Tricks to improve sluggish internet speed?

Chowder Head

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, haven't posted here in a while after my computer build with specs in sig. For those that helped me before, thanks again.

Now I'm having an annoying problem with my internet. When I first hooked my computer up and everything, my internet was blazing fast. Like right when I clicked a link, it showed up on the spot.

Recently, though, it's been sluggish, almost like I'm on dial up. Don't think it's peak hours realted because I surf the web anywhere from 2:00 P.M to 3:00 A.M. I already have Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-aware to get rid of spyware and such but it's still sluggish.

Any ideas? Besides what I listed, I'm kinda clueless on the tricks so any advice, even if it sounds noobish, would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to try out everything I can then if it's still sluggish, I'll call up roadrunner.

Thanks again all!

Are you on cable? Does your modem's control panel allow you to check for signal strength?

We had an issue where the signal was actually too strong and caused problems. Adding a couple splitters helped normalize it.

Browser?

The situation you described...blazingly fast then progressing to kludgy and slow sounds like a software issue and not likely to be due to anything road runner did.

What has changed since it was blazingly fast?
-Installed Software?
-Any noticible pop ups or ad/spyware?
-Running any P2P apps?
-What type of router are you connected to?

Lethal said:
Are you on cable? Does your modem's control panel allow you to check for signal strength?

We had an issue where the signal was actually too strong and caused problems. Adding a couple splitters helped normalize it.

Yes, on cable. I believe it only indicates it has power and connections, nothing about signal strength. I'll check out the manual later on today to confirm this.

Sorry for not posting my browser. I am indeed running Fire Fox. Let's see for software, I downloaded Warcraft 3, Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-aware, AVG, AOL instant messenger, Divx, Undisker, Nero, Microsoft 2003 and a few other programs like that.

Now that you mention it, I DO get these same registries when I perform Spybot and no matter how many times I run and delete them, they come back. I'll type it out for you guys later today to see if that had anything to do with it.

And yes, I do have P2P apps. utorrent, and bittorrent to name them. And the first thing I did when I noticed my internet turned sluggish is closed them both down but that did nothing.

Any more ideas guys? Thanks!

Oh, and the router I'm using is a U.S. Robotics. I'm unsure of the specific part number though.

www.speedguide.net. run the TCP/IP optimizer in the broadband tools. Change it to 10000 on the slider bar (or just 10, I forget) at the bottom select optimized. Apply, save, reboot. see what that does.

you should be able to see more info about your connectionfrom your browser by going to http://192.168.100.1 - most cable modems have a status page there.

It could be that the modem is getting overloaded, especially if you're running lots of torrents.

Not sure if you've said that this isn't the case but, are you sure you haven't went over your monthly download quota? Because that certainly will slow things down like a bitch.

try deleting your temp folder, a lot of those crap slows down your comp. u can do that easly with a WINRAR.

ICE_9 said:
www.speedguide.net. run the TCP/IP optimizer in the broadband tools. Change it to 10000 on the slider bar (or just 10, I forget) at the bottom select optimized. Apply, save, reboot. see what that does.
Well it seemed like it would make a difference because the slider bar was way left but after applying it and rebooting, I've noticed little difference. Maybe some pages load faster but that maybe due to the placebo effect.

you should be able to see more info about your connectionfrom your browser by going to http://192.168.100.1 - most cable modems have a status page there.
This page shows a lot of information but to be honest, I'm not sure what I'm looking at or what I should be looking for. Yeah, I'm still kinda noobish.

Do you have a wireless router ? if you do, have you locked down the wireless part and are 100% sure non of your neighours is stealing your bandwidth ?

make sure you dont broadcast your ssid, if you dont use the wireless part then disable it.

Basically, if you have a wireless access point/router, make sure no one else is using it without your permission as that will affect your internet speeds if they are raping your bandwidth and you dont know about it.

Also, if you do use wireless, if its possible with your router, then set it so that only known MAC's can connect to you and all other MAC's will not be able to connect.

Try Dr.TCP
File
http://www.dslreports.com/front/DRTCP021.zip
FAQ
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/tweaks/1.+DRTCP

Also do a DNS flush

1. Open the start menu and click on the "Run" icon.

2. In the "Run" dialog box type in "command", then click OK.

3. This should open up a black box with a command line, if not make sure you spelled "command" correctly.

4. At the command line type in "ipconfig /flushdns" and press enter.

5. You should get a confirmation that says "Windows IP Configuration Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache"

6. If you don't get this confirmation double check your spelling of "ipconfig /flushdns".

7. Congratulations you have now flushed out the old DNS entries on your computer!

I think it is those Spybot entries the OP keeps seeing. Download Hijackthis! Run it, save a log file but don't close the program yet. Copy and paste the log file at this site: www.hijackthis.de The site will show you which registry entry has been determined to be bad or good. Locate the bad entries, remove and reboot. Hopefully this helps. Oh and be very very careful about what you remove.

Oh another option: download and run CCleaner.

Back