TPU: Ryzen review samples out, NDA lift and launch Feb. 28/Mar. 2

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by ir0nw0lf, Feb 15, 2017.

1. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Just caught this from TPU. No source is listed, so no idea where they got the info, so don't shoot me. :p

AMD Ryzen Reviews and Shipping Coming on February 28th

Slight update on the Ryzen Event: reports confirm that Ryzen samples are finding their way to reviewers' hands, with the company's NDA being lifted on the 28th February - and the launch of AMD's flagship 1800X, 1700X and (my favorite so far) 1700 models on the same day. The remaining models in AMD's 17-strong Ryzen product-line are expected to follow a little later, on March 2nd.

Early leaked benchmarks have hailed the Ryzen launch as the second coming of a competitive CPU landscape for the first time in years, and as a turning point for AMD's position in the market. Fingers crossed, people: competition (alongside sufficient supply) is the holy grail for a consumer's wallet. Let's hope this is the much-needed spark towards reviving the CPU market and inciting future product development.

leadays likes this.
  2. Spirit_Retro

Spirit_Retro Limp Gawd

So can someone on the H staff make a completely non sequitur post about Dolphins mating if the chip is any good? Or at least doesn't suck?

Seriously... just write an article about the mating habits of the Water Bear. Or the Nazca lines....

RosaJ likes this.
  3. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

4. Iching

Iching [H]ard|Gawd

I'm not going to be an early adopter. There will be issues to iron out etc.

5. kdh

kdh Gawd

can't wait for this site to review the retail versions of these chips. AM4 build is definitely on the horizon for me.

6. SeymourGore

SeymourGore [H]ard|Gawd

Or if [H] doesn't want to be too crazy, just upload a review of an office chair as a sign that the Ryzen is worthy.

Dew likes this.
  7. Algrim

Algrim Gawd

For work I already have access to three 12c/24t computers and for home I have this 4c/8t computer that's handled everything I need it to so I'm not in the market for a while. However, if the leaks turn out to be close to accurate (by accurate I mean verified by [H]) I would consider a Ryzen system for my next build.

8. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ Gawd

the dolphin flies at midnight.

9. Spirit_Retro

Spirit_Retro Limp Gawd

The chair is against the wall.... John has a long mustache.....

Doozer, {NG}Fidel and Master_shake_ like this.
  10. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ Gawd

ketchup gloves are no way to treat a lady.....

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  11. razor1

razor1 [H]ardness Supreme

depends on the type of lady ;)

12. Seventyfive

Seventyfive Gawd

I have flip flopped between AMD and Intel since back in the AMD K6 and Celeron 300A days. I have no loyalties anywhere and would love to see a competitive chip but I will say... having the NDA lift only a few days before the actual release is NOT a good sign IMO. If the real world benchmarks were as good as the synthetics, AMD should want the hype train to start choo'chooing early. This reminds me of all the video game review embargos that happened for all the debacle flagship games that have come out in the last few years.

13. Shadohh

Shadohh Gawd

I disagree, show casing a product vs having it available for purchase is a very fine line.

If you tell me how awesome it is early and I cannot buy it than I get mad when I have to wait 3 months.

Instant gratification is a hell of a thing.

14. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ardOCP Motherboard Editor

Sorry, I wouldn't clue you in even if I had access to a Ryzen CPU or official data. :)

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  15. Spirit_Retro

Spirit_Retro Limp Gawd

This is what you get for being critical on H.

See how you are... I make one post about liking my 9590 and you go all mean and stuff.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  16. Spirit_Retro

Spirit_Retro Limp Gawd

That's not a lady- wear a condiment.

razor1 likes this.
  17. SeymourGore

SeymourGore [H]ard|Gawd

Say no more. Seymour caught on to your secret messaging. ;-)

18. LigTasm

LigTasm 2[H]4U

Interesting tidbit from the guy leaking the shots of the biostar boards under LN2 (obviously can't verify it as legit but he did post some more pics that WCCF did not):

19. Deimos

Deimos Gawd

I think the real question here is; will AMD be sending review samples to [H]?

20. razor1

Think Kyle answered that as a yes.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  21. SeymourGore

SeymourGore [H]ard|Gawd

Yar, I heard Kyle and AMD's romantic hotel stay went very well. Kyle's been a gentleman about not telling the more intimate details of their encounter, however.

razor1 likes this.
  22. os2wiz

os2wiz Limp Gawd

That have been more than a few benchmark leaks. There will be a ton of reviews published on February 28th. Nobody s trying to pull the wool over anybody's eyes. Just paranoia on your part. It is not a good or bad sign. You are reading your tea leaves incorrectly.

23. cbutters

cbutters Limp Gawd

I've noticed tons of (sponsored?) kaby lake articles over the last few weeks combined with several sales of Intel processors that almost never go on sale, combined with the fact that Intel launched that unlocked i3... and announced a few speed bumped SKUs Sounds like intel might know a few things. I'm not saying intel is running scared or anything, but they are definitely posturing a bit differently than they have over the last few years. Is it just my imagination?

24. Kaitian

Kaitian [H]ardness Supreme

Kyle insisted no knee pads for AMD. They complied.

