Trouble with R9 270X + Thinkstation E30

r00k

2[H]4U
I picked up a free Lenovo Thinkstation E30 the other day, with a Xeon processor in it. Was looking to replace a rig i had been using.

I have a Radeon R9 270X OC that works just fine in other computers, yet when i put it in the thinkstation and hit the power, it just sits there and lets the fans spin. Putting the original Quadro 600 back in, everything works fine, it POSTS etc. I have an Antec Neo HE 550 Watt PSU in that computer, and it was powering the same video card in a different (i would think also more power-hungry) machine, so i'm not sure whether its power or something else.

I have the latest bios, have tried 1 stick of 4gb instead of the 3 in it, have re-seated the video card, reset the bios to optimal defaults, tried the card in another computer after the fact and it still works.

Am i missing something? I do know that the motherboard is PCIe 2.0, and the card is 3.0, but that shouldnt be an issue. I also know the onboard vga is disabled when the xeon is in the configuration.

The only other thing is this: i have the 2x 6pin power connectors plugged in using adapters, (same as in other rigs), and they both show green. If i attempt to run the card without them, the PC gives off beeps of anger, so it's SOMEHOW being recognized, even if i get no POST beeps otherwise.

Any thoughts?

My first two thoughts are either a BIOS setting or a flaky PSU. I had a similar sort of issue with my son's computer a few years ago. Far enough back that I can't recall the details, but the solution had to do with the integrated graphics settings in BIOS. You might try some targetted googling in that vein.

The PSU is probably a few years old. It may be fine or it may be just flaky enough that it works with one mobo configuration but not another. See if you can get your hands on another PSU and test it and hopefully rule out the PSU as the source of the problem.

i tried it with a cheapo 480W logisys psu (new), that got the same result. I have tons of cheapo or possibly underpowered PSU's around, very few good ones. I will try another when i get home. I do also recall having the INIT Display First setting set to auto, versus PEG. I could try that..

Tried 3 other videocards, and a differentPSU. The other videocards work fine, nothing changes for the 270x regardless of bios options or PSU.

Can you install the drivers first then change it over? Maybe some legacy drivers?

The pc wont even post with the 270x in it. It will only power on and run the case, cpu, and gpu fans. No beeps etc.

Any other card thus far has zero problems

My suggestion is get a newer motherboard, it sounds like bios support is the issue.

You really shouldn't use adapters for the 6 pin power connectors. If your power supply is cheap it probably has multiple 12v rails and without knowing the way the power is split you could burn up components.

Get a power supply with 6/8 pcie connectors if you are using a gfx card that needs them.

Its the card. My gtx 660ti worked just fine in the thinkstation, with a 460 watt coolermaster psu. Ordered an evga supernova750 anyway, now to look for a differentvideo card..

Video cards just have to confirm to pci-e specs. Motherboards have to support the cards. If the card works in another pc, it's the motherboard that's causing the conflict, unless the card isn't seating down properly. Does the pci-e slot have a lock tab on it? If not, try installing the card without screwing down the bracket. Sometimes the case tolerance means tightening that screw pops the card out enough it doesn't make a good connection.

Back