Training Camps for Noobs?

Training camp?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

roftranspo

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2006
Since it was brought up before, What do you guys think of a training camp type deal to help out noobs. Im thinking of letting anyone who wants to be a coach/mentor to any noobs that come in. It would focus help for little things and starting up. Plus it would give people a chance to get familiar with at least someone active in the forum and hopefully let them feel more comfortable getting active in the forum. We could have a sticky that shows all of the coaches w/ a little history of them so then noobs can pick what camp they want to join. anymore idea? And i will be more than happy to be incharge of it too.

NEW IDEA: How about a new sub-forum that is devouted to specially to help and answering questions. We can move/copy threads over like [H]orde Central, Milestones, etc. And have a list of the mentors with contact info so noobs will know who will be available to help them. Im thinking listing out people who are very active and what to be a part of help noobs get up off their feet and folding full bore....always it will centralize all the help/info threads ie when someone ask about GPU folding, someone doesnt have to search 4-5 pages back and filter through all of the none info threads...how about this...i really dont want this to be in anyway competitive....it should be a "safe-haven" for people to go and get help on what they need, nuthin else. and once they have everything squared away then kick them out into the main forum with marty and moosie :)

That all sounds good but I don't want a n00b like you to be in charge of this... :p Bah this would be awesome after all I'm a n00b :)

But, all the noobs would pick me since I'm the [H]ardest of them all.

marty9876 said:
But, all the noobs would pick me since I'm the [H]ardest of them all.
Not quite, I'll pick the one that's whupping you right now :D

Jon855 said:
Can't you take a little friendly punch? Suppose not... :confused:

apparently you dont know what a comeback is...sorry i missed the smiley face. and im also want this thread to stay somewhat serious.

roftranspo said:
‘There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool.’-roftranspo

I really like the idea. Get more people up to speed and make it easier to get some more people folding. :)

But, I did vote no... Just cause I don't like ya.... :D

dekard said:
I've got a motto!!
but if its by noobs, then how do you get answers and if you have all the answers, are you reallly a noob then?
:p

I don't think we need a new subforum, but we can edit the stickies to reflect this if that is what the team decides.

AtomicMoose said:
I don't think we need a new subforum, but we can edit the stickies to reflect this if that is what the team decides.
That would be a great help I reckon :) Either way I'll be happy. Only concern with sticky is that it may get really winding long.

Jon855 said:
That would be a great help I reckon :) Either way I'll be happy. Only concern with sticky is that it may get really winding long.
Well, I am open to discussion. Convince me of it, and I'll bring it up to Kyle.

Make me a believer.
;)

Actually at one point we had something of a small group that did Q/A type stuff for noobs, it was started by Majic. It worked good for quite some time and then it just kinda fell by the wayside when the questions stopped coming. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=886240

Help sub forum:
1. Can keep help/info seperate from "normal" team posts
2. Help keep repeats post down...and when there is...it will make it easier to refind the repeat post.
3. Assigning a couple of "mentors" ensures that questions get answered quickly letting people get folding quicker and easier
4. Its pretty much making a horde help desk
5. a sub forum would better than a single thread to help keep questions seperate from eachother.
6. it will be an active faq since people posting questions will probably answer other people same question

I'm mobile right now so I'm kinda limited...if u need it more BS...i can make some more points later...these r the key points though

roftranspo said:
Help sub forum:
1. Can keep help/info seperate from "normal" team posts
2. Help keep repeats post down...and when there is...it will make it easier to refind the repeat post.
3. Assigning a couple of "mentors" ensures that questions get answered quickly letting people get folding quicker and easier
4. Its pretty much making a horde help desk
5. a sub forum would better than a single thread to help keep questions seperate from eachother.
6. it will be an active faq since people posting questions will probably answer other people same question

I'm mobile right now so I'm kinda limited...if u need it more BS...i can make some more points later...these r the key points though

1. This is what the DC subforum is for

2. Repeat posts will happen regardless of subforums, stickies etc. because most ppl don't search.

3. I think our DC mods do a wonderful job of that already.

4. Once again, this is what the subforum is for.

5. Agreed on that point, but see 1 and 4.

6. We have a pretty comprensive FAQ as is, and once again, people generally tend not to search, and will make a new thread.

Rich Tate said:
1. This is what the DC subforum is for

2. Repeat posts will happen regardless of subforums, stickies etc. because most ppl don't search.

3. I think our DC mods do a wonderful job of that already.

4. Once again, this is what the subforum is for.

5. Agreed on that point, but see 1 and 4.

6. We have a pretty comprensive FAQ as is, and once again, people generally tend not to search, and will make a new thread.

Well the only subforum under DC is FS/FT. Your 1 & 4 is null and void.

Personally I think it would be great to have a section for newbies to put down questions and etc and it would keep all of the clutter in one section and more likely if I need something there may be one thread right there so I can just grab that and ride it. I think that's gonna be a key in keeping the whole thing much more cleaner and organized.

1. Cleaner "interface" less cluttered
2. All of questions, troubleshooting and more in one section makes for easier learning
3. This'll encourage more smack talking in the main forum without losing the support threads
4. Cuz Moose will roam around and I might just go Moose hunting one day [H]ardcore reason :rolleyes:

I think he's saying that the entire point of the DC Subforum of the forums as a whole have the purpose of smack, and help. It's human nature for people not to search and not to piggyback on an existing thread, so no matter what we do, people are always going to post their own thread to get the answers they want.

