TRIM?

polive

[H]ard|Gawd
Do I need it for a single SSD? Every google query turns up RAID 0. I 'm running a single Samsung 840 Pro. One week old.

I've tried searching things for it. Intel Rapid Storage Tech will not run no matter what. Do I need that program? I'm confused. I get great test results still with Anvil Bench, etc.

Do I need to do anything or is the SSD ok?

Rig is in my sig.

Windows 7 automatically sends the TRIM command, so there's nothing else you need to do.

Windows 7 automatically sends the TRIM command, so there's nothing else you need to do.

If this is right then I have nothing to worry about? I disabled defrag and pre/superfetching already. I think that's it right?

My performance numbers are great. I am just worried a little about the faults that SSDs have with regard to deleting/adding files I guess.

I'm only using it for Win 7, a few games, MS Office, other small tasks.

Am I being a helicopter parent of my new SSD? I've allocated utorrent and other read/write jobs to another hard drive. I'm anxious about putting too many programs on this thing.

To verify TRIM is enabled and you're at least on the msahci driver, in an elevated command prompt, type the following:

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

If DisableDeleteNotify = 0 then TRIM is enabled
If DisableDeleteNotify = 1 then TRIM is disabled

If this is right then I have nothing to worry about? I disabled defrag and pre/superfetching already. I think that's it right?

My performance numbers are great. I am just worried a little about the faults that SSDs have with regard to deleting/adding files I guess.

I'm only using it for Win 7, a few games, MS Office, other small tasks.

Am I being a helicopter parent of my new SSD? I've allocated utorrent and other read/write jobs to another hard drive. I'm anxious about putting too many programs on this thing.

After installing Windows, there's nothing else you need to do except make regular backups.

Use it and abuse it. It can take it.

After installing Windows, there's nothing else you need to do except make regular backups.

Use it and abuse it. It can take it.
Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

As was said above TRIM is an automatic process in Windows Vista and Windows 7 - you DO NOT need to use any utility to do 'manual' TRIM.

Honestly as long as you're running Windows Vista or 7 you don't really need to do ANYTHING. Windows 7 will disable what it needs to including defragging and superfetch on any SSD, single or multiple. Just install Windows and go.

As an aside, you CAN do some things to minimize writes to the SSD and therefore lengthen it's life:

1. Disable hibernate (because with an SSD boot times are so fast you really don't need it):
- Open an elevated (admin) command prompt and type 'powercfg -h off'

2. If you're keeping a mechanical drive in your machine as storage you can configure Windows to store it's User files on that drive instead of the SSD:
- http://www.windows7hacker.com/index...e-user-profile-default-location-in-windows-7/

3. Be aware of how your SSD is being used - specifically where and how some apps store their own 'scratch' files. For instance, Adobe Photoshop creates massive scratch files if you're doing lots of PS work. Similarly video editing apps like Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere also create massive scratch files and do lots of writes.

Perhaps the worst example of scratch files abusing the SSD is something that happened to me back when SSDs first came out. I use a usenet binaries grabber (Newzbin Pro or Grabit) and these programs store MASSIVE amounts of stuff in temporary files... we're talking terabyte level writes in a few week's time. By default these guys store their temp files in the C:/Users/Username/Appdata directories... if you're not careful you really can make a dent in your SSD's lifespan with something like these.

I actually HIGHLY recommend doing steps 2 and 3 - it can save you quite a bit of write cycles.

But really even without any of the steps above a modern SSD should last you YEARS.

Back