Trade my 570's for 6950's for 2560x1600?

Boyiee

Limp Gawd
Now that HT is off, I'm getting much better performance with my sli evga 570's. But with the delays to the next series, and being offered $500 for both cards, I'm thinking about switching to 2x 2gb 6950's (unlockable/flashable ones obviously) so that I have more vram for my resolution. The idea behind switching isn't just to get 5-10fps more and a little vram, I also see this as one of my last chances to get this kind of value for my 570's. Switching to the other cards will only cost me $50-$100.

Is it worth switching? My cpu is OC'd to 4.0ghz, and I typically am running BF3 at high settings.

If its worth switching, should I wait for the Toxic 6950 to come back in stock, or pull the trigger on some Dirt 3 Editions

With that offer I would do it, I got my 6950s for about $400, if you buy used it may cost nothing.

Why would switching cost you an extra $50-100? 6950s are generally cheaper than 570s. If anything it should be a straight trade or even cash given to you (this is assuming you are trading someone used cards for used cards).

Also, $500 for two 570s is a pretty good deal.

I don't know about "last chance" to get value out of your cards. As soon as the new generation of cards come out on both sides, both current gens will lose value, so you're really not saving anything unless you want to get more VRAM. Which, at that res, you may want to.

I'm not trading someone in hand, its a friend who lives out of state so paypal and such would be used.

The 6950's would be brand new unless I find some in a buyselltrade thread.

So switching would cost me a few bucks because the 570s would net me 500, which I'd put towards new 6950s @260 each, factor in shipping and paypal costs for getting rid of the 570s and I lose a few dollars.

In any case you shouldn't be losing anywhere to the tune of $100 on the deal. I've seen unlocked 6950s on the FS/FT for around $250-260 so I would say it's not unreasonable to think you can get a deal where you don't pay anything out of pocket, or at least no more than $10-20.

Also, frankly, 570s are worth more and are in general faster than 6950s anyway (depending on VRAM requirements).

Yeah but if the shaders are unlocked or the bios switched then the 6950's are pretty much 6970's, pair that along with the added vram, I'd get better performance for BF3 on a 30inch monitor.

Well you probably wouldn't see any gains. There will be trade offs, and the VRAM at the resolution barely goes over 1200 unless playing STALKER COP, GTAIV, and a few other games. I monitor my VRAM usage on my G15 LCD and most games I don't even break the 1 gig mark. So at your resolution if you're upgrading for more VRAM you're not gaining anything.

Yeah but if the shaders are unlocked or the bios switched then the 6950's are pretty much 6970's, pair that along with the added vram, I'd get better performance for BF3 on a 30inch monitor.

No, you would have to overclock to 6970 speeds for it to be like a 6970. A simple shader unlock is going to net you like 5-10% extra performance, if that.

I would think about it this way: Game developers are not going to make games expecting you to have more than 1 GB of VRAM in the near future. Doing so would destroy a large portion of their potential consumer base. If you want to run everything at a super-high res with 4X FSAA, then yeah, probably you are going to need that extra VRAM. However, I wouldn't say it's worthwhile to spend more money on a sidegrade just to get that extra VRAM. That's just me, though.

I would think about it this way: Game developers are not going to make games expecting you to have more than 1 GB of VRAM in the near future. Doing so would destroy a large portion of their potential consumer base. If you want to run everything at a super-high res with 4X FSAA, then yeah, probably you are going to need that extra VRAM. However, I wouldn't say it's worthwhile to spend more money on a sidegrade just to get that extra VRAM. That's just me, though.

But most developers assume users are running a resolution of 1080p or less... It would be better to get 6950's, overclock them and unlock if possible, and he could feel safe knowing he won't pass the vram barrier anytime soon.

Back