Tribes Beta [H] players?

There is a community mumble server you can find people to play with.

mumble.bloodeagle.org
use in game name

Self>Register>

The admins there are open to making channels for people so if you want you can request a [H] channel

I dont think people are suppose to put referal links here kohan

I saved up 42k xp for the soldier's proximity grenades.

what a dissapointment.

The AP grenades are much better. Use Utility Pack and Quick Draw and you'll be in grenade spamming heaven.

Quick Draw also works really well with a Spinfusor/Eagle loadout.

The AP grenades are much better. Use Utility Pack and Quick Draw and you'll be in grenade spamming heaven.

Quick Draw also works really well with a Spinfusor/Eagle loadout.

Yeah I do well with the AP grenades, I thought I would be a god with the proximity grenades, but their 'proximity' is literally one foot. Im thinking about getting the super AP nades now.

You should ask people either at the hirez forums or here. I have a maxed account so I buy everything as soon as it comes out. The other thing is you need to be careful about buying things right away if you are not sitting in an XP surplus. As with most F2P games they tend to release something and have it be OP then nerf it a week or 2 later.

So, anyone know how the VIP account thing works? Does your account become VIP still when you buy something? My account is VIP but there is no mention of it on the buy page anymore, just wondering if it was a special thing for early beta players only... or if anyone can still get it?

You get it whenever you buy something. I did when I bought in early for $30. Worth it imho.

Started playing this game a few days ago and have two questions about combat and mobility. Mostly playing DM games to work on this.

1: Sometimes I see a lighter class perform some sort of double jump. It's not impact nitron because it has a smaller explosion animation, doesn't cause any damage, and doesn't propel them that far. Any ideas what this could be?

2: During combat I always seem to be on the losing end of the energy battle, and therefore I die because I'm on the ground more often and have smaller flying arcs. When skiing on my own or with the flag everything is good. I can keep up my speed and stay alive. The problem is when I engage in combat. After I swoop in I get a few shots in before my prey has the energy advantage and things go bad. Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong here?

Started playing this game a few days ago and have two questions about combat and mobility. Mostly playing DM games to work on this.

1: Sometimes I see a lighter class perform some sort of double jump. It's not impact nitron because it has a smaller explosion animation, doesn't cause any damage, and doesn't propel them that far. Any ideas what this could be?

2: During combat I always seem to be on the losing end of the energy battle, and therefore I die because I'm on the ground more often and have smaller flying arcs. When skiing on my own or with the flag everything is good. I can keep up my speed and stay alive. The problem is when I engage in combat. After I swoop in I get a few shots in before my prey has the energy advantage and things go bad. Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong here?

as you upgrade your character you can get more energy, i believe its under the armor section of that character. also you can upgrade it to take less damage from your own explosions(grenades, grenade launchers, etc)

1. Pathfinder with the Thrust Pack.
2. Practice makes perfect, your technique will naturally adjust so just keep on keepin' on.

You have a combination of things in point 2. Could be one or all of them. First of all there are perks. So some people especially in TDM or Arena are going to stack perks that increase their jets. The easiest would be double High Capactitor perks.

Then you have the armor upgrades almost all of which include some form of faster energy recharge and increase in total energy.

Finally you just have management of jets. There are odd things like, your jets have a high amount of boost up to a certain point then it is slower. So jetting then letting off for a bit then jetting again can amount to much longer sustained time in the air. Also people are going to look for you to shoot then touch down and go right back up. Plus make sure you are jumping or using the combined jump / jet bind.

1. Pathfinder with the Thrust Pack.
2. Practice makes perfect, your technique will naturally adjust so just keep on keepin' on.

1: Thanks.
2: Yup will work on it.

You have a combination of things in point 2. Could be one or all of them. First of all there are perks. So some people especially in TDM or Arena are going to stack perks that increase their jets. The easiest would be double High Capactitor perks.

Then you have the armor upgrades almost all of which include some form of faster energy recharge and increase in total energy.

Finally you just have management of jets. There are odd things like, your jets have a high amount of boost up to a certain point then it is slower. So jetting then letting off for a bit then jetting again can amount to much longer sustained time in the air. Also people are going to look for you to shoot then touch down and go right back up. Plus make sure you are jumping or using the combined jump / jet bind.

I'm only using the Solider and the Pathfinder at the moment and I have most of the upgrades for energy and recharge. I'll try your recommendations as well.

They are both good classes for dueling. The one thing I would say is that the bolt launcher for the pathfinder is way more powerful for dueling than the spin fusor which is used more for disc jumping and flag clearing.

Yeah I usually get rocked by guys with the bolt launcher. I'm not paying for the game at this point and the 42K EXP (?) is hard to come by.

