Transformer PAD Infinity (june release)

Hmm, didn't see GPS listed in the spec sheet. I wonder if that's still something they're trying to workout from the TF201.

well this one has the plastic strip at the top instead of a all metal back. THe asus pad 300, to be released next week has a similar design.

Have a link to any other new Asus pads? If I remember correctly there is supposed to be a 7" version with basically the same specs (lower resolution, same screen) as this June-release Infinity. I can't imagine the Infinity (Transformer 3) especially the version with the LTE connection, is going to go without GPS...even the WiFi version I expect would have it.

I understand why they are going Snapdragon S4 Dual because it is ready for LTE and Tegra3 is not. I remember seeing benchmarks where in general usage the S4 is almost as fast as the Tegra3, but the Tegra3 pulls ahead in 3D applications and possibly video. Personally, I want whichever one will play x264 encodes in high profile without having to recode for the damn thing. The Transformer (original) SHOULD have been able to do so, but because of the Tegra's fuckups it didn't work well.Hopefully Tegra 3 fixes this. Especially if they're going to put a 1920x1080 display on the damn thing, it had better fucking be able to play any common blu-ray rip in 720/1080p, mp4/mkv/ogm format with integrated subtitles; accelerated. By now I expect ALL video playing applications should be able to hook into the video acceleration API so we aren't left with software only.

Waiting for a new tablet, Asus has proven amongst the best so I'm eager to see their complete line.

Check out www.asustablets.us - It appears the new TF300 has been released! This version seems very similar to the Infinity, but lacks the 1920x1080 display. It also seems to be exclusively built on Tegra3 for the US launch, no Snapdragon S4 dual-core or LTE support... but then again I expect that version to be sold mostly through ATT/Verizon etc... Anyone know of any other differences between the two, spec wise?

Still nothing in reference to the 7" version or US availability of the Asus Padfone, unfortunately.

its pretty much a cheaper version of the prime. slower clocked cpu(1.2 vs 1.3), 300 nit brightness vs 600 and cheap plastic backing vs the metal (of course this fixes the signal issues that the prime had prime)

The 300 also has the same larger separation between the screen and the front glass and/or digitizer that the original Transformer had, which can cause more reflections. Not sure how much of a difference that and the brightness really make if you don't plan on outdoor use too often, though.

The 300 is tempting to me since I'm not sure I really NEED a table, so I'd rather not invest in something as expensive as the Infinity is going to be or an iPad. Then again, I think maybe I should just go for a DM1Z or a Thinkpad X130e. Decisions, decisions.

The 300 would be a steal at $350 or less imo... I got my original TF last summer for $300 (Office Depot $10 off tablet promo) and I love the thing, gotten more use out of it than I thought I would, but at the same time I could easily live without it so I don't think any mobile OS tablet is worth more than $350.

Only possible exception to that imo would be if you don't own a laptop and really don't need one for work/study. The dock is still somewhat overpriced but you can usually find them online for like $25 less (specially if bundled) after it's been out a couple months.

My 2c

Edit: Also, ASUS has been GREAT about updates BUT they've been having a terrible time getting ICS stable on the original TF, so much so that I'm still running Honeycomb. I'm sure that doesn't affect the 300/Prime right now but it bears mentioning with regards to future updates. They've been pretty timely with updates imo tho, and they've all added good stuff, back porting ICS has just been messy.

its pretty much a cheaper version of the prime. slower clocked cpu(1.2 vs 1.3), 300 nit brightness vs 600 and cheap plastic backing vs the metal (of course this fixes the signal issues that the prime had prime)

Seriously WTF. The plastic isn't "cheap". I've never ever heard of a single TF having the back break. Going with a non-metal backs saves a lot of money on something that provides nearly ZERO value average person other than "it's pretty". What are you doing with it..beating zombies?

Well, the plastic back has more of a tendency to start creaking with time (mine does, tho it's held up well regardless)... OTOH it's also less scratch prone than aluminum.

Seriously WTF. The plastic isn't "cheap". I've never ever heard of a single TF having the back break. Going with a non-metal backs saves a lot of money on something that provides nearly ZERO value average person other than "it's pretty". What are you doing with it..beating zombies?

I actually meant cheaper in comparison to the infinity alum. I actually like the first transformer backing which was very light.

Hopefully the US gets the Transformer Infinity sometime in June or July. I think I will pick one up for my self as a graduation present. I will be looking to get the 64gb WiFi version with a dock. This is the tablet that I have been waiting for. On a side note I was at BestBuy today and played around with the 300 and the prime. The 300 with its plastic back just felt kind of cheap in comparison to the prime. The Prime just seemed to be more refined and felt nicer.

I did buy the TF300 for the gf. Yes, the plastic feels does feel cheap and flexes. Other than that its a great little tablet! Worth it for $350 bucks at microcenter.

I did buy the TF300 for the gf. Yes, the plastic feels does feel cheap and flexes. Other than that its a great little tablet! Worth it for $350 bucks at microcenter.

The TF300 is $350 at MC? That's a really good deal for a Tegra 3 tablet imo, the original TF is still selling for that much at many stores... And there's a lot of older dual core Tegra 2 or Exynos tablets still going for $399+ too.

I hope they phase out the ill-fated TF200 / Prime and just replace it with the TF700 / Infinity when it comes out, thus lowering the price back to earth. $500 is fine for a premium 1080p model imo, the $600+ they were suggesting is just a bad idea imo...

With the higher res screen in the 700, will everything on the screen be smaller like switching to a high res screen on a computer or will everything be scaled to normal like the New Ipad with it's high res screen

Android scales pretty well across resolutions, some UI elements might be slightly smaller but I doubt it'll be a huge difference... Android was actually built to run at different res from the start, unlike iOS. That's why we can have 720p phones with similarly sized elements as 800x480 phones from two years ago.

I've been to Microcenter about 3 times now trying to convince myself to pull the trigger on a tablet (preferably Asus), and have not been able to do it. When the t101 got down to $299 I went and chickened out again. I just can't see the use for myself, but I think when these Tegra 3 tabs get down to $300 I'll finally grab one.

Back