Transparent Laptop

HardOCP News

[H] News
[H] reader Jerome S. sent me the link to this transparent laptop on display at CES 2010. I don't know, I’m kinda torn on this concept. On the one hand, it looks bad ass. On the other hand…it’s not very practical. Watch the video and then tell me what you think.

Think outside of the laptop though. Transparent screens concepts are awesome.

Think of things like a military command center on ships or something.

Gimmick for laptop usage. Slap a transparent "Apple" logo on it, and the magpies will flock.

Seems like it would be amazingly annoying to see all the crap behind your screen all the time.

For a laptop who knows. Looks kinds neat though. Transparent screens in general seem to me to have a whole lot of potential for HUDs and other useful applications.

Now can I get a TV that thin? Save me a lot of space.

Would work very well with something like Google street view, the option that overlays sales and other data.

Its a cool idea for a helmet HUD , and makes me think of Minority Report, but for today's technology its a bit ahead of its time for a day to day PC.

to a degree, but look at the video @ 0:24 seconds.. you can make out the icons at the top of the screen. privacy is toast if there is any light source behind you.

I see it. It's very difficult to see though unless you practically put your nose on the back of the screen. If someone's putting their nose on the back of your laptops at Starbucks, I think we've got bigger problems than just privacy lol

Cool technology. Not very useful, though.

Maybe it will lead to something more interesting.

This is what they'll use to make the first consumer 3D panels that are self-contained (as in they won't require glasses).

Awesome idea! I'm not sure a laptop is the best application, but think of a screen like that mounted up on a wall :D

Aesthetically it looks cool but for every day practical usage I think it's crap! I would probably attach a black backboard by the end of the first working day lol

And some people complain about a regular LCD's black levels; this will be so much worse. Sure it looks neat, but how practical is it really?

Now we're two pieces closer to Minority Report (Surface and the transparent display). I assume scientists are diligently working on the ability to see the future.

Good potential for augmented reality applications, but otherwise a stupid idea perpetuated by too many sci-fi flicks.

Cool for about 10 seconds then it seems completely idiotic to me. (and they complain about glossy screens)

They're showing it off on a notebook, which I dont think is the best use of such technology, but the potential application is awesome
Think classroom use, no question what students are doing
Among other uses I'm sure

Now we're two pieces closer to Minority Report (Surface and the transparent display). I assume scientists are diligently working on the ability to see the future.

I'd think more than two, look at project natal for the motion control aspect

It would be fun to tack a drawing behind your screen to trace it. Or a cheatsheet to copy from. There are arguably better ways to do both of those things, though.

I want spex, how many watts does it take to project the image to the screen

That laptop should have AMAZING battery life

the transparent part is just a gimmick, just something new and flashy for the eyes but truly don't understand how you are supposed to work on a screen like that.

But the whole OLED thing is where it is at guys, low wattage and HIGH HIGH REALLY HIGH CONTRAST RATIOS :D

I want spex, how many watts does it take to project the image to the screen

That laptop should have AMAZING battery life

the transparent part is just a gimmick, just something new and flashy for the eyes but truly don't understand how you are supposed to work on a screen like that.

But the whole OLED thing is where it is at guys, low wattage and HIGH HIGH REALLY HIGH CONTRAST RATIOS :D

Exactly, I was just going to post that, regardless of the screen being transparent, the OLED part is much more interesting.

I wish I was doing important things like designing transparent products. All those guys out there designing opaque laptops must be regretting some of the decisions they've made in life.

I mean, opaque laptops? Way to be behind the times, man.

"Transparency" as a feature seems to indicate how desperate some of these companies are to just sell something "new".

I think a nice application for this would be home TV. Hang it on the wall, and it looks like your favorite framed art/ picture............until you hit the remote and it's your TV.

Why on earth would I need a transparent screen?
I cant think of 1 benefit.

Back