Totally stuck, volume keeps turning down, tried almost all new hardware and software.

mikel833

n00b
**update: The issue is resolved when ONLY running on battery (ac adapter unplugged).

Hey guys,

I have an HP Pavilion DV7 laptop... The volume slider keeps turning itself all the way down, even as I try to turn it up. Its been happening for a while now. I've tried:

1.) Completely removed everything attached to the MOBO, only the LCD, DC Jack, RAM and HDD. Issue still persists
2.) Same as above only added battery, and unplugged the ac adapter and ran off battery. Issue is resolved.
3.)Plug power back in the issue happens again.
I tried many combinations of removing and adding hardware components and they all have the same result.
4.) I update the drivers, then uninstalled and download new drivers. Installed the software and disabled the software. The issue persists
5.) Tried updating windows and then disabling the sound software along with HP Smart software. Issue persists.
6.) installed a new HDD and clean installed windows 7 with only the provided drivers. Issue persists
7.) Replaced the Sound/Smart Media Power panel. Issue Persists
8.) Changed the RAM. Issue persists.
9.) Disabled the sound devices in the "Sound" control panel. Issue Persists.
10.) Flash the BIOS, already has the newest revision so I re-flashed it. Issue Persists.
11.) Tried switching AC Adapters. issue persists
12.) Changed DC Jack & AC Charger.
Can't think of anything else it could be! Anyone have any ideas? thanks!

Last edited:
Try a different keyboard, maybe the "volume down" key is stuck on yours or something.

Forgot to add in the OP, that we tried unplugging the keyboard also.

**update: The issue is resolved when ONLY running on battery (ac adapter unplugged).

10-1 Your Ac Adapter is putting out dirty power, try another one. Since you replaced the motherboard that should eliminate a problem with the charging circuit.

Dirty power plays all sorts of unpredictable havoc on electronics.

I have a Galaxy S2 that the touch screen refuses to function with a certain AC adapter. Once its changed to a different one it works normally again. Once I took it apart and looked at its output It had a ton of AC ripple.

If you go into Sound or "Playback devices" and click on "Communications" tab, is "Do nothing" selected?

Tried the different modes also. No settings relating to audio within them either.

Screenshot clarification:

sound.png

If you're suggesting that no sound ever comes out of your laptop while it's on AC power, then I don't know, it might be an internal hardware issue.

I'm saying that the communications tab doesn't exist. Only the other three.

No, we get sound on all power modes, but it stops trying to raise itself to max when we unplug AC power.

Last edited:
Back