• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

TouchSmarts for Gaming??

JOSHSKORN

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 29, 2007
Messages
262
This is my second posting of this topic. It didn't seem to get any attention so I reposted it here. The original post is here.

OK I'm seriously behind in 'new' technology. I really only care about Desktops but recently, my mom bought this "HP TouchSmart" off one of those TV shopping networks. Not sure which one. My first thought was that I liked how contained it was, no computer on the desk (or floor in my case), and it works with any keyboard/mouse. Plus, it COULD be mounted on a wall, which defeats the purpose of a touch screen, because it'd be out of reach. Also, it looks like there's a way to hook it up to a cable box, although I'll have to look into that a bit better.

After checking its WEI score (which I know doesn't help all that much, just more for bragging rights), it said it's a 4.2, with the graphics being the bottleneck. My Desktop is a 5.5. It isn't strong enough to play Crysis in Hi-resolution but it will do nicely in low resolution. I only play Halo and occasionally, CoD.

My question is, do they make these machines (yet) to play games like Crysis or MW2 in hi-res?
 
Depends on whether or not you want low, medium , or high settings. The answer to the medium and high is No. For low, kind of:
Well, I sort of already knew this much, but thanks. I saw a YouTube video of a guy playing a game called "Son of Sam" (I think) with the settings on low resolution.

I guess if THIS is the best that touch screens can do for now, I'll have to wait, but wow, the potential is so awesome. I really want something the size of the HP TouchSmart 600 to be hardcore gaming quality. Again, it looks like something that can be easily turned into a TV that you can hook up to a cable box. The size of the screen is right. It's HD, and in 1080p if I'm not mistaken. Or if you have a small room and you want to hook it up to your PS3 or XBOX 360, I bet it'll work for that, too.
 
Well, I sort of already knew this much, but thanks. I saw a YouTube video of a guy playing a game called "Son of Sam" (I think) with the settings on low resolution.

I guess if THIS is the best that touch screens can do for now, I'll have to wait, but wow, the potential is so awesome. I really want something the size of the HP TouchSmart 600 to be hardcore gaming quality. Again, it looks like something that can be easily turned into a TV that you can hook up to a cable box. The size of the screen is right. It's HD, and in 1080p if I'm not mistaken. Or if you have a small room and you want to hook it up to your PS3 or XBOX 360, I bet it'll work for that, too.

He was probably playing Serious Sam.

The main issue is gonna price: Those touchscreens are generally using laptop GPUs. And those are pretty expensive as well as nowhere near some of their higher-end desktop brothers. In addition, not many people are getting these touchscreens for gaming. Anyone serious about gaming isn't gonna get one of those all in ones.
 
Back
Top