Transitioning from windows to Mac OS X

Drunken_King

Weaksauce
Hello everyone. I just bought a MacBook a couple of days ago. Now I have used Macs before in school but it was strictly just opening a certain program and thats about it. What can I expect from OS X which i didnt from Windows? Also can I learn UNIX on my MacBook since OS X is based on UNIX?

Hehehe... well if you ever use cut and paste to move files/directories get used to NOT using it anymore. Exercise your fingers because you will be doing lots of dragging and dropping.

Hello everyone. I just bought a MacBook a couple of days ago. Now I have used Macs before in school but it was strictly just opening a certain program and thats about it. What can I expect from OS X which i didnt from Windows? Also can I learn UNIX on my MacBook since OS X is based on UNIX?

sure is based off unix

Hehehe... well if you ever use cut and paste to move files/directories get used to NOT using it anymore. Exercise your fingers because you will be doing lots of dragging and dropping.

wtf are you talking about?

apple-c
apple-v

you=fail.

to op:
it will take you a little while to get used to your quick launch bar also being your taskbar. Also, learn quickly not to minimize windows unless you want that ONE window gone off your screen (and not any others in the same program). Learn the apple-h (hide application) shortcut instead. it keeps the dock cleaner, and with just a click of the application on the dock, all your windows pop back into view.

remember to QUIT an application when you want to quit it. apple-q (quit) is your friend here. simply hitting the red x in the top LEFT (as opposed to right on windows ;)) will generally just close the window, and not quit the program. some programs, such as iPhoto, quit when you close the window however.

one thing I do with exposé, is set it to one or two active screen corners. for example, if i move the mouse to the top right corner of my screen, that activates "exposé all windows." if I move it to the bottom right, it activates "exposé desktop" (which slides all windows offscreen and shows me my desktop until i move the mouse back to the corner.) This greatly helps productivity when moving objects between windows, as you can just throw your mouse cursor up in the corner, move to the window you want (as they will all be laid out in front of you), wait a second for that window to come into focus, then drop whatever you wanted on that window.

If I think of more tomorrow, I'll post em up. for now...sleep. :p

Originally Posted by KENNYB View Post

apple-c
apple-v

you=fail.

so true... someone is definitely not a mac guy

Ok how do I clear the screen so it would just show the desktop? I looked all over the place and I end up just minimizing every window. Also what can you do with UNIX?

Just used command+H for that, even though you have to do it for each program, it's much faster. Or actually, holding down the FN key + F11 does it.

Just used command+H for that, even though you have to do it for each program, it's much faster. Or actually, holding down the FN key + F11 does it.

yes, FN+F11 is the "exposé desktop" I was talking about before. Guess I should have given the keyboard shortcuts too. :p

Sorry I assumed "cut and paste" when you said it meant "copy and paste" like most people do. (as evident by the 3 people in this thread that assumed the same thing.) If we're so pathetic, stay out of the apple section. Some fuckin people :rolleyes:

Like I said, I'll post more tips when I get home.

QFT. That plus 2 finger scrolling. I really hate not having it when I use my work laptop. So much easier than having to use the "scroll areas"

Two finger scrolling on the Macbooks made me jealous.

Ok how do I clear the screen so it would just show the desktop? I looked all over the place and I end up just minimizing every window. Also what can you do with UNIX?

As far as what you can do with UNIX? Really depends on what you want to do with it. Try setting up parallels, virtual box, or vm ware and installing freebsd so you don't do anything to you mac. You can play around with UNIX that way. It can be an ftp or dhcp server, firewall, QoS implementation over a router just to mention a few. What do you want to do with it is the main thing.

yes, FN+F11 is the "exposé desktop" I was talking about before. Guess I should have given the keyboard shortcuts too. :p

Sorry I assumed "cut and paste" when you said it meant "copy and paste" like most people do. (as evident by the 3 people in this thread that assumed the same thing.) If we're so pathetic, stay out of the apple section. Some fuckin people :rolleyes:

Like I said, I'll post more tips when I get home.

Nah, I think I'll stay right here. Some one has to tell the unvarnished, unadulterated truth. I'm surprised no one (yet) has tried to defend Apple's cut and paste policy toward files and directories.

Drunken_King, I wouldn't buy a Mac to learn UNIX. You miss out on a lot of good (and bad things) by not going straight to a Linux system. Since you've already bought a Mac and you've used them in school I guess you either like the Dock or accept it as is. Arstechnica has written many reviews over the years and have ripping it to shreds.

apple-c
apple-v

you=fail.

to op:
it will take you a little while to get used to your quick launch bar also being your taskbar. Also, learn quickly not to minimize windows unless you want that ONE window gone off your screen (and not any others in the same program). Learn the apple-h (hide application) shortcut instead. it keeps the dock cleaner, and with just a click of the application on the dock, all your windows pop back into view.

remember to QUIT an application when you want to quit it. apple-q (quit) is your friend here. simply hitting the red x in the top LEFT (as opposed to right on windows ;)) will generally just close the window, and not quit the program. some programs, such as iPhoto, quit when you close the window however.

one thing I do with exposé, is set it to one or two active screen corners. for example, if i move the mouse to the top right corner of my screen, that activates "exposé all windows." if I move it to the bottom right, it activates "exposé desktop" (which slides all windows offscreen and shows me my desktop until i move the mouse back to the corner.) This greatly helps productivity when moving objects between windows, as you can just throw your mouse cursor up in the corner, move to the window you want (as they will all be laid out in front of you), wait a second for that window to come into focus, then drop whatever you wanted on that window.

