Touchscreen -- Acer T232HL and T272HL

cvgd

Limp Gawd
It looks like display manufacturers are beginning to produce decent desktop touchscreens in anticipation of Windows 8. Acer's T232HL is the first I've seen. It's not available yet, but is listed as OOS on Amazon for $500.

NCIX Unboxing video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGQjfC6nzkg

Fancy Product Shots: http://retailer.acer.com/index.html?showDir=./Acer Product Photos/2012-HOL/Displays/T Series

Acer T272HL bmidz 27-Inch Touch Screen LCD Display ($680.40)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00966IW6I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Acer T232HL bmidz 23-Inch Touch Screen LCD Display (499.99)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00966IW72/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Specs:

Projected Capacitive Multitouch

This should allow for a decent touch experience, usually 10+ simultaneous touch points with decent accuracy. The touch interface almost certainly requires USB, and there is a USB3 hub built into the monitor.​

IPS Technology

Both the 27" and 23" use IPS, 1920x1080, LED backlit panels.​

Glass Overlay

Glossy fans should be happy, though with touch, durability is the main selling point. There is a plastic extension off the bottom of the monitor that looks bad to me, but if you look closely at the "Fancy Product Shots" linked above, it appears to be attached by a few screws.​

Stand

The monitor has a lever stand that is not height adjustable, but a allows a decent degree of decline. The stand is removable and the monitor is VESA mountable.​

Connectivity

The monitor does not have displayport. There is HDMI, DVI, and VGA; a USB3 hub, an Audio in port, and a power brick.​

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
the res makes me think it is really a touch screen tv and not a monitor.

Thanks for the info. These are 1080P monitors, pretty standard stuff on desktops these days.

They are clearly intended to be used with Windows 8, they don't have tuners, and they don't have remote controls. 1920x1080 monitors are commonplace. I'm not sure why you would think they were televisions, and what impact you think classifying them as such would have.

I've been looking for a decent touch screen for months now, to do development work. The alternatives to this monitor (as of 9/14/2012) are:

1. Extremely expensive -- more than double the price (3M, Eizo)
2. Have limited touch interfaces (Dell/Eizo, all the resistive overlays)
3. Have TN panels
4. Come with random computers attached (Lenovo A720)

I hope the Acer is just the tip of the iceberg -- I'm a little surprised that the hardware space appears to be lagging the sale of Windows 8.

These should be fun for a windows 8 desktop monitor... I might have to get this as a secondary monitor. Here's a windows 8 question though, can you leave the metro ui up on one monitor and the classic desktop on another?

Here's a windows 8 question though, can you leave the metro ui up on one monitor and the classic desktop on another?

Yes you can, I do that all the time on my dual screen Windows 8 setup. The main limitation is of course that can only be one Metro app running on one screen, you can have two or more Metro apps, which includes the Start Screen, running on multiple screens. I would think that this will be remedied in the future,

I bought one of these at newegg yesterday.

Received it today (I'm impatient.. what can i say?)

So far it has exceeded my expectations.

The touch response is excellent, Windows 8 UI gestures are effortless and fluid compared to the Dell ST2220T optical multitouch monitor I was using before.

I guess that's the difference you get from PCT touch tech vs optical.

The lack of a raised bezel makes a huge difference as well.

The only complaint I have at the moment is how easy it is to hit the power button when adjusting the angle of the display.

Thanks for the mini-review Andrmgic! Sounds awesome. I do want to setup a large touch screen Windows 8 workstation next year and will but this monitor on the top of my list.

One other complaint that I have is that despite the monitor having usb 3.0 ports, my 2.5" external usb 3.0 harddrive doesn't seem to get recognized when it is plugged in to the monitor.

It could be that my USB dac and Cellphone charging cable are using too much power for it to be able to drive the 2.5" hdd.. I'll have to try it with just the hdd later tonight and see if it has enough power to drive it.

Is it possible to remove the clear plastic piece from the bottom of the monitor? How does the build quality seem?

I don't mean this in a way to put down anyone who wants a touchscreen monitor, as there are certainly some valid reasons for wanting one, but for most people, wouldn't it be somewhat awful ergonomically after a while?

Do these touchscreens have wide tilt/swivel stands or something? I can't see how it's easier to reach across a desk to touch the screen, than simply use a mouse (or touchpad). I think I'd end up going to a chiropractor after a couple of weeks of using such a monitor.

If they had some sort of swivel to them, similar to those old G4 iLamp macs, it may be better, as you could swing the monitor forward when needed. It'd at least save your back/neck/arms from some strain.

For me, it's not something where I'm doing everything via touch. I sit pretty close to my monitor (within 12-18 inches), so it doesn't seem like much effort for me to reach up for a touch gesture or something similar to bring up an interface I need to access or do something specific. I'm not hovering over the touch screen with my hand extended for long periods of time.

Most of the time I still use the keyboard and the mouse, but touch feels better for a lot of actions in windows 8 specifically. Scrolling horizontally through an application's interface is one of those times that touch feels better to me.

It's simply another input option that is available and so far it feels pretty natural to mix in touching with using a keyboard and a mouse for things that require more precision.

Build quality of the main unit seems solid.. the support "leg" has a little creak and give to it, but it doesn't feel like the monitor is going to collapse or anything.

As far as I can tell, the plastic piece is not removable, but I haven't felt the need to take pieces off of my new toy yet :D

For me, it's not something where I'm doing everything via touch. I sit pretty close to my monitor (within 12-18 inches), so it doesn't seem like much effort for me to reach up for a touch gesture or something similar to bring up an interface I need to access or do something specific. I'm not hovering over the touch screen with my hand extended for long periods of time.

I wondered how close people are to their monitor to use touchscreens comfortably. I'm at least 2 feet, probably closer to 30", from my 24" screen. Optimal range is usually about 2 ft or so, and the larger the monitor, the further away most people sit.

For the 27"er, I wouldn't think anyone's eyeballs could take sitting 12" or so away, but I guess some people are okay with that. Perhaps the 23"er or Dell's 21.5" may actually be better, simply because you can sit closer without your eyeballs falling out.

Last edited:
I'm a developer, primarily web, and it is a lot easier to test touch ui with a monitor than a second device. I've been looking for a touch monitor that roughly replicates the tablet/phone experience for more than a year.

this is a great monitor! our first IPS monitor. I wish all our monitors were IPS.

we got it on sale at Amazon for $450.

Sorry to bump a three month old thread (but it's still a current monitor)

Note the 27 inch is actually a VA panel with 5ms response, only the 23 inch is IPS with slower response

Any chance in heck there will be linux and/or android support for the touchscreen?

Anyone have any comments on how these work with windows 7? Boxing day same has the t232hl for $199 and I have a GC of $70 and this caught my eye.
I looked about and people said it works, but never commented if its single touch or multiouch in windows 7

How do you remove the stand? There are no instructions and everytime I pry on this thing I feel like I'm about to crack the glass in half.

Thanks in advance,

Back