Toys R Us Is Closing All Its U.S Stores

Window shopping was all it was good for. Even during the clearance sales, you could often times find the same item cheaper on Amazon. Unless they're going to actually compete, this is a waste of time and money.

They have new ownership so there's no reason they can't tweak their pricing and competitive strategies. The concept is valid (IMO), their approach to it wasn't.

At least Toys-R-Us had the sense to outsource their warehousing and distribution to Amazon before they finally kicked the bucket.

But Toy-R-Us and Sears were both killed by venture capitalists they had their assets spun off profits handed out to investors while being saddled with huge piles of debt by their own subsidiaries were generating managing what used to be their assets that they were now paying rent for and paying upkeep on.

Last edited:

Pretty sure that was at FAO Schwartz....and I'm not sure they still exist. But there's no doubt that making it an experience is their best bet at getting people in the store, but ultimately, you're dealing witht he issue of people going in for the experience, window shopping and buying from Amazon. That said, let's not pretend that Toys R Us went out of business because they weren't profitable, because they were. They just didn't have the money to service the debt, which I believe they took on when a private equity group bought them (LBO, I think).

Pretty sure that was at FAO Schwartz....and I'm not sure they still exist. But there's no doubt that making it an experience is their best bet at getting people in the store, but ultimately, you're dealing witht he issue of people going in for the experience, window shopping and buying from Amazon. That said, let's not pretend that Toys R Us went out of business because they weren't profitable, because they were. They just didn't have the money to service the debt, which I believe they took on when a private equity group bought them (LBO, I think).

Oh yeah FAO Schwartz is still there...and the famous keyboard is there on the second floor. Pretty sweet toy store if you are ever in NYC.

Toy stores rock. And are really sorely missed. We need a big toy store like this but instead of trying to be everywhere they need to be the high end destination. (Ok yea like FAO Schwartz) And they need to have all of the toys... but quality toys. Hire the hand lady to do open box videos on just everything. (From youtube she was banking a few million a year doing that.). Review the toys and carry the good ones and the Hot ones relegate to a smaller section of the store.

Don't compete in the Digital space. Have your base systems and such and a few games but don't try and have all of the current games on the shelves and such. But a Digital Kiosk for them would work so people could see the game and videos and such on them with explanations for parents about the ESRB warnings on them.

But in reality this is sad for many communities across the US. I have many fond memories of Toys R Us before the internet killed them. Sigh... And Sears too mind you!

They need to turn it into more of an experience. Think playground/arcade/toys.

Do they even make arcades now since consoles are powerful enough and can go online?
Work in a mall arcade in the mid-late 90s while going to tech school.
Last time I was in a mall was in 6 years and those games looked around 2000.

yes absolutely, most modern arcades are PC based but some are pretty impressive graphically (I played a new Tiato arcade game that used a 1080Ti in it)... regardless arcades are about a social experience, that's why most have bars and other activities, it's a place to go hang out... even retro arcades are doing this and doing quite well... ours is doing just fine down in Miami :)

I wish that Toys R Us turned into a game store... board games, retail video games, actual stand ups arcade games, TSR & card games, etc.

Plastic toys can be bought anywhere, and took up too much space. But the Games..? Plus, players need a place to congregate.

I wish that Toys R Us turned into a game store... board games, retail video games, actual stand ups arcade games, TSR & card games, etc.

Plastic toys can be bought anywhere, and took up too much space. But the Games..? Plus, players need a place to congregate.
Seems like that'd be in a comic store...I think in Dallas (probably Plano) they had a huge store that had comics, games and so on and there were tons of people playing games in the store.

Back