If I think of more tomorrow, I'll post em up. for now...sleep. :p

That would make you what, double fail? Epic fail? Command+C is copy, not CUT. They are NOT the same, and it actually IS an issue I had when transitioning. Hell, I still think it's an issue, and for me, it's one of the glaring problems with the OS. So I think Kenny's completely justified.

To the thread poster, you'll be fine. Most of the apps you will be using are OS-agnostic anyway. Word, Firefox, and the like are cross-platform programs that will result in a very quick adjustment.

Under System Preferences>Expose and Spaces>Expose tab, you can set active screen corners as well. My bottom left corner is set to "Show Desktop", so when I throw my arrow in that corner, I get my desktop.

Also can I triple boot on my Mac? I want Windows, OS X and Linux. Is this possible? Also what Linux version should I get?

That would make you what, double fail? Epic fail? Command+C is copy, not CUT. They are NOT the same, and it actually IS an issue I had when transitioning. Hell, I still think it's an issue, and for me, it's one of the glaring problems with the OS. So I think Kenny's completely justified.

To the thread poster, you'll be fine. Most of the apps you will be using are OS-agnostic anyway. Word, Firefox, and the like are cross-platform programs that will result in a very quick adjustment.
read the fucking thread, it's been pointed out, I admitted I made a mistake, stfu already.
Also can I triple boot on my Mac? I want Windows, OS X and Linux. Is this possible? Also what Linux version should I get?

yes. no comment on the linux version, since I don't use it.
http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Triple_Boot_via_BootCamp

Nah, I think I'll stay right here. Some one has to tell the unvarnished, unadulterated truth. I'm surprised no one (yet) has tried to defend Apple's cut and paste policy toward files and directories.

Drunken_King, I wouldn't buy a Mac to learn UNIX. You miss out on a lot of good (and bad things) by not going straight to a Linux system. Since you've already bought a Mac and you've used them in school I guess you either like the Dock or accept it as is. Arstechnica has written many reviews over the years and have ripping it to shreds.
I didn't try to defend it because I agree it's stupid. Although so utterly fucking minor that I didn't even think of the correct thing when you were talking about it, and I move directories around all the time. (using the trackpad too) The below quote makes me smile, because it shows that one of the GLARING PROBLEMS with the os is one of the most minor things I could think of.

Hell, I still think it's an issue, and for me, it's one of the glaring problems with the OS.

but what do I know, you may be moving ten s of thousands of folders around a day, so maybe you do need cut and paste.

Yes, it's possible. I'm partial to Suse Linux Enterprise 10. I use it all day, every day. I've used Ubuntu before and the more recent versions include things you previously had to download separately.

...I didn't try to defend it because I agree it's stupid. Although so utterly fucking minor that I didn't even think of the correct thing when you were talking about it, and I move directories around all the time. (using the trackpad too) The below quote makes me smile, because it shows that one of the GLARING PROBLEMS with the os is one of the most minor things I could think of...

You're right, my bad - I didn't read the rest of the thread and wouldn't have commented had I done so. Also, you hit the nail right on the head as to what I was getting at - it's one of the biggest problems I find in day-to-day usage of OSX, but really, it just isn't much of an issue at all. That's why I am so happy with OSX all-around - many of the problems with the OS just aren't all that big because it is the best-put-together consumer OS out.

As far as what you can do with UNIX? Really depends on what you want to do with it. Try setting up parallels, virtual box, or vm ware and installing freebsd so you don't do anything to you mac. You can play around with UNIX that way. It can be an ftp or dhcp server, firewall, QoS implementation over a router just to mention a few. What do you want to do with it is the main thing.

Mac OS X is UNIX™ :cool:
"Leopard Earns UNIX 03 Certification"
(see http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/certificates/1190p.pdf and http://www.unix.org/unix03.html )

Btw, Linux is not "unix" :p

Mac OS X is UNIX™ :cool:
"Leopard Earns UNIX 03 Certification"
(see http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/certificates/1190p.pdf and http://www.unix.org/unix03.html )

Btw, Linux is not "unix" :p

hahaha, but if you want to get technical, Solaris is Unix-based but have you ever used it? Solaris gives Unix a bad name. The weirdo Sun weirdo keyboard is just plain painful. Every time I use Solaris I want to punch someone in the face.

Drunken_King,
If you decide to triple boot I think you will probably spend most of your time in OS X. You have most, if not all, of the same tools available in OS X. What keeps me from wanting to use OS X fulltime is the Dock. If I could somehow run a different Window manager I'd switch back in a heart beat. If you start using Linux you'll see what I mean.

