build

hellic

n00b
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
6
Hi tech gurus,

I just upgraded my system with a new CPU, a new mobo, and new RAM. My specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i7-975 3.33GHz (not OC'd)
Mobo: Intel DX58SO
RAM: Corsair XMS 6GB DDR3 1600 CMX6GX3M3A1600C9
GPU: Dual Radeon 4870s 512 MB
PSU: Corsair 750W TX750W
OS: Windows 7 Ulimate x64
HDD: x1 Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM (Primary, system drive), x1 Samsung F4 2TB, x2 Samsung F3 1TB


Here's the problem: my system fails Prime95 Blend and Large FFTs and Linx tests and the system regularly crashes when playing games (holds true for every single game I've tried, from NBA 2k11 to Crysis to War for Cybertron). I'm not trying to overclock, I just want my computer to run.

The strange thing is, the RAM and the CPU work perfectly when tested separately. Memtest86+ ran for 8 passes without problems and Prime95 Small FFTs ran fine for 2 hours. However, the system failed tests that stressed both the RAM and the CPU at the same time. Prime95 Blend and Large FFTs and Linx all encountered an error within half an hour of testing.


Here's what I've tried:
  • Increased by the RAM voltage and the CPU voltage (to 1.58V and 1.375V, respectively)
  • Set the RAM at XMP settings (1600 MHz and 1.68V)
  • Set the RAM at default settings (1350 MHz and 1.55V)
  • Tried to run games and tests with one GPU at a time (removed the other GPU)

Other info:
  • The motherboard has sounds issues, it doesn't recognize even the most updated audio drivers
  • The dual 4870s and the HDDs worked fine with my old system (e8400 OC'd, Corsair 4GB, Asus Rampage Formula)
  • This is a link to the minidump files from the game-crashing BSODs.


What exactly is causing the problem? Compatibility between the i7 975 and the Corsair RAM? The DX58SO? The PSU?
Is there anything else I can do?

I appreciate any help!
 
It's probably the motherboard. IIRC, that Intel motherboard was actually one of the more unstable X58 mobos out there.

In any case, the fact that the same is failing testing with both the CPU and RAM at the same time points to a mobo problem.
 
what's the qpi/vtt (voltage) set at? either way I'll agree that the intel mobo's are... less than awesome, haha.
 
Thanks for the responses!

The BIOS has this under "Voltages":
Processor Core: 1.375V
Memory: 1.580V
QPI/Processor Uncore: 1.150V
IOH Core: 1.100V

I'll probably have to RMA the mobo anyway due to the sound problem, but do you think the trouble is limited to this particular mobo or might the compatibility issue be with the DX58SO line?
 
I personally think it's that entire line. But I could be wrong. Just RMA the mobo, see what happens and then get a new mobo if necessary.
 
Back
Top