TPU: Ryzen review samples out, NDA lift and launch Feb. 28/Mar. 2

Intel will not reduce their prices substantially. When system builders sell a 4 or 6 core Ryzen system for $150 to $200 less people will buy it and their kids who game will be happy with it and that will be the orocess of mindshare building.

If that happens I agree AMD will sell more, but I don't think so, Intel has already stated their margins will go down, there is just no way to justify why they would say that to their share holders without price cuts.

And if that happens I think that is Intel being very stupid lol.

Intel will still hold a performance and power advantage over AMD so I also don't see them budging on prices. If AMD does manage to out class Intel, like they did for a few years with the Athlon era, Intel can hold on and wait for AMD stock to dry up as they also hold the advantage of having better supply.

What I do forsee happening is if AMD has a product that is truly badass, that can match Intel, be cheaper and offers lots of cores then you will see price hikes in stores and the inability to buy a product.

I've noticed tons of (sponsored?) kaby lake articles over the last few weeks combined with several sales of Intel processors that almost never go on sale, combined with the fact that Intel launched that unlocked i3... and announced a few speed bumped SKUs Sounds like intel might know a few things. I'm not saying intel is running scared or anything, but they are definitely posturing a bit differently than they have over the last few years. Is it just my imagination?

I am taking it as evidence that the performance is good enough to worry Intel, it will then matter on pricing. Intel making a K sku for the i3, hyperthreaded Pentiums, rumors of HT i5s, training slides to retail employees about how Intel is good. These are things we haven't seen Intel have to do for quite a while, and I'm taking that as a good sign, if for nothing else than competition in the space that will benefit consumers.

Microcenter just emailed me they are having a blowout Intel sale right now. It would seem the timing is perfect to clear shelves and inventory to make way for what apparently Microcenter thinks will be a hot selling item. This is just a hunch and the timing looks about right. 2 weeks of heavy BYOPC CPU Intel sales and then BANG Zen launches and are selling like hotcakes.

os2wiz, you don't care and anyone that knows their CPU's don't, but the millions that don't? Why would there be fence sitting, when Ryzen is competing against Haswell and Broadwell, the later we don't know yet but Haswell looks to be a certainty. The average CPU or full computer upgrade is 4.5 years, err those are Ivy bridge computers lol. People that are sitting on fence that have Intel products right now, might not be compelled to upgrade to Ryzen, they might just sit and wait longer, or if Intel drops prices to match up with Ryzen, Ryzen won't be alone as a product Intel has better brand recognition and branding.

This is what I was saying before, how many Ivy bridge users are going to look at an equivalent Ryzen product or within 15% of its performance, and think, "I need to upgrade".

Most people that have already made commitments to buy Ryzen systems, well, just ask them what system they have now, they will not say Ivy Bridge, most likely they will have a BD system or an Intel system older than Sandy Bridge.

I think you are spot-on here. I am one of those Ivy Bridge owners and I'm going to sit and wait to see what the performance is. And I've already pretty much convinced myself I'm not going to buy anything with less than 6 cores for my next upgrade. Right now I am not CPU limited in any games I play so it's not a pressing issue.

Sitting on a Sandy Bridge (i5-2500K and i7-2600K). The reason Ryzen looks compelling is that it could bring a performance upgrade plus a doubling of the core count at a much more reasonable price than Intel. It also brings all of the other new technologies like PCIe 3.0, USB 3.1, DDR4 RAM, M.2, etc not available with Sandy Bridge. There just seems to be "enough" change to make an upgrade worth it but I'm still skeptical. The CPU improvements have been so tiny in the past 6 years that it still might not be worth it. Can't wait to see more benchmarks next week.

os2wiz, you don't care and anyone that knows their CPU's don't, but the millions that don't? Why would there be fence sitting, when Ryzen is competing against Haswell and Broadwell, the later we don't know yet but Haswell looks to be a certainty. The average CPU or full computer upgrade is 4.5 years, err those are Ivy bridge computers lol. People that are sitting on fence that have Intel products right now, might not be compelled to upgrade to Ryzen, they might just sit and wait longer, or if Intel drops prices to match up with Ryzen, Ryzen won't be alone as a product Intel has better brand recognition and branding.

