Trouble Booting After New GFX Install

mMike01

Weaksauce
Hi, I'm attempting to upgrade the graphics card and OS in an older PC. The graphics card I installed is a EVGA GeForce GTX 1060, 6 GB (06G-P4-6262-KR), and I am upgrading the OS from Vista to 10.

Original PC Specs to be Upgraded:

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366

EVGA 132-BL-E758-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

6 GB of GSKill memory

EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express
2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card x 2 in SLI

128 gb Intel SSD

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 RC-590-KKN1-GP Black SECC / ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC

Vista 64

Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor

After I installed the card and booted the PC, I missed changing my boot order to which I just figured it would still boot into Vista, but it didn't and restarted the PC right after the PC posted. I didn't think much of it at the time, I just figured it was because of the new hardware configuration.

I then attempted to install Windows 10; however, the blue windows symbol would pop up and then after about 5 minutes, the PC would reboot. It would keep cycling through this process.

I was unsure of the problem so I kept removing and switching out memory, and removed every other piece of non-essencial hardware in order to troubleshoot, but I continued to get this boot loop. At this point I thought maybe I didn't burn my Windows 10 ISO file correctly. I also tried to install Windows 7, but the installation would hang as well.

I then removed the new graphics card and put my old one back in and booted to Vista to re-download and burn Windows 10. After that was done, i figured I would see if Windows 10 would install with my old graphics card. So i booted from the disc and the Windows symbol came up again and hung there for about 5 minutes, but instead of rebooting, the OS started to load. I installed windows 10 successfully. I didn't install any drivers after the install was done and i shut down the PC. I then put in the new GFX card and reboot the computer, but right after Posting, the computer again kept rebooting right before Windows would load

At this point, i figured I would try and re-load Windows 10 again with the new graphics card, but again, the about after 5 minutes, the PC would re-boot.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? At this point it appears to be the graphics card.

An additional question. This new card takes an 8 pin PCE-E power connection. My power supply has four 6-pin power connections each with an additional 2 optional pins. The graphics card came with a converter that converts two 6 pin PCE-E cables and brings them to an 8 pin connection that fits into the new card.

I tried setting up the card both ways, using one of my PSU's 6 pin + 2 additional pins into the graphics card and then taking 2 6 pin cables into the 8 pin converter.

They both powered up the card. Are both set-ups that I mentioned above appropriate to use? Or is one preferred?

Thanks in advance

I don't have an answer for you. Giving you a bump to bring you up to first page. Really people, no one can help this guy?

Have you tried clearing the CMOS? Maybe there is something it doesn't like about the GPU?

A simple GPU upgrade shouldn't stop your system from booting.

Maybe the card is bad, or maybe your PSU isnt up to the task anymore and a new one is needed?

PSU it might be the problem but while its older, that Corsair 750w should be able to handle the 1060. That or maybe the mobo needs a bios update to better handle a newer video card. I've had newer cards not work well with older motherboards, though it has usually been AMD ones in the past 3-4 years.

I'm betting this is a UEFI compatibility issue. Would try to update the BIOS first, but can't offer much help beyond that.

Bah, I forgot about uefi. I had R9 290s that had a switch on the cards for uefi or traditional bios if there were problems.

Thanks for bumping. and thanks for replies all.

I solved the problem shortly after this initial post. Flashing the BIOS seemed to work.

Thanks again.

Back