Yes i have played with solaris. Its pretty hardcore :p
You say "unix-based" ..thats the difference, older version os Mac OS X was "unix-based", now it IS UNIX. Many *nix operative systems are "alike" unix ..but few really are, usually way non-mainstream and harcore, but imho OS X is the prettiest and mainstream REAL UNIX you can get..thats the irony, "grandma proven" easy GUI with HARD CORE UNIX behind ;)

hahaha, but if you want to get technical, Solaris is Unix-based but have you ever used it? Solaris gives Unix a bad name. The weirdo Sun weirdo keyboard is just plain painful. Every time I use Solaris I want to punch someone in the face.

Drunken_King,
If you decide to triple boot I think you will probably spend most of your time in OS X. You have most, if not all, of the same tools available in OS X. What keeps me from wanting to use OS X fulltime is the Dock. If I could somehow run a different Window manager I'd switch back in a heart beat. If you start using Linux you'll see what I mean.

:sick:

we used to have solaris systems in middle school in the computer labs. I hated life when using those.

What keeps me from wanting to use OS X fulltime is the Dock. If I could somehow run a different Window manager I'd switch back in a heart beat. If you start using Linux you'll see what I mean.

Hmm, usually people who dont like OS X Finder or otherwise the file management, havent learned all the good keyboard shortcuts. Imho in OS X when you learn the shortcuts, its ver fast, i would say the fastest OS to operate :)

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to try and triple boot with Windows XP, OS X and Linux. I just want to try out Linux because of a lot of the good things I heard about it. What are the differences between OS X and Linux? And do you think there is going to be a refresh of the MacBook line in September?

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to try and triple boot with Windows XP, OS X and Linux. I just want to try out Linux because of a lot of the good things I heard about it. What are the differences between OS X and Linux? And do you think there is going to be a refresh of the MacBook line in September?

Linux is a poor man's unix. OS X is real UNIX with polished graphical user interface and easy to use. OS X wins 100-0 Linux. Only thing "good" linux is, its free and OK for servers and such... Desktop usage is STILL pain. I mean, if you have OS X, you dont have any reasons to use Linux as a desktop OS. Usually people frustrated with Windows goesfor Linux because its stable and free (but not so polished), only thing OS X has negative imho is its expensive, because you need Mac hardware if you run it leagally(forget osx86). :rolleyes:

I run Debian Linux on my old PC as server (Firewall/NAS/gateway/irc/ssh/ftp.. and use my iMac for desktop :) Best of both worlds.

Linux is a poor man's unix. OS X is real UNIX with polished graphical user interface and easy to use. OS X wins 100-0 Linux. Only thing "good" linux is, its free and OK for servers and such... Desktop usage is STILL pain. I mean, if you have OS X, you dont have any reasons to use Linux as a desktop OS. Usually people frustrated with Windows goesfor Linux because its stable and free (but not so polished), only thing OS X has negative imho is its expensive, because you need Mac hardware if you run it leagally(forget osx86). :rolleyes:

I run Debian Linux on my old PC as server (Firewall/NAS/gateway/irc/ssh/ftp.. and use my iMac for desktop :) Best of both worlds.

Thanks for the unbiased well informed opinion.

Two Finger Double Click is stupid IMO.

Uncomfortable, annoying, and why the F cant they just add another button.

Honestly, I can deal with the other OSX oddities, but the 1 button just to be different is just stupid. If you think two finger double click is really nice, you dont use your computer enough for anything prroductive.

Honestly, I can deal with the other OSX oddities, but the 1 button just to be different is just stupid. If you think two finger double click is really nice, you dont use your computer enough for anything prroductive.

I am the exact opposite. I get really annoyed that I can't two finger right click (I assume you meant right click instead of double click) The way I hold my hand over the touchpad makes it really awkward to get to the right click, and is made even worse by the laptops that have a small right click button.

Since I am so used to the 2 finger, having to use a right click button really hinders my progress because when I want to right click I automatically try a 2 finger click. After one or 2 attempts I remember I can't do it, next time around same thing again. Its all about what you are used to. Running Vista on my MacBook doesn't help, because before running windows meant a right click button, now it doesn't matter.

In all reality when the vast majority of people want to be really productive on a laptop, they break out the portable mouse. No matter how a touch pad is set up, a mouse will easily put it to shame.

2 finger scroll and right click is the greatest invention in human history, being unable to do in windows really annoys me, I can't even use my g/f's laptop anymore.

Seems you havent learned to use or configure the mouse functions as apple has it made.
(two finger scrolling, two finger secondary click ... gestures etc...)
WTF is "two finger double click"? Do you mean secondary click ? Double clicking, just use the normal WIDE one button with your thumb(press it twise), you cant miss it! :pOr use a normal mouse :rolleyes:

What's exaclly wrong with safari? its the fastest browser on the market :confused:

When I first came over to the dark side, the iBook 1.33GHz G4 was new, it came with OS X 10.3 Panther, and whatever version of safari that came on it was horrid.

However comma pause for effect

Safari 3 which comes with Leopard is actually really nice, and if you use Nightly installs of Webkit like me, its even faster :)

Safari is alot better than any other browser for the Mac. Even Firefox 3.

Back