Total War: Warhammer

I've never played any of these games. Can I just jump into this one without playing any of the others?

I've never played any of these games. Can I just jump into this one without playing any of the others?

Sure can. I've not played Total War myself since a very early one. I think it was Total War: Rome. Game is very easy to pick up how to play. The hard part is figuring out all the best tactics to use against the different unit types, each faction has some very unique unit types. Which really makes it challenging and fun.

IMO this is probably the easiest TW to start getting into.

And yeah I'm not sure what happened to the exhaustive tutorials they usually have.

Yeah I watched the tutorial videos and was still like "WAT DO I DO?" afterwards. But there are some YouTube videos popping up from players that help fill in the gaps. Really learning not to try to build too quickly in the beginning is a BIG part of it. I'm used to an RTS style game where you just go all out but this game requires "long game" thinking and building massive armies too quickly = swift loss due to bankruptcy. Also keeping growth rates up, and effectively using your smaller settlements to provide income/growth is huge, as well as understanding public order. When you have no idea what you are doing you can literally destroy your game in the first 2-3 turns.

Yes, don't make too many armies at first, your cities simply can't support the upkeep cost till they are more developed with high level buildings and such. Respect Chaos at all times, they can hand you your head pretty quick if you're not careful. I have not ran into the Vampires much yet, they lack missile troops which is a major minus but have other things that make up for it. Liking being able to raise dead troops as skeletons and such.

93A049C1003E7F63E629CA1EA3663E501282D8EC

Here's a screen shot of my main province with the camera out a bit.

Total War: Warhammer is the fastest-selling Total War game ever :

It sold over half a million copies in the first few days on sale, developer Creative Assembly said.

That sales success has resulted in the game regularly topping 100,000 concurrent players on Steam, the developer added.

Total War: Warhammer is the fastest-selling Total War game ever

Looks like a lot of people are liking this game also! :)

The game is OK. Every new Total War game that comes out is even more dumbed down. I'm enjoying the game, and i'd even say it's the most bug free TW game ever at time of release.

The way Chaos plays is quite interesting. You never own any territory. Your hordes basically build structures within them. It's kind of cool how all the factions play differently.

I was wondering about that with Alitta that I could Destroy a Providence or Loot it but couldn't rebuild on it.

The game is OK. Every new Total War game that comes out is even more dumbed down. I'm enjoying the game, and i'd even say it's the most bug free TW game ever at time of release.

The way Chaos plays is quite interesting. You never own any territory. Your hordes basically build structures within them. It's kind of cool how all the factions play differently.

Eh, honestly I've enjoyed the progression they've made. Rome 2 was a bit odd at first, but I enjoyed it a ton. In Attila I felt like battles were much more enjoyable to fight for more casual players like me. This game seems to focus more on character development and upgrades, but I haven't played it yet. I would still prefer if they did a medieval 3, hopefully that's next year.

So the only thing I dislike about this game after about 15 hours of playtime is the agents. They need to be NERFED!!!!! Having 1 hero character go neuter my army by himself or ASSASSINATING a higher level lord or hero in my army is absolutely retarded.

So the only thing I dislike about this game after about 15 hours of playtime is the agents. They need to be NERFED!!!!! Having 1 hero character go neuter my army by himself or ASSASSINATING a higher level lord or hero in my army is absolutely retarded.

Alliances and trade will take care of your agent problem until you are ready to crush them.

Alliances and trade will take care of your agent problem until you are ready to crush them.
I've noticed that as well. I've had multiple Legendary Heroes get killed. Lucky you can get them back in 4 turns but it's very frustrating. Especially when you go to try it and the best chance you have with any hero is 30%. I was reading up on this though and it sounds like the Witch Hunter is best suited for assassination attempts. He also has abilities that you can put points into to improve your chances of success quite a bit.

I've noticed that as well. I've had multiple Legendary Heroes get killed. Lucky you can get them back in 4 turns but it's very frustrating. Especially when you go to try it and the best chance you have with any hero is 30%. I was reading up on this though and it sounds like the Witch Hunter is best suited for assassination attempts. He also has abilities that you can put points into to improve your chances of success quite a bit.