This is what I was saying before, how many Ivy bridge users are going to look at an equivalent Ryzen product or within 15% of its performance, and think, "I need to upgrade".

Most people that have already made commitments to buy Ryzen systems, well, just ask them what system they have now, they will not say Ivy Bridge, most likely they will have a BD system or an Intel system older than Sandy Bridge.

I think you are spot-on here. I am one of those Ivy Bridge owners and I'm going to sit and wait to see what the performance is. And I've already pretty much convinced myself I'm not going to buy anything with less than 6 cores for my next upgrade. Right now I am not CPU limited in any games I play so it's not a pressing issue.

Same. My 4790k is still strong, board has all the features I need, and there is little to none difference (depends really on game) between my cpu and Kaby Lake. If Ryzen in my price range - that means 1600-1700 doesn't smoke my cpu out of the water - and that would require about 20% more FPS than I get now, there is no point to switch. I'd rather first swap my 980 ti for 1080, as it would give me more power.

There is also a bigger question that just pure oomph. I want to wait and see how mature are drivers, if there are any issues with chipset and so on - it's a new platform after all, so I'd rather not spend my money to be a beta tester :)

I might get Ryzen 2, or whatever upgrade AMD plans next year. next year though, that should have significant advantage over Devil Canyon.

Sitting on a Sandy Bridge (i5-2500K and i7-2600K). The reason Ryzen looks compelling is that it could bring a performance upgrade plus a doubling of the core count at a much more reasonable price than Intel. It also brings all of the other new technologies like PCIe 3.0, USB 3.1, DDR4 RAM, M.2, etc not available with Sandy Bridge. There just seems to be "enough" change to make an upgrade worth it but I'm still skeptical. The CPU improvements have been so tiny in the past 6 years that it still might not be worth it. Can't wait to see more benchmarks next week.

Because they can go from 4 core to 8 core at the same or cheaper price.

If that happens I agree AMD will sell more, but I don't think so, Intel has already stated their margins will go down, there is just no way to justify why they would say that to their share holders without price cuts.

And if that happens I think that is Intel being very stupid lol.

Their margins will go down because they will cut select skus by 20% or so. They will NOT come within 20% of Ryzen on the 8 and 6 cores, It will still make sense to upgrade to Ryzen. Keep dreaming. The world has changed right under your eyes and you can not accept it.

Their margins will go down because they will cut select skus by 20% or so. They will NOT come within 20% of Ryzen on the 8 and 6 cores, It will still make sense to upgrade to Ryzen. Keep dreaming. The world has changed right under your eyes and you can not accept it.

Err Data center margins are going to get hit the most...... Guess what those chips are?

You just don't follow financial quarterly release information lol. which no company in the right mind would say margins are going to drop if they aren't actually going to drop lol.

Just sold and shipped my Rampage 4 and 3930K and shipped it off today. This damn Zen better be worth the fact I sold a killer 6 core processor. Because that is why I sold it. So I can finally leave Sandy Bridge and get on the Zen wagon.

Just sold and shipped my Rampage 4 and 3930K and shipped it off today. This damn Zen better be worth the fact I sold a killer 6 core processor. Because that is why I sold it. So I can finally leave Sandy Bridge and get on the Zen wagon.

Based on the multicore benchmark leaks I think you will be just fine. Now you just have to hope it overclocks well for good single threaded performance.

I'm going to spend the big bucks on the 1800 but it does seem a lot to pay over the next model underneath it which is like $100 less and is only 200mhz slower.

Based on the multicore benchmark leaks I think you will be just fine. Now you just have to hope it overclocks well for good single threaded performance.

In all fairness the 3930K isn't that great, anymore in fact it is quite poor, in single threaded applications by the most contemporary standards. I feel like any immediately modern iteration of a processor will be significantly faster in single threaded applications.

