• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Total letdown in ppd on 7970

Joined
Jun 25, 2001
Messages
677
I am building a new system, and got the video card before the rest of the parts. Like anyone else here, I swapped out the video card on my old system to test it out.

I went from a 480GTX -> HD 7970

My 480gtx gets 14-15k PPD

It seems as if the 7970 gets 6k PPD... that seems so totally out of whack that I don't know what to say. I read estimates from 40k-100k ppd... and I would have been happy with anything MORE than 15k...

Any advice? I am a little surprised and disappointed.
 
Need to add the beta flag, only the 8900 work unit will get top ppd on that card..... Watchffor a guide on this soon


Edit: tear they are in advmethod now, but core 15 is there as well, to get only core 17 beta is needed
 
In reality, the beta flag should only be used by those participating in the beta program.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that in order to participate in the beta program, there is a sign-up and acceptance procedure in place. It also means you agree to document and report any issues you may encounter when using these units.

However, many people (myself included) use the beta flag because it's the quickest, dirtiest way to get core 17 units exclusively right now. You can change your client to advanced, but as was pointed out already, you will also be put in the pool with core 15 units as well. So, no, until we are locked from using the beta flag, there's no reason for us non-beta participants not to use it.
 
Beta is an open flag now....however there is zero support for lost units, or issues / instability caused by running a beta unit if not on the beta team..... I dont know if "open flag" is a correct term.
 
As long as my work units are helping, then I don't mind using beta. I just don't want to be doing something selfish like getting more points for less useful folding or something of that nature.

I am getting 84710 PPD project 8900 on the 7970, so that makes me happy. Now I really want to use my server to fold with my gtx480 and gtx460 as a supplementary box, but that would make my room overheat =(
 
Now I really want to use my server to fold with my gtx480 and gtx460 as a supplementary box, but that would make my room overheat =(

Suck it up buttercup, that's what cold beer is for. Its so warm in my mancave that my l'il beer fridge is workin' overtime to keep the beverages cold - hafta defrost every 6 weeks, even in winter!
 
Much appreciated, that made a huge difference.

Is there any reason not to use the beta?

No. Turn it on. Leave it on. That 7970 is one of, if not THE, best performing cards right now considering price to ppd ratio.

Im steadily at about 98k ppd on mine.
 
That 7970 is one of, if not THE, best performing cards right now considering price to ppd ratio.

I wonder about that. I'd like to see what a GTX 770 makes in comparison. At around the same price (less if you compare the 770 to the 7970 GHz Edition) if the 770 can do around 95K to 100K, I'd be happy with a pair of those.

Of course, I'm a bit biased because I have a pair of 7970's and both are voltage locked and one has a really poor ASIC value. My initial observations are that they run a bit hotter and louder than my GTX 670's and my 670's are (in relative terms) overclocked much higher. Yes, my first 7970 is getting around 114K PPD on average, but my second 7970 I had to turn off. It's the one with the poor ASIC value that causes it to run hotter, louder and using slightly more power than the first. Once I put the 2 in the same box, the first card all of a sudden wouldn't run at the OC I had it stable at for a week straight, the second wants to run even hotter, and louder, and they force me to reduce their collective OC to a level where they struggle to make 98K each. I know a couple of my issues are specific to these cards and I'd probably have better success with different, more premium cards. But even given that NVidia GPUs need a CPU core each to feed them, like I said, if they can do 100K each, I'd consider taking a pair of those over these 7970's because at that point, PPD/$ is pretty much equal.
 
I wonder about that. I'd like to see what a GTX 770 makes in comparison. At around the same price (less if you compare the 770 to the 7970 GHz Edition) if the 770 can do around 95K to 100K, I'd be happy with a pair of those.

Of course, I'm a bit biased because I have a pair of 7970's and both are voltage locked and one has a really poor ASIC value. My initial observations are that they run a bit hotter and louder than my GTX 670's and my 670's are (in relative terms) overclocked much higher. Yes, my first 7970 is getting around 114K PPD on average, but my second 7970 I had to turn off. It's the one with the poor ASIC value that causes it to run hotter, louder and using slightly more power than the first. Once I put the 2 in the same box, the first card all of a sudden wouldn't run at the OC I had it stable at for a week straight, the second wants to run even hotter, and louder, and they force me to reduce their collective OC to a level where they struggle to make 98K each. I know a couple of my issues are specific to these cards and I'd probably have better success with different, more premium cards. But even given that NVidia GPUs need a CPU core each to feed them, like I said, if they can do 100K each, I'd consider taking a pair of those over these 7970's because at that point, PPD/$ is pretty much equal.


