Transferring files wireless from one computer to another question

UnrealCpu

2[H]4U
I have a Asus Wireless router RT-N66 U on a wireless N network . Router is located downstairs . desktop with wireless Asus wireless N device is connected to router. I am trying to figure out what I am supposed to be getting on transfer speeds..

So anyway i have a USB 2.0 hard drive connected to the router downstairs. I am on a wireless N only network. When i transfer a file to the hard drive i usually only get 7 Megabytess per sec . I guess this equates to 70MBs ... My desktop says 1Gigabit lan connection.. So is this the maximum i should be getting? Also if i get a NAS hard drive what is the wireless transfer speeds now to a hard drive?

Thanks for your help

70Mb/sec sounds about right with Wireless N giving the circumstances that it's going through a floor, especially if it's a bunch of small - medium sized files.

That Gigabit LAN connection is only if the computer is connected to the computer via a physical cable, in which case the speeds should be faster.

Understand that approximately 50% of WiFi data is protocol overhead. Your actual data throughput will be, under best case circumstances, somewhat less than half of the connection speed you see on your laptop. (IE, a 300 Mbps connection will yield roughly 130 Mbps of actual data delivered).

I'm guessing you're connected at 150 Mbps wireless N. 7 MBps = 56 Mbps, so given that half of 150 Mbps is 75, getting 56 Mbps of actual throughput (taking into consideration as well that your file transfer introduces SMB and TCP overhead as well) is pretty typical.

70Mb/sec sounds pretty good for a single HDD.

You are limited by the disk and its interface as well, not just the network.

Understand that approximately 50% of WiFi data is protocol overhead. Your actual data throughput will be, under best case circumstances, somewhat less than half of the connection speed you see on your laptop. (IE, a 300 Mbps connection will yield roughly 130 Mbps of actual data delivered).

I'm guessing you're connected at 150 Mbps wireless N. 7 MBps = 56 Mbps, so given that half of 150 Mbps is 75, getting 56 Mbps of actual throughput (taking into consideration as well that your file transfer introduces SMB and TCP overhead as well) is pretty typical.

My local connection is 1GBps over wireless asus A66U wireless adapter

I get roughly 70-80MBps over wireless which equates to 7-8MBs when transferring files to my router which is directly connected to a USB 2.0 hard drive i.e. cloud drive.

My local connection is 1GBps over wireless asus A66U wireless adapter

I get roughly 70-80MBps over wireless which equates to 7-8MBs when transferring files to my router which is directly connected to a USB 2.0 hard drive i.e. cloud drive.

70-80 Mbps is 8.75-10 MBps. 8 bits (b) per byte (B).

Wireless sucks, USB 2.0 sucks, SMB protocol sucks (especially if there are small files). Feel lucky you're even getting that speed. Get that desktop wired up. Wireless is for mobility only. And get a USB 3.0 or eSATA box for that HD if you want good speed, or take out the drive and use it internally.

Back