Honestly since I discovered alliances get rid of those annoying agents that's all I've been doing. Will try witch hunters though eventually.

Chaos on the other hand has been very troublesome... grrrr...

Honestly since I discovered alliances get rid of those annoying agents that's all I've been doing. Will try witch hunters though eventually.

Chaos on the other hand has been very troublesome... grrrr...
I didn't realize alliances got rid of them. I think it's because there's so many factions that someone always has some in your territory. I survived my first wave of Chaos, I did really well killing the Chaos heroes, not so well against killing all the units. Chaos is rough! Giants are damn tough, I got lucky with a steam tank on those a few times. Also a Dwarven ally saved my bacon a few times when they were attacking my capital city. Chaos seems gone now and I'm running into Skaven, some type of Norse faction, Greenskins. I have a feeling Chaos well be back though.

I'm playing dwarves too and I'm about 130 turns in and I can just see Chaos absolutely wrecking the Empire on my map and getting closer and closer, they have like 3 or 4 20 unit armies already and I have serious doubts that my game will end well.

Pretty neat Spartan VI. Dwarfs are the next faction I'd like to play after Empire.

Thanks. Dwarfs are awesome. They're not a huge departure from what we're used to in Total War, except for the gaping hole they have in maneuverability granted they have zero cavalry until Gyrocopters (if you consider that cavalry). I hope my icons help clear up some of the confusion I had with when teching up my buildings.

Thanks. Dwarfs are awesome. They're not a huge departure from what we're used to in Total War, except for the gaping hole they have in maneuverability granted they have zero cavalry until Gyrocopters (if you consider that cavalry). I hope my icons help clear up some of the confusion I had with when teching up my buildings.
Been playing dwarves since the start. I enjoyed Greenskins but I found the "fightiness" meter was annoying when trying to manage multiple armies. As dwarves I have a couple of armies that are spread out to prevent raiding but they arent always on the move fighting just for the purpose of fighting.

Anyone win a campaign yet? I'm about 155 turns in my Dwarf campaign and I'm #2 on the strength ranks behind the Vampire Counts who are currently still too far away from the Greenskin/Dwarf territories to do any harm. I have shut down a couple of Chaos attempts but they are getting pretty strong too running around the Empire area wrecking shit with 4 armies.

I won my first Dwarf campaign, captured all dwarven territories and killed off the greenskins, chaos, and vampires. Pretty much allied with everyone else. This was on normal difficulty, I'm having much more fun playing on hard with empire and vampire counts. In both campaigns chaos has come down from the north in strength, as empire I have to send everything I have to defend my northern boarders (I surrendered much of my northern territory during the initial envasion, defiantly wasn't prepared for it). I'm my vampire campaign chaos has completely destroyed the empire and now their turning their attention towards me.

As someone who invested hundreds as a tween in Games Workshop gear, (remember White Dwarf anyone??)....

I'd love to play this, but my first gen i5 certainly isn't up to the task.

MORE high res pics and impressions though please!

Tried my first game in easy, wtfbbq. Computer has full stacks of armies everywhere. I found the no Ai cheat mod and it fixed that issue. Feels like I am playing against a player now.

Playing dwarfs, where do I get flyers or some type of anti Calvary? I am getting hit hard by these green skins.

Also, I had a full stack army and undead hero comes up to it and kills the general. My whole stack does off? Wouldn't let me select a new general.

As someone who invested hundreds as a tween in Games Workshop gear, (remember White Dwarf anyone??)....

DX12 patch should fix that when it comes out. ;)

DX12 patch should fix that when it comes out. ;)

Sadly, Windows 10 and my P55 motherboard just don't mix. (There's a bunch of forum/reddit threads about it etc.)

It isn't even a matter of drivers, which don't exist obv.

