Traffic outside of VPN tunnel

jfyeh

Limp Gawd
I have 2 computers. 1 Desktop, 1 laptop. Both use wireless NIC's to get out to the internet.

I also have a wired connection between the two machines using wired ethernet. I use this for my synergy application. I have internal non-routable addresses on the same subnet on both interfaces. The application works fine.

The problem lies in when I connect my laptop to my company's VPN. Once the tunnel is setup all the traffic is passed through the tunnel and my Synergy connection goes down.

I'm using a different physical interface but the traffic is still being tunneled.

Is there a workaround for the Synergy connection to stay up even whent the VPN tunnel is established?

Thats the nature of VPN, 1 ending point on each end of the VPN.
If you had the connection to the Synergy PC available, that'd be opening up the VPN to the synergy box...no security there

So traffic out of my wired connection is sent through my VPN tunnel through my wireless card?

I can understand how all my wireless traffic would be going through the tunnel.

Is there no possible workaround?

What you are describing is known as split tunneling and is generally a no-no when it comes to VPNs.

Also, since it is your work that you are VPN'ing into, your best course of action is to talk to you network admin/help desk about possible work arounds. Trying to circumvent it without talking to them opens them up to attacks and you to being fired.

Welcome to corporate VPN :) It's like this to prevent the open world from accessing your corporate systems.

Not all VPN is like this, however. CheckPoint SecureClient does allow non-tunneled IP traffic IF your companies security policy is set to do that.

Microsoft PPTN also does as you indicate. All traffic is through the tunnel once the tunnel is initiated.

-Larry

I have 2 computers. 1 Desktop, 1 laptop. Both use wireless NIC's to get out to the internet.

I also have a wired connection between the two machines using wired ethernet. I use this for my synergy application. I have internal non-routable addresses on the same subnet on both interfaces. The application works fine.

The problem lies in when I connect my laptop to my company's VPN. Once the tunnel is setup all the traffic is passed through the tunnel and my Synergy connection goes down.

I'm using a different physical interface but the traffic is still being tunneled.

Is there a workaround for the Synergy connection to stay up even whent the VPN tunnel is established?

Back