Tornado Owners: Do you need earplugs?

Spewn

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 5, 2001
Messages
3,459
I have this MONSTER delta 60mm fan that a friend gave me. He gave it to me because it's quite simply too loud to actually use. Well, I got ambitious and looked up the specs on delta's website. Apparently, it moves a good amount of air for a 60mm fan(I think 50 some cfm), but is 5dB QUIETER than a vantec tornado! How can you live with a fan that loud running *all the time*? I'd go nuts :/
 
my case sits in my closet with the door closed and cords coming out so its not a big deal. + when listening to music or gaming i wear sennheiser hd280pro closed headphones which block out even more sound.

im still looking for a good 1 fan controller that can handle the tornado though
 
headphones :p

Youll notice a common pattern that tornado owners wear headphones when they game. They also have fanbuses when they arnt gaming

WHICH SHOULD BE NEVER :p

Game on
(including in the morning before school/work, during school/work, after, and during your dreams)
 
My Thermaltake Volcano 7 is loud enough as is..I could never imagine adding a tornado into my case... like a vacuum im thinking :D
 
Originally posted by Spewn
How can you live with a fan that loud running *all the time*? I'd go nuts :/

simple answer : Super Flower Fan Master ( did wonders with my tornado ).
 
Originally posted by doh-nut
my case sits in my closet with the door closed ...

Doesn't that somewhat negate the benefits of using the Tornado in the first place? Or does you closet have some great ventilation?
 
Originally posted by Cardboard Hammer
Doesn't that somewhat negate the benefits of using the Tornado in the first place? Or does you closet have some great ventilation?

well its a walk in closet and does have its own vent so it doesn't get very hot in there. id prefer the bathroom but people didn't like that and it would suck if someone peed in an intake fan
 
Originally posted by doh-nut
im still looking for a good 1 fan controller that can handle the tornado though
have u tried the sunbeam? its pretty good

Originally posted by doh-nut
id prefer the bathroom but people didn't like that and it would suck if someone peed in an intake fan
LOL :eek: :) :D :p
 
Yeah, they're nice little fans, but you have to have a way to turn them down/off. I found that even turning them down to as low as they can go, they still sound much louder than a normal fan... I'd kill myself if I had to listen to that thing all day :p
 
Originally posted by doh-nut
id prefer the bathroom but people didn't like that and it would suck if someone peed in an intake fan

hey, instant watercooling!

i had two tornados (on a fanbus thank god) and i wore my plantronics audio .90's ALL THE FREAKING TIME. even when i was just sitting there. then the damn cheap things broke. (mic + right channel died completely) now i wear cheap headphones i got a while ago. and i started watercooling:D the loudest thing(s) in my computer are the two 40mm sunon fans i have in it.

now my brother has my 80mm tornado and my 92mm is sitting there unused.

the 60mm fans are higher pitched than the 80 and 92mm fans, which makes them harder to listen to while not raising the dB rating.
 
I've got a 92mm x 92mm Tornado that is a BEAST.. And yes, I rock it at full speed..

Of course I rock Bose Triports though..
 
i know im new here, but yeah


i have a 92 mm vantec tornado on my slk900 cooling my 1700+ (2.4 ghz with 38c stable) i have a 80 mm vantec tornado on the front of my case, (LANBOY not a super) and i have a smartfan 2 on the back just because the tornado is wide and it doesnt fit in between the slk900 and the back of the case.....i usually have them at full.......it is pretty loud, but its worth it, i mean i got 14,000 3d marks and i have a 9600 pro at 480/660 (iceberq 4)


so yeah, its bearable, but considering i have over 700 watts of audio power in my componant stereo system, i cant hear much but music :D
 
I have 3 tornado case fans, ive been told that my computer is taking off like an airplane before it is so loud. But i just crank up my speakers if i want to hear somthing else other then tornado mine move 105 cfm@ 68 Dba
 
No earplugs needed. I have 5 tornado's running in my computer with no fanbus. It really isn't loud. It just drowns out all other noises. I don't wear headphones either. I will probably switch fans anyway. 8 months running I think.
 
I like my Tornados and they don't bother me. I have an 80mm on the heatsink and a 92mm as an intake. They are loud but noises like that don't bother me. I rarely even notice the sound since it's constant and I automatically tune it out. They're great for lulling me to sleep at night also.

I only wear headphones at night because I don't feel like waking my 3 year old up by using the speakers.
 
My 92mm tornado isn't really THAT loud, considering I had ran near two years a TT smartfan, and the temp sensor fell off, so it ran at full speed all the time. My fan controller for the tornado sits at 1/4th idle, and I crank it up to 1/2 when under load. Cools it just fine, and is actually quieter than the TT.
 
Man it drove me nuts. Lasted like 10min in my computer. Now I am using the fans to make a hovercraft.
 
Back
Top