Trip down memory lane. Old 3d benchmarks.

Thank god they don't do that crap anymore! Though manufactures like evga still will try for 4-5 different models.

Yeah it's hard enough as it is to explain today's GPU differences to my "Average Joe Six-Pack" clients.

6800 series. Wow! That is a serious trip down memory lane. 2005 was the height of my overclocking endeavors. After reading that I looked up some old screenshots. Lost some after 12 years, sadly.

Some may remember how you could use RivaTuner to open up the extra pixel pipelines (12to16) and vertex shader (5to6) on certain 6800nu/vanilla. That and some overclock you had a 6800gt for significantly less money.

Leadtek brand were popular because of their large copper heat sinks on both sides of the card. Lapping the sink was a pain in the ass because of the raised pads over the memory chips. After some careful work I was able to pump more juice into the card and approach 6800ulta performance levels.

Attachments

• 6800.4a.jpg
    6800.4a.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 6800a2.jpg
    6800a2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 6800.3a.jpg
    6800.3a.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
6800 series. Wow! That is a serious trip down memory lane. 2005 was the height of my overclocking endeavors. After reading that I looked up some old screenshots. Lost some after 12 years, sadly.

Some may remember how you could use RivaTuner to open up the extra pixel pipelines (12to16) and vertex shader (5to6) on certain 6800nu/vanilla. That and core overclock and you had a 6800gt.

Leadtek brand were popular because of their large copper heat sinks on both sides of the card. Lapping the sink was a pain in the ass because of the raised pads over the memory chips. After some careful work I was able to pump more juice into the card and approach 6800ulta performance levels.

This. I remember buying my A400GT and softmodding it to 475/1200 a week later. Doom 3 and HL2 were like creamy butter sauce @ 1280x1024..1600x1200 was another story. :)

karta-ukos.jpg

Lapping the sink was a pain in the ass because of the raised pads over the memory chips. After some careful work I was able to pump more juice into the card and approach 6800ulta performance levels.

Oh god, dat mirror-like finish!

mmmmm.

still a sexy card by today's standards.
Yes indeed. Back before heat pipes became common, and cards had big copper. Ended up getting 7800 about a year later and I could finally play UT 2004 at 1600x1200 with everything maxed. Fired up both these cards about a year ago. The BFG still sounds like a damn hairdryer. Little wonder I gamed with headphones so much back then. :eek:

Attachments

• 6800.7800.jpg
    6800.7800.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 15
Yes indeed. Back before heat pipes became common, and cards had big copper. Ended up getting 7800 about a year later and I could finally play UT 2004 at 1600x1200 with everything maxed. Fired up both these cards about a year ago. The BFG still sounds like a damn hairdryer. Little wonder I gamed with headphones so muck back then. :eek:

remember when GPU fans only ran at one speed? haha

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes indeed. Back before heat pipes became common, and cards had big copper. Ended up getting 7800 about a year later and I could finally play UT 2004 at 1600x1200 with everything maxed. Fired up both these cards about a year ago. The BFG still sounds like a damn hairdryer. Little wonder I gamed with headphones so much back then. :eek:

I also upgraded to the 7000 series, but waited a little longer and got a Evga 7900GT. But I should of waited a little longer because I was stuck in RMA hell dealing with the bad VRAM the 7900GT's had in the beginning. After 4 different cards, they finally sent me a 7950GT. The HSF was so tiny compared to the Leadtek, that I thought surely it would be impossible to OC, and that was the KO edition! Boy was I ever wrong, that card was a beast. First PCI-E card I owned and the first time going SLI. My mom has one now running in her kitchen PC, the other one is in a Photoshop rig.

I never took pics of mine but here you go:

7950gt ko.jpg

I thought leadtek disappeared years ago, but I googled them and they're still around. They even have a lineup of gtx 10 series cards, they just don't appear to be sold in the US anymore. What a shame! They, like BFG, were a brand with character.

Wow! GTFO! I bet someone will drop 70 bones for it on their retro box.
Maybe. Been watching retro hardware trends for a while and there is much more demand for AGP boards & cards than PCIe.

Good to know Leadtek is still kicking. Only Asia huh? A shame. GTX 1080 Ti Hurricane would be cool.

BFG was a good brand as was Chaintech, traded a Chaintech 6600 Vanilla and a 160GB WD HD for a BFG 6600GT w/ Thermalright HSF for the wife, off a guy in the JonnyGURU forums. :D

I love seeing 3,000 FPS in those results. It's the kind of stuff I used to joke about with friends 15 years ago, and here we are.

Back