25. Tzeh Pesh

Tzeh Pesh n00bie

Eager to read the reviews when they're out, but I am curious as to what went into the decision to have effectively simultaneous NDA and launch dates. Not so much paranoia as would have liked to have been a fly on the wall for that meeting.

For video game analogies, I think there is a negative view of it given the push for pre-order bonuses, "limited" editions costing extra and developers effectively buying themselves more time *cough-for-honor-late-beta-cough*, but not really a factor for CPUs. I'd have thought that given the positive feedback from leaks, AMD would have wanted to get official reviews out confirming those as early as possible to stymie sales with those looking at pulling the trigger on an Intel CPU at the moment. Only reason I can really come up with is that they're trying to keep Intel in the dark as much as possible regarding official performance and pricing, to give them as little time as possible adjust their own pricing or how to otherwise react to/counter act the launch?

Then again I don't get how there is a thread for people already pre-building Ryzen systems prior to reviews, nor do I have any experience running a large company, tech or otherwise, so perhaps the marketing strategy is just lost on me.

26. doz

doz [H]ardness Supreme

What do you think that meeting with Kyle was for? :D

27. NIVO

NIVO [H]ard|Gawd

hand picked samples suck. just like canned benchmarks. Real world cpu(meaning retail) to go with real world testing like [H] does and you'll get the picture.

28. CentroX

CentroX n00bie

gaming benchmarks is all enthusiasts care for and we know ryzen is better then i7 6900k in the most popular multiplayer shooter Battlefield 1. So ryzen is already a winner.

29. lolfail9001

lolfail9001 Gawd

Actually we know the exact opposite of this statement: boost-less ryzen is about 10% behind 6900k in BF1.

razor1 likes this.
  30. TaintedSquirrel

TaintedSquirrel [H]ardness Supreme

31. Pieter3dnow

Why would you not wait for the [H] review, with or without a NDA date as the people that do the testing figure out what works and what does not.
    Most likely if you are not looking for a new 8 core cpu Ryzen is not going to float your boat.

32. ecmaster76

ecmaster76 Gawd

Looks like Fry's is getting some ;)

33. os2wiz

os2wiz Limp Gawd

Perhaps there is sufficient information that has already been released that they have enough confidence to buy . That is me. I hate Intel.s corrupt and damaging monopolist behavior. I hate their stifling of innovation and overcharging us for a product that is far behind what it should be. I do not love AMD, but as the underdog you get value from them. Now they have closed most of the gap between their cpu line and Intel's with Ryzen. I do not care if the IPC is 10-15% less than Kaby Lake or Skylake. It will run every game I have more than adequately and it will do all sorts of work about as well and sometimes better than Intel's best 8 core consumer chips. Why should I wait for a review that is not likely to change my outlook. Only those who are already looking for an excuse NOT to buy Ryzen are still fence sitting. I have thoroughly researched the architecture of Ryzen and am satisfied with those benchmarks that have already been released that are trustworthy. Enjoy your fence sitting.

JustReason likes this.
  34. razor1

os2wiz, you don't care and anyone that knows their CPU's don't, but the millions that don't? Why would there be fence sitting, when Ryzen is competing against Haswell and Broadwell, the later we don't know yet but Haswell looks to be a certainty. The average CPU or full computer upgrade is 4.5 years, err those are Ivy bridge computers lol. People that are sitting on fence that have Intel products right now, might not be compelled to upgrade to Ryzen, they might just sit and wait longer, or if Intel drops prices to match up with Ryzen, Ryzen won't be alone as a product Intel has better brand recognition and branding.

This is what I was saying before, how many Ivy bridge users are going to look at an equivalent Ryzen product or within 15% of its performance, and think, "I need to upgrade".

Most people that have already made commitments to buy Ryzen systems, well, just ask them what system they have now, they will not say Ivy Bridge, most likely they will have a BD system or an Intel system older than Sandy Bridge.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  35. JustReason

JustReason [H]ard|Gawd

most of those are 4c intel users so in spite of 10-15% most are looking at more cores. consider that generally intel i7 goes for $350 then you can see why they might consider the 1700x @$389, even if it is a side grade at Best. 8 full cores have been better in my experience even when their ipc was lower than the 4c.

36. Pieter3dnow

Actually I would not hold my breath for Intel to drop prices.

If people are waiting so long do they even care what kind of system they are buying in the first place. In other words they did not care in the first place why all of a sudden would they change this? Kind of the opposite of what AMD purpose is to try and sell as many 8C16T products as they can.

37. razor1

most users don't need more than 4 cores, unless you need to do things for work, or hobby 3dist or video editing, etc.

I 100% believe they are, Intel would have not stated their margins are going down in their last financial call if that wasn't the case. And the drop in margins is large that doesn't happen unless product prices fall.

38. os2wiz

os2wiz Limp Gawd

39. razor1

Please edit you post for proper quotations,

I understand what you are saying about more cores are better for the future, but if AMD can't show that right now, its going to be of no avail.

Cause right now, very few games use more than 4 cores, you can count them on one hand if even that many. That is inclusive of DX12 or LLAPI games.

40. os2wiz

os2wiz Limp Gawd

Intel will not reduce their prices substantially. When system builders sell a 4 or 6 core Ryzen system for $150 to $200 less people will buy it and their kids who game will be happy with it and that will be the orocess of mindshare building.