Yeah I usually get rocked by guys with the bolt launcher. I'm not paying for the game at this point and the 42K EXP (?) is hard to come by.

42k xp probably take about 20-30 hours of total playing time maybe 10 if you used the free 250 gold with facebook like bs..but of course you could pay 5 bucks and just get it out right instead... its just mindless grinding to unlock shit.. i don't know how many points per game you get in TDM, i know i average 300-500 XP per game in CTF sometimes less if one team absolutely sucks and doesn't protect the flag caps.

Last edited:
If you use the 250 free gold from facebook you can buy the bolt launcher outright. It should be 240 gold. That is a very reasonable choice for using that gold. One of the current best killing weapons in the game along with the thumper and falcon as far as upgrades go. Except paying for those other 2 weapons with gold is a bad use of gold due to the low gold to xp ratio.

The soldier is the class I would not touch. His default loadout is probably close to his best loadout. The pathfinders best dueling loadout is bolt launcher plus his machine gun.

Last edited:
If you use the 250 free gold from facebook you can buy the bolt launcher outright. It should be 240 gold. That is a very reasonable choice for using that gold. One of the current best killing weapons in the game along with the thumper and falcon as far as upgrades go. Except paying for those other 2 weapons with gold is a bad use of gold due to the low gold to xp ratio.

The soldier is the class I would not touch. His default loadout is probably close to his best loadout. The pathfinders best dueling loadout is bolt launcher plus his machine gun.

Dont talk shit bout mah soldier, boy.

Running into a problem I neve rhave before: not enough technicians. Each team really needs 2: one for GenD and repair, plus one for FlagD and base component repair. I was trying to play the lava level (name escapes me), and either was just pointless without someoen to help with the other.

Who would have though!?

By not touching the soldier I mean I would not buy any of his extra weapons, haha, I didnt mean for it to come accross as he is useless. His default loadout is the one he owns with so do not touch the other weapons until you have many other things unlocked first.

As far as techs, they really are not needed, I think people are figuring that out. The biggest problem I see in pubs is people repairing and working on gens and turrets when it is far more effective to allocate those people to just strait up defending the flag. I find more often the team that wins is the team that has the least people who care about gen D or O. The only problem with that strategy is that both techs and dooms become less useful without the generator to power their deployables. The solution is just jump over to sentinel or pathfinder / soldier to defend the flag. It is far to easy for someone to snipe all your turrets down with discs from way out of range as well as other deployables so it becomes a waste of time to try and keep them up unless the other team is really bad and you only need 1 tech to do all of it.

Last edited:
On some maps, maybe, but others that's not the case. For example, on face off (? the one with two ships on either side), the base turrets are pretty useless, the flag post is a tiny area and cap speeds are so high tech turrets are't very useful and easily cleared.
However, take the lava level. The flag post is surrounded by posts and ruins plus a roof, so tech turrets and force fields are not easily cleared. Plus, the base cannons are much closer to flight paths and are spread out such that they are more effective. The generator is a HUGE asset in that game, and I have seen them make the difference by far. Not to mention the new ice level where the flag is covered on 3 of 5 sides by a forcefield while it's up,plus planted forcefields are much more useful. With it down, it adds several cap paths.

Even Dry dock, with it's wide-open flag platform. can benefit from appropriately spaced tech turrets (if your tech is planting them on the field he should be shot) and working turrets, particularly on the bottom face of the platform.

The only teams I have ever seen operate without generators are the proteams with decent flag defenders. and limited dedicated cappers. Pug teams really need them in most circumstances.

Im so trying this game when i get my 120hz monitor.

You will be sad to learn that Unreal3 games are capped at 90fps online. I tried it out on my FW900, I was going to attempt 800x600 @ 160hz for shitsngiggles, but quickly learned it's capped at 90fps.

So you can do 90fps, just not 120...

You get it whenever you buy something. I did when I bought in early for $30. Worth it imho.

Did you even read my post? I have VIP.. I was wondering if you STILL got it with any purchase or if that was a limited time deal.

Did you even read my post? I have VIP.. I was wondering if you STILL got it with any purchase or if that was a limited time deal.

You do, but only during the beta I believe which ends 4/12.

I have been playing this quite a bit and I feel that some weapons and classes are way too strong for balance purposes (mostly the tank classes).

Some classes are pretty weak (such as the sniper).

Other than that, I am finding this game very enjoyable and extremely skill based (which I really like).

I have been playing this quite a bit and I feel that some weapons and classes are way too strong for balance purposes (mostly the tank classes).

Other than that, I am finding this game very enjoyable and extremely skill based (which I really like).

I disagree.

