Torrent shuts off http traffic?

c0ncept

n00b
Since I installed vista, I've noticed that whenever I start a bit torrent download in any client (uTorrent, Azureus, you name it), my browser will slow down to a total crawl or sometimes not even work at all, while other internet using applications work fine. AIM works fine, WoW will play lag-free with a green latency..

So apparently torrents interfere with my http traffic. Anyone have a clue as to what is causing this? As far as I know, when I had XP there seemed to be no problems.

It should also be noted that if I use the internet on any other computer in my network, internet works just fine with no lag. Just the one running the bit torrent application is affected.

I have a similiar problem, but I am using uTorrent, XP with a D-Link DGL-4500 router. Looking for a solution myself.

To the person who recommended not flooding the connection with a zillion connections.

How come I have the same issue when I limit it to 65 global connections? This doesn't make sense to me as I know my router can support at least 80 simultaneous connections(linksys wrt310n running dd-wrt). I've even enabled QoS and put HTTP traffic as higher priority than bittorrent.

If anyone has a solution I for one would be very interested I'm running vista 32 sp1. At one point I used to have no issue then suddenly a few months back this started happening. My connection is 15mbps down/2mbps up.

HTTP is very slow WoW has decent ping and low packetloss but HTTP and e-mail crawl.

Do things in approximately this order:

-Cap the upload speed in your torrent client to half of your maximum
-Update your network card drivers.
-Update your router firmware. Use third-party firmware like Tomato if your router supports it. (kind of optional but I like to make sure it's current before I start screwing with router settings)
-Enable QoS on your router and set torrents to low priority.
-Raise the connection limit on your router.
-Lower the TCP timeout time to 300-600 seconds on your router if it has the option.
-Turn off any DPI/SPI firewall stuff your router has. Use basic firewall rules only if you want a firewall.

Also make sure it's not just opening connections too quickly and getting throttled back by Windows.

I also have this problem with uTorrent, Windows XP, and a router running DDWRT. It's not caused by flooding all the connections because even when I turn the number of connections way down in uTorrent, it still affects HTTP traffic on the machine running uTorrent. I can verify the number of connections being made in the router on one of the DDWRT status pages. I tried most of the suggestions on the uTorrent forums regarding slow HTTP traffic but nothing seemed to help. Like the OP said, it doesn't affect the other computers surfing the net on the same internet connection so it has to be a local problem. I've tried a couple different versions of uTorrent, including the latest beta, but to no avail. The only theory I can come up with is that it's something wrong with Windows or possibly the McAfee software suite. BTW, uTorrent runs just fine on the other computer with Vista so it doesn't seem like a problem with the ISP then either. I'd like to do a reinstall of XP but that's not possible right now.

For some reason, I was able to get around the problem by switching to BitTyrant (azureus clone). I don't like the program as well as uTorrent so I would like to find a fix.

Very strange and frustrating problem :confused::mad:

If it doesn't affect other users, I'd guess it's opening a lot of connections and getting throttled back by Windows. Try patching your tcpip.sys

I'm where Sparks is except on a vista box and I haven't tried a new client yet... I hadn't given the tcp.sys patch a try yet because everything I read seemed to indicate it wasn't needed in vista. I guess this is what backups are for!

One thing I noticed after I shut down utorrent my upload and d/l seem to continue for quite a long time even though windows network connection isn't showing it I see the transfer in a third party side panel widget. Once that traffic dies down http functions normally.

lol I was coming back to post that url that strend posted.... turns out it was a nod32 update all along causing my problem I guess. I feel retarded don't know how I've been missing that all this time. Thank you for the people who managed to help me out hopefully op got his help too.

Just a FYI I had to do the second thing someone posted further down not just the instructions at the beginning. See below.

Quoted from http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=34527

Shunpike
Member Re: Slow browsing + NOD32 fixedI tried to exclude utorrent.exe too, but it doesn't work that well.

Try the "Protocol Filtering" thing in Nod32 (NOD32 > Advanced (or whatver sounds like expert mode) > Antivirus and spyware protection > Configure > Protocol Filtering) and go for "Applications marked as internet browsers and email clients" and NOT "Ports and applications marked as internet browsers and email clients"

I'm trying to figure out if this is better than just excluding utorrent from the applications filtered by NOD32.

Please note that it means that NOD32 will not look out for "threats" on some open ports on your machine, which is a possible drawback. I hope this helps.

Back