trouble reinstalling windows

bkrawk

Limp Gawd
One of my discs in raid 0 had just failed so I decided to reinstall windows on just the other drive. I pulled out the old one and disabled the raid array, set the sata mode to IDE in bios and set the bootable device to removable, using Windows 7 on usb stick. I get the following error :

Windows failed to start. A Recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your langugae settings, and then click next
3. Click "repair your computer."

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

When I try to boot from CD instead, the computer just sits at boot from CD: and does nothing. At this point I am out of ideas and could really use some help

Set the BIOS setting to AHCI instead of IDE and see what happens.

Also did you make sure to set the Boot Priority to the CD drive?

Now it just sits at Boot From AHCI CD-ROM:
CD drive does have boot priority.

Try this to set the USB up manually for boot:

Insert a 4gb usb drive or higher in your system that you're ready to format and from an elevanted command prompt do the following:

diskpart
list disk (match your USB disk capacity to determine disk# for the next line)
select disk x (x = disk# from previous line)
clean (clears partition information from the selected disk above including drive letter)
create partition primary
select partition 1
active (makes partition bootable)
format fs=fat32 quick
assign (re-assigns a drive letter to the USB drive)
list volume (this is optional but it will help for the last command if you don't know the re-assigned drive letter)
exit

With your installation disk inserted or your iso mounted, use the assigned drive letter from above and use the following:

xcopy x:\*.* /s/e/f z:\ (x = installation source drive, z = assigned USB drive letter)

That's exactly what I had already done to prep it for USB installation.

I had a USB thumbdrive fail to be recognized on the boot menu until I enabled USB Legacy Support in the bios.

I did have Legacy Support enabled. When I get back from work i will try to take pictures of my BIOS to put up.

I removed the other harddrive that was also a member disk on raid and just left 1 harddrive in (old storage). Tried to boot off the usb flash drive (16gb sd card in flash reader, maybe the problem). Starts to load windows file and gets stuck on the next blue screen with just the mouse pointer. Could this be because of the SD card flash reader?

Back