The install crashes halfway through.... :(

Well since you tried Win 10 with your key, will you have access to Win 10 again at a later date? You might upgrade later on. ;)

So, I haven't played a Total War game in literally almost a decade and remember the UI and gameplay to be ridiculously cumbersome.

Now.....I am a total sucker for Warhammer. I've got like 15 of the novels.

What is your guy's two cents on whether I should buy this?

So, I haven't played a Total War game in literally almost a decade and remember the UI and gameplay to be ridiculously cumbersome.

This is the most approachable TW game to date, so it's a great entry point for new/inexperienced TW players. As a WH Fantasy fan, it's really a no-brainer for you.

It's by the far the best Warhammer game made to date. Although I have not gotten to really try multiplayer. It's also fun as hell. I read somewhere that they're planning two expansions and some DLCs that well give all 16 races as playable races. Which would rock. Not sure how accurate that is though. The differences in the different races really adds to the game and replay-ability.

Sadly, Windows 10 and my P55 motherboard just don't mix. (There's a bunch of forum/reddit threads about it etc.)

It isn't even a matter of drivers, which don't exist obv.

The install crashes halfway through.... :(

I had trouble with the install process hanging at 35%. After eliminating hardware one by one I found out it was my graphic card it was hanging on. When I replaced that with an older card it finally installed with no issues and when I put in back in after install then I had no much issues. Rather strange I thought.

I'll try to upload some more screen caps tonight after work. I think I took some of my Legendary Hero and such.

Tried my first game in easy, wtfbbq. Computer has full stacks of armies everywhere. I found the no Ai cheat mod and it fixed that issue. Feels like I am playing against a player now.

Playing dwarfs, where do I get flyers or some type of anti Calvary? I am getting hit hard by these green skins.

Also, I had a full stack army and undead hero comes up to it and kills the general. My whole stack does off? Wouldn't let me select a new general.

I have only seen that really with the Orcs, and that is do to their ability to Waaaaaaagh!. Apparently that is a thing in the regular Warhammer table top rules as well. I have not experienced many other races coming up with multiple 20 unit armies that often early in the game. But honestly I usually have at least 3 20 unit armies within the first 50 turns or so myself as Dwarf, so I am not sure why the computer wouldn't be able to do the same. Remember a lot of the other factions generally start with more territory than you do.

I have played as Dwarves and found one of the better strategies is to just take your first province and the small province directly to the North and hold those until you get some elite units. Stretching out too far too fast can hurt you with both grudges and too much territory to maintain.

Last edited:
Finally won a campaign as dwarves. Game took me a little over 25 hours to complete the short campaign victory. WHEW, it was rough. Might be taking a break for a bit before I go back in and try a harder empire. Dwarves were "easy" -- psht.

Finally won a campaign as dwarves. Game took me a little over 25 hours to complete the short campaign victory. WHEW, it was rough. Might be taking a break for a bit before I go back in and try a harder empire. Dwarves were "easy" -- psht.
NIce, I'm still going. The first Chaos wave got beat back though, now I'm fighting mostly the Viking like faction, forget their name and a Vampire faction just tried to get me to pass a peace treaty them. I turned them down so now they're pissed at me looks like. Fully expecting an invasion to follow.

NIce, I'm still going. The first Chaos wave got beat back though, now I'm fighting mostly the Viking like faction, forget their name and a Vampire faction just tried to get me to pass a peace treaty them. I turned them down so now they're pissed at me looks like. Fully expecting an invasion to follow.
I got really lucky, the northern realms ended up 100% dealing with Chaos before they ever even got CLOSE to dwarven/greenskin territory. They were pretty powerful at one point, too. I spent 50 fucking turns chasing down the remnants of the Skaven army in their territory facing attrition trying to catch mounted heroes that could move farther per turn. It ended up taking a coordinated effort of THREE armies and an Engineer hero that was able to "sabatoge" their army and slow it down by 50% so that I could actually catch them and kill them off for good. I wish they could have an AI surrender option. Chasing that army that had 4 units for all those turns pissed me off so bad, lol.

Back