• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Touchscreen Monitors?

GT98

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Aug 29, 2001
Messages
1,278
Anyone have any experience with Touch Screen Monitors that are larger then 24 inches and are good/decent for gaming? With the introduction of Windows 8, and seeing it in action in the Windows Store the other night, I'm interested in a Touch Screen monitor to replace my current Dell 24in Monitor...
 
Its only useful if you're using the metro interface. I was going to opt for a touchscreen myself but decided to go with standard 27" instead.

Btw the cheap touchscreens aren't capable of 10 point tracking
 
Its only useful if you're using the metro interface. I was going to opt for a touchscreen myself but decided to go with standard 27" instead.

Btw the cheap touchscreens aren't capable of 10 point tracking

I understand that...not a big deal since I expect the amount of apps for Metro/Modern UI to increase as time goes on...

as for cheap....define cheap :) I was looking at a planar display that was 27in and listed for about $800 bucks or so.
 
Be prepared to spend.

The best option looks like the Planar Helium, a 27" 1920x1080 monitor with decent viewing angles, projected capacitive 10+ point touch, and VESA compatibility. It costs ~$700-800 USD. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1721498

There is a 23 inch Dell with projected capacitive 10+ point touch, decent viewing angles, and multiple connection options in the non-removable stand of the monitor. It costs ~$650 USD. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1722957

There are two options from Acer, a 24" and 27". Both have decent viewing angles, projected capacitive touch, and decent connectivity and ergonomic options. The 23" is ~$500, and the 27" is ~$700. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1717047

As far as I know, there have been no tests for response time or other gaming-related features.
 
Most of the older ones lack multitouch so your options are limited.
.
Personally I would not make the primary display a touchscreen. Why keep your arm up all that time? "Fingerpainting" at arm extension is not ergonomic at all. If I were going for it I would have a modest sized panel on an ergo arm at finger's reach in a horizontal/tilt orientation which would make it easy to use, and easy to swing away from me. I'd clone the main display onto that panel. It would be nice if there were an indicator of where your fingertips were shown on the screens though, similar to seeing your mouse pointer while using your mouse - so you wouldn't have to look down at the touchscreen.
 
Personally I would not make the primary display a touchscreen. Why keep your arm up all that time? "Fingerpainting" at arm extension is not ergonomic at all.

I wasn't planning on doing that... Windows 8 takes input from a Mouse and a touchscreen at the same time. The Touchscreen would be a secondary input device if was showing something off or doing like zooming into a map etc...

I'm already in the market for a new monitor one day and the Dell 27/30inch LCD I was looking at cost about the same as the Planar display already talked about...I'm curious to see whats out there before I decide which route I want to go.
 
Back
Top