I believe AndyE has actually done most of the comparisons on all those cards already. He actually posted it in a thread a few days ago. Ill try to find it for you.

EDIT:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1767675 Thats the thread. He basically had this to say...

Welcome to team [H].

wrt to your question some quick comments based on my initial experience:
Highest performance: NVidia GTX Titan
Highest performance per $ over 3 years (with my energy prices): NVidia GTX 780
Highest performance per purchase $: AMD 7970

regards,
Andy

Although short and to the point, he actually has messed with most of, if not all of, the cards available atm. So I'd be inclined to trust what hes saying.
 
I know.. I read that too. My results beg to differ... of course, I chose the Gigabyte 7970 OC cards which are not GHz Editions which may be the root of my inability to get either of them to a high enough OC to actually produce 120K PPD. I have a feeling that GHz Editions are a bit more cherry picked and also have better (read: cherry picked) ASICs that allow them to go quite a bit higher on the core.

Andy's comparison is thorough but does not include GTX 770's. In fact, I am having a hard time finding anything about the PPD from 770's on the intertubes. Since the cost of a 770 is very close to (or even a few bucks less than) a 7970 GHz Edition, I'm curious as to whether the potential is the same. I may have to pick one up to do some testing of my own. That will have to wait a couple weeks as I'm currently messing with my own pair of new 780's right now.
 
I know.. I read that too. My results beg to differ... of course, I chose the Gigabyte 7970 OC cards which are not GHz Editions which may be the root of my inability to get either of them to a high enough OC to actually produce 120K PPD. I have a feeling that GHz Editions are a bit more cherry picked and also have better (read: cherry picked) ASICs that allow them to go quite a bit higher on the core.

Andy's comparison is thorough but does not include GTX 770's. In fact, I am having a hard time finding anything about the PPD from 770's on the intertubes. Since the cost of a 770 is very close to (or even a few bucks less than) a 7970 GHz Edition, I'm curious as to whether the potential is the same. I may have to pick one up to do some testing of my own. That will have to wait a couple weeks as I'm currently messing with my own pair of new 780's right now.

For folding, a 770 is a 680. You might be able to OC the 770 a little more than the 680 on average.

680's get 75-90 depending on how high you can OC and still finish 8900s.
 
Suck it up buttercup, that's what cold beer is for. Its so warm in my mancave that my l'il beer fridge is workin' overtime to keep the beverages cold - hafta defrost every 6 weeks, even in winter!

I can only get on the internet early in the morning and late at night, girl made me close the shack off from the rest of the house, 2 roaring box fans in here...it's warming up, gotta go
 
For folding, a 770 is a 680. You might be able to OC the 770 a little more than the 680 on average.

680's get 75-90 depending on how high you can OC and still finish 8900s.

I realize the 770 is just an updated version of the 680. I merely hypothesized that since my 670's are currently doing 84K each, that a 770 would be able to do better and possibly be in a position to compete with the value of the 7970.
 
Did anyone else just pick up a bunch of Core 15 work with beta flag on? My 4 cards have been running Core 17 for weeks now just fine the last units they returned each of them picked up a Core 15 WU. Odd.
 
Not core 15, but my 7970 picked up a core 16 this morning that it's still crunching on for a measly 6600 PPD. And yes, it had the beta flag set. I was curious about this too.
 
Not core 15, but my 7970 picked up a core 16 this morning that it's still crunching on for a measly 6600 PPD. And yes, it had the beta flag set. I was curious about this too.

Happens every now and then when there's a shortage of WUs. Sucks for PPD but research is research eh?
 
Happens every now and then when there's a shortage of WUs. Sucks for PPD but research is research eh?

True. And I shrugged it off at first because the logs say it had an issue contacting the assignment server for a couple hours last night (though I admit, I think the NIC on this motherboard is flaky... it's had other similar problems contacting the assignment server earlier this week).

EDIT: My 670's just recently finished their units and each picked up a core 15 unit. The 8900 well must be running dry. :eek:

EDIT #2: Apparently project 8901 is in the pipe... similar to project 8900. Dunno when it hits.
 
Last edited:
You're on the money Carbon, booting into Linux ( which can only get Core17) my GPUs just get;



Confirmed in foldingforums that 8900 is out of work :( 8901 has a project page going but no ETA on it.



