• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Trouble installing ESXi

nowwhatnapster

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
Aug 9, 2009
Messages
406
Running into an error message when trying to install ESXi 4.1 to a USB key on a new server build. I am using the VMware-VMvisor-Installer-4.1.0-260247.x86_64.iso image. After some googling it seems it might be a hardware compatibility issue? I tried disabling AHCI, unplugging the WD drive, disabling both NICs. None of those changed anything. I have a feeling it might be a compatibility issue of the mobo/cpu, but I'm not really sure.

Here is the hardware spec:

Here is a screenshot of the error message: This message occurs after accepting the VMware EULA but before selecting the storage device to install ESXi onto.
5580449794_7b9475c15a.jpg
 
Last edited:
I don't know the BIOS from that ASUS board, but does it have options to enable/disable the virtualizaton features (VT-d, VT-x, etc)? If it does, make sure they are all enabled.
 
I am pretty sure it is the NIC. That onboard NIC is not supported by ESXi and you will get the same error even if there is no NIC present in the system. I am ran into this problem on another MOBO and had to purchase one of those Intel NIC's.

You can't figure out from looking at it that the problem is the NIC.

I have 2 of the intel NIC's a PCI and PCIe I can sell you for a good price if you are interested.
 
Last edited:
Most likely the nic. i had the same error message as well. try booting esxi on a usb drive and it will tell you where exactly its failing
 
I am pretty sure it is the NIC. That onboard NIC is not supported by ESXi and you will get the same error even if there is no NIC present in the system. I am ran into this problem on another MOBO and had to purchase one of those Intel NIC's.

You can't figure out from looking at it that the problem is the NIC.

I have 2 of the intel NIC's a PCI and PCIe I can sell you for a good price if you are interested.

Pretty much this. If you look around there are drivers for various Realtek chipsets that you can inject onto the flash drive from a Linux machine. IIRC, it was easiest to install to the flash drive using VMware workstation, and then I loaded up an Ubuntu VM to inject the drivers for the RTL8111DL on my one board.

Intel NICs are the best way to go though. Fast, easy, reliable.
 
Seems the consensus is the Realtek NIC's are not supported out of the box. I looked into installing the drivers for them, but its going to be time consuming. So I'm in the market for a cheap Intel gigabit nic.

Thanks all.
 
Back
Top