It's the way it goes.

Jon855 said:
4. Cuz Moose will roam around and I might just go Moose hunting one day [H]ardcore reason
Trust me, your gun ain't big enough to Moose hunt around here.
:D

p[H]ant0m said:
I think he's saying that the entire point of the DC Subforum of the forums as a whole have the purpose of smack, and help. It's human nature for people not to search and not to piggyback on an existing thread, so no matter what we do, people are always going to post their own thread to get the answers they want.

It's the way it goes.

Teh Winnar.

Rich Tate said:
Teh Winnar.
Here is your prize!
keyring.jpg

So, I am thinking that a new subforum may not be needed here. But, I like the idea of helping new folks get off the ground, just like we had back in March of last year.

AtomicMoose said:
Trust me, your gun ain't big enough to Moose hunt around here.
:D
I was talking about the real hunting you know... Pun intended...

AtomicMoose said:
Here is your prize!
keyring.jpg

So, I am thinking that a new subforum may not be needed here. But, I like the idea of helping new folks get off the ground, just like we had back in March of last year.

I'll vote for that...

Ok...im back...To address Rich's comments:
i was talking about a sub-forum to DC's forum.
This doesnt seem like an outrages order since many other forums here have it example is the case modding forum, they dont "need" a case gallery sub-forum but they too keep things clean. This all matter is about keeping the forum a little more cleaner. Think of it as a help desk per say....it a designated place to ask for help inside of the DC forum. True some will post in the main DC forum but for those you who will look before hitting "new Thread" will see something like "DC Help Desk...post questions here" well then it will move attention to there for help instead of mixing it in with Race threads, bitching about protiens/marty/myself and other threads that are more about team activity as opposed to team help. And if this is something the high ups dont want...well then oh well...but so far it is looking like the team likes the idea.

We have a Case Gallery because we have a ton of award winning modders and enthusiasts who want to show off their work to the community. This is an apples and oranges comparison.

I understand your point totally, but believe me it's not going to work the way you think.

We recently decided to split the Gaming forum into two subs Console and PC, this was mainly done to help cut down on the PC vs console flaming.

We still, after how many monthes have people that are completely unaware the subs exist and post in the root forum no matter how many threads we move or stickies we make.

People do not search, they start a new post with their question, get it answered and move on.

Take a look at the Gaming FAQ. It answers just about every issue you combat nowadays, then look at how many hits, and how many questions are posted asking for information that is contained there. Your idea of a comprehensive, user generated databse is a great one, but the majority of forum goers will not use it, they'll use the method stated above.

It is a good idea, but the practical application of this isn't going to go anywhere near the way you think it will and will only increase the need for moderation.

and im not totally talking about people searching the threads and what not....and i expect a ton of repeats in that forum but my thought is that if you are new to this forum and the first thing you see is "Help Desk" as a thread...then people will post there and not the main forum...and yea...i totally see your point about people just seeing and hitting the "new thread" button instantly but hopefully they will see the "help desk" sub-forum first and post it in there. and again...if no one wants to create than so be it...just a thought still.

Really isn't my call to make anyways bro, just giving you my point of view.

p[H] and Moose are in charge in these parts, not me. ;)

Rich Tate said:

yeah...but i have to convince moosie and moosie will side with you :)

The biggest thing is we don't get enough traffic around these parts to warrant splitting things up more than they are. The fact is, very rarely is the day where a thread is gone from the front page in a day. Other than that, things are self explanitory. We have the [H]orde Central which has links to everything for the express purpose of getting things in order and easier to find. It's been busted down by topic so if someone has a question, easy reference.

I really think the need for another subforum just for questions is unecessary as its a good thing when everyone jumps in and chimes in. Also, alot of times those question threads turn into welcome threads and so forth. Let's leave things as they are.

Rich Tate said:

QFT

Well lets just hope the forum admins are not reading this deep into a thread.

You can't make a sub forum for help because that's what this sub forum is for. Asking Kyle for this and I'm sure he would ask you WTF the existing forum is being used for. The answer can't be we've all turned it into a poor mans Genmay fourm (off topic posting). Yea, we get away with more in this forum than all other forums combined times the total number of points the team has. Frankly, some days we get away with more in here than others do in the pay off topic forum in my opinion.

This is not because of the mods here. Doesn't hurt they sub forum mods let some stuff go (less lately you prissy wussies!), it's just the way the DC forum has always been. I'm sure an *old-timer* will chime in if the forum was 100% DC program related before my time here, I'm guessing they won't. One could, and have said, thing are different/were different but lets just leave that door untouched please.

I guess in short, can't ask for sub forum cuz we've all crapped up this one....

Rest of the points about people not reading stickies/sub forums etc. I'm to tired to type the same thing somebody already else has. Moot points all in all not carrying much weight anyways.

RE mods quickly answering new members questions- This is not their jobs, nor do they really currently (a lot they do, a lot they don't). Take it easy... I'm much worse than the mods at answering things. In my opinion, it's all the team mates to answer the new guys questions in a polite fashion (READ THE F_ING STICKIE is the wrong answer). Again, my opinion. Time and time again I'm just too lazy to answer the same old question for the 100th time, but we all need to.

Anyways- golden rule #1. What happens in DC sub forum, stays in DC sub forum.

ps I got the DC 4-sale forum done... ;)

Back