Take for instance the 6900K, it is on average, per benchmakr, over 30% faster in almost all single threaded test. And if Zen, and looks to be, is faster in it's highest tier option then it should be around 30-35% faster than my 3930K and to me a 30% increase in single threaded performance is certainly 100% worthy of upgrading given today's stagnant increases in performance.And if we look at the 7700K it is even faster by another few percent.

I sat on my 3930K for almost 6 years now. That is far longer than I ever used to sit on a chip in the past. In the past it was moving fast enough I could justifiably upgrade every 2 years. I guess we have been that stagnant.

What really drove me to decide to sell it and go with Zen was waiting while performing post production on my DJI Mavic and Autel Xstar Premium drone videos in 4k. It was just taking a long time. More than I remember in days of old. So why not I said.

Last edited:
Why do some folks expect big game play increases? In most cases you are GPU limited and not cpu limited - you may improve some game minimums that is about it (brief moments). Unless one has use for the extra processing power beyond gaming requirements and/or really need the extra more modern platform then it might not really do much of anything for them. The 6 core version if it can be OC high enough might be the best bang per buck processor for gaming for the next several years.

Why do some folks expect big game play increases? In most cases you are GPU limited and not cpu limited - you may improve some game minimums that is about it (brief moments). Unless one has use for the extra processing power beyond gaming requirements and/or really need the extra more modern platform then it might not really do much of anything for them. The 6 core version if it can be OC high enough might be the best bang per buck processor for gaming for the next several years.

Depends on the platform your coming from. I expect a big increase over my 8350 I have now and I like a big increase in my minimum frames as I have a 144hz monitor as I am sensitive to anything under 60 fps. I will likely get the 1700 and enjoy the hell out of my upgrade as my motherboard has not been the same since I spilled water on it. Then at some point I will upgrade my aging 290x, even tho I will miss my mini nuclear reactor.

Read my post just above yours. I need more performance for post processing my drone videos etc... gaming performance is a side bonus.

Depends on the platform your coming from. I expect a big increase over my 8350 I have now and I like a big increase in my minimum frames as I have a 144hz monitor as I am sensitive to anything under 60 fps. I will likely get the 1700 and enjoy the hell out of my upgrade as my motherboard has not been the same since I spilled water on it. Then at some point I will upgrade my aging 290x, even tho I will miss my mini nuclear reactor.
Well I agree, anyone with AMD Bulldozer era CPU and has a greater then 60hz monitor (this would include VR) will probably get some noticeable performance improvements. Still you would need a powerful current generation GPU 1080+ to see it.

For example: Gamers benchmark :sneaky:, FutureMark TimeSpy
My piece of piledriven FX9590 with two GTX 1070s in SLI got 9503 (max stable system, I could go higher for higher numbers). Maybe question should be who puts Pascals in a Bulldozer build? Never mind that answer.
Doing search for I5-6600K processor with SLI 1070s, currently I would be ranked 43 out of 18,748 inputs for the I5 6600K crowd. Last month with my same number I would be in the top ten so it is being pushed higher as time goes on. Maybe I should waste more time and get my score around 9800, naaaa.

Anyways that would put me at the 99.7 percentile bracket for that test in rankings for the I5 6600K bunch(if I did my math right).

In the I5 7600K crowd 2x 1070 in SLI, I would be ranked #2 with that same score.

So would I see much game improvement? I think it would depend upon the game.

Last edited:
Lisa, " we are going to make a great CPU, so great its going to be the greatest cpu ever made. It's going to be great folks, so great"

bKO5HNO.jpg

Lisa, " we are going to make a great CPU, so great its going to be the greatest cpu ever made. It's going to be great folks, so great"

please dont bring that ahole into this discussion. He is an embarassment, not a joke. Lisa Su deserves better than that.

please dont bring that ahole into this discussion. He is an embarassment, not a joke. Lisa Su deserves better than that.

Hahahah I was just trying to test how good I was at saying that. HAHAHA I share the same thoughts about him. But Its just too funny.

Back