Tornado Before & After Using Google Street View

I have friends their now, as well as very close friends that were there when it struck. Every time I talk to them they still cannot believe how destroyed the place is, and they've been living in it for days now.

How come nobody has toured the disaster zone to assess the damage / light a fire under insurance carriers / help the needy? Where the hell is everybody?

some shocking photos in that flickr account. you don't respect the power of a tornado until you've seen it absolutely level an entire city. thoughts and prayers to those affected.

Ive survived hurricanes in Florida, luckily never any damage to this extent.

Just amazing the power behind Tornadoes. Hope they get help soon.

How come nobody has toured the disaster zone to assess the damage / light a fire under insurance carriers / help the needy? Where the hell is everybody?

Not sure about the insurance carriers, but as to helping people out, I just talked to one friend (a photographer for the Springfield News-Leader), and he said
"There is an overwhelming amount of people there giving help and support". I talked to him about possibly going out there to help out and he advised against it, as there seem to actually be TOO many people there trying to help out, and are getting in the way of search and rescue teams.

did we forget Andrew/Katrina already?

Ive survived hurricanes in Florida, luckily never any damage to this extent.

Just amazing the power behind Tornadoes. Hope they get help soon.

I went through Andrew in 1992, and this reminds me of that... only difference was we had warning...

ex
http://flecom.net/[h]/Hurricane_andrew_fema_2563.jpg

This is why you NEVER touch the funnel cloud. My condolences to those who were lost or injured.

Not sure about the insurance carriers, but as to helping people out, I just talked to one friend (a photographer for the Springfield News-Leader), and he said
"There is an overwhelming amount of people there giving help and support". I talked to him about possibly going out there to help out and he advised against it, as there seem to actually be TOO many people there trying to help out, and are getting in the way of search and rescue teams.

I didn't mean regular people, we always reach out to each other in times of need. :)

I meant the policy makers, politicians, the president, the actors in row boats. Where the hell are they?

But, as I said (and you pointed out), we have a lot of support from every day people and that helps a lot.

The area is on lock down. Red Cross along with the Guard is there.

No reason for civilians to be touring the area (that are not victims of the storm).

Remember, over 75% of Joplin has been destroyed.

And FLECOM, no one has forgotten anything, We have everything under control here in Missouri.

I didn't mean regular people, we always reach out to each other in times of need. :)

I meant the policy makers, politicians, the president, the actors in row boats. Where the hell are they?

But, as I said (and you pointed out), we have a lot of support from every day people and that helps a lot.

Actually from the sounds of it on the phone, the majority of people there helping were from organizations like the guard and redcross and such

That really sucks. I feel lucky it got dark and the system weakened before it got to where I live. More storms on the way though that are capable of doing more damage of that kind.

Man, I have no concept of what a tornado can do (earthquakes are "all" we get really), but geezus, trees weren't even standing any more, you'd think deep rooted ones would hold them down or something... yikes

Yo Steve, I'm really happy for you, I'ma Let you finish, but Barack Obama doesn't care about white people.

Obama is supposed to be there Sunday.

I can't imagine that type of devastation. I live in NE Kansas in the heart of tornado alley as well and through tomorrow night were in what the National Severe Storm Lab calls high risk for Tornadic Activity. Saturday night we had 3 very small EF0 tornadoes actually touch down here in Topeka. Fortunately only damage here was from hail as big as Baseballs. I got lucky, at my place we only got golfball size hail.

Were fairly used to the types of Storms around here but the last few have been scary as hell. I'm the type that never goes to a storm shelter, I always go outside to keep watch. That storm Sat night actually had me nervous as just outside my house was a huge funnel cloud. Fortunately it only came down about 2/3 of the way from the clouds to the ground and did not touch down.

My heart and prayers go out to the people in Joplin, Louisianna, Alabama and all the othe rplaces that have been getting hammered.

Certain states handle disasters pretty well. Missouri does a good job with emergency response with storms from what I've seen. That is sheer destruction out there. Good luck to those out there.

And yeah, as a Florida Boy, give me a freaking hurricane over