You will be sad to learn that Unreal3 games are capped at 90fps online. I tried it out on my FW900, I was going to attempt 800x600 @ 160hz for shitsngiggles, but quickly learned it's capped at 90fps.

What in the hell is the point of that.

Beowolf is powerful but it can be eliminated with a number of classes if you decided to do it. The shrike is more inline with overpowered.
The sentinel is overpowered not weak and he will probably see more nerfs.

With all 3 of these items, you need to do some practice to really get them down but once you do you can dominate a server with them. I assume since you said sentinel is weak it means you like him in which case keep going when you get the hang of it you will be one of the most pivotal players in any match.

You do, but only during the beta I believe which ends 4/12.

I do not think the VIP deal will ever end. Any purchase results in VIP, it will be a way they will "break the ice" to get players to make a first purchase so they become familar with the system.

You can uncap FPS I think the command is bSmoothFrameRate=False, and maybe you can use MaxSmoothedFrameRate=120

You can uncap FPS I think the command is bSmoothFrameRate=False, and maybe you can use MaxSmoothedFrameRate=120

Doesn't work online, it's something the Unreal engine does with networking.

There are claims you can fix it by also adjusting your netspeed, but I couldn't find any config file in T:A to do it.

Well the sniper (sentinel) IS weak. If it goes toe to toe with any other class it will die. But that's the beauty of tribes, you have to play the sniper like a sniper. Spend some time finding good sniping points, stay away from others, set up your jammer, etc... Correctly played, snipers can be annoyingly overpowering. Also, the default sniper rifle has no power unless you are zoomed in and charged up.

You just have to find the right things to counter the players that seem overpowered. Find a niche that you enjoy, master it, then move onto another role.

Beowolf is powerful but it can be eliminated with a number of classes if you decided to do it. The shrike is more inline with overpowered.
The sentinel is overpowered not weak and he will probably see more nerfs.

With all 3 of these items, you need to do some practice to really get them down but once you do you can dominate a server with them. I assume since you said sentinel is weak it means you like him in which case keep going when you get the hang of it you will be one of the most pivotal players in any match.

I do not think the VIP deal will ever end. Any purchase results in VIP, it will be a way they will "break the ice" to get players to make a first purchase so they become familar with the system.

Ah, ok, thats exactly what I was wondering, thanks!

Yeah, looks like I was wrong.

What does VIP Status in Tribes: Ascend mean?
"VIP" is a special lifetime account status that is automatically granted to anyone who makes a real-money purchase in Tribes: Ascend. VIPs earn 50% more XP in every match.
http://hi-rez.custhelp.com/app/answ...:-ascend-open-beta-frequently-asked-questions

What does VIP Status in Tribes: Ascend mean?
"VIP" is a special lifetime account status that is automatically granted to anyone who makes a real-money purchase in Tribes: Ascend. VIPs earn 50% more XP in every match.
http://hi-rez.custhelp.com/app/answ...:-ascend-open-beta-frequently-asked-questions

Like I said... :rolleyes:

I had saved up a bunch of XP and was going to upgrade some of my more used classes (Soldier/Tech) then I saw someone dominating with Doombringer again and remembered the Chaingun did more damage (100 per shot, vs. 80 for the SMG, or 75 on Assault Rifle). And you never have to reload, so I thought I'd give it a shot. This was my 3rd/4th match using it...

I had 6 orbital strikes which resulted in a lot of kills, but a lot of it was the chaingun.

The doombringer is great if, you have good networked defense. IE generator up all the time, people going out to midfield and getting rid of juggernauts. And the other team is not mounting an effective flag clearing offence. The problem is that is so rare on a pub. Looks like you had a good game went the full time and a little OT.

Each of the classes can have really good results in the right situation / dynamic of a pub so I think it is a good idea and very reasonable (read cheap) to unlock all of them early on. If you have not unlock the mines for the doom get those they round him out.

What's the doombringer's ammo capacity like? i.e., are you reliant on functioning reload stations?
I'm loving tcn, usually topping the server or top 3-4 rnd by rnd, but I'm looking to expand. I loathe the infiltrators, so that's my current expansion, but i want to try a heavy next.

Doom has up to 350 ammo with no reload needed. It can last a good while. You need the generator more for your walls. You also need inventory stations to keep replacing walls in most maps that means it is only feasible to drop an inventory station near you. Crossfire is an exception.

I was actually the guy going out and getting the Juggernauts. They kept coming down the field trying to destroy our base and I just skiied around mowing them down in a few seconds. Actually has 380 ammo upgraded.

So yea, that game worked out quite nice with lots of guys running at my base for me to kill. I accidentally had FRAPS set to take screenshots every 10 seconds, wonder if there are any interesting screenshots in there.

Back