Oh well, keep crunching anyway :cool:



Oh dear god I forgot how painful it is to do anything folding with Core_15 again. Literally anything graphical destroys my ability to do anything. Even this text is taking 1 1/2 seconds to finish showing after I'm typing it.

God I can't wait til this POS core just DIES already. All this time bitching about Nvidia's broke ass drivers eating up a full CPU core, at least it doesn't lag my video input this ridiculously bad. Not only that but the temps used to be lower on Core_15 compared to Core_17 and oddly the Core_15 P7624 WU's are pushing nearly 90 degrees and over 100% power draw when the Core_17 P7663/8900 never went above 85C and 88% Power Usage.

*sigh*


*crosses fingers these two crap WU's on an even crappier Core finish and load new WU's tomorrow on Core_17*
 
Oh dear god I forgot how painful it is to do anything folding with Core_15 again. Literally anything graphical destroys my ability to do anything. Even this text is taking 1 1/2 seconds to finish showing after I'm typing it.

God I can't wait til this POS core just DIES already. All this time bitching about Nvidia's broke ass drivers eating up a full CPU core, at least it doesn't lag my video input this ridiculously bad. Not only that but the temps used to be lower on Core_15 compared to Core_17 and oddly the Core_15 P7624 WU's are pushing nearly 90 degrees and over 100% power draw when the Core_17 P7663/8900 never went above 85C and 88% Power Usage.

*sigh*


*crosses fingers these two crap WU's on an even crappier Core finish and load new WU's tomorrow on Core_17*

Damn , picked one up myself last night lol. 5k ppd ftw....
 
And my dear old GTX560ti is getting 29K PPD with the 7624. :p
About equal with what it gets with a 8900.
 
The 3 GPUs I have running right now all seem to have picked up 8900's again. So, I dunno what the issue is with project 8900, but I'm glad to see them again.
 
The 3 GPUs I have running right now all seem to have picked up 8900's again. So, I dunno what the issue is with project 8900, but I'm glad to see them again.


Conspiracy theories abound. Thankfully sleeping it off I woke up to two beautiful 8900's. People think it was just the server running out of WU's (most likely), others tend to be skeptics (like me) and believe they are prepping the 8901 WU's soon to arrive as per the psummary page.

We believe...

1365788287701.png



Also check it out.

http://folding.typepad.com/news/2013/06/welcome-to-fahcore-17.html

Looks like BigAdv for GPU's is coming along nicely! So i can haz 250K PPD on my 660 nao!? :p
 
Yeah picked up an 8900 right after as well. I'd love to see more ppd for high end gpus just to offset the amount of power they take to run..
 
So what is the smart money for GPUs these days? 7970? GTX770?
 
So what is the smart money for GPUs these days? 7970? GTX770?

This is my 2 cents... feel free to take it with a grain of salt.

Per my observations, a regular 7970 will do about 95K out of the box. A 7970 GHz Edition, will do something like 105K out of the box. Properly overclocked, either has the potential to do 120K or more (I have a regular one able to do 114K and it's voltage locked and can't go higher than 1125MHz... if it were able to go as high as 1150MHz, it could probably do 120K PPD.) I find they run hotter than any of the Nvidia GPUs I have, though that may not be true of all 7970's. GHz Editions are probably the way to go since I believe they are far more cherry picked for higher clocks than regular 7970's. Can't go wrong with 7970's at any rate... probably the best bang for the buck at the moment.

The GTX780 is probably the better bet for the long run. A regular GTX780, clocked right, should be able to do 150K+. As an example, I have a pair of EVGA GTX780 Superclocked that each get 160K+ out of the box with no additional modification from me. Dollar for dollar, its value is almost on par with the 7970, but if/when Nvidia steps up and adds driver support for OpenCL, then that should also increase the output of Nvidia GPUs which is why it might be the better bet for the long run. Until that happens though, this is all just speculation.

If my estimations are correct, a GTX770 should be able to do around 100K+ properly clocked. However, it does sound as though it will do it at slightly more power consumption than a 7970 (if I have my numbers right, somewhere between 20 and 40 watts more per card). To be honest though, I haven't been able to find any definitive folding results on these.

The only other thing you have to consider is that if you run Nvidia cards using core 17, you should have a processor with at least one core free per GPU in order to feed them. For AMD based GPUs using core 17, this is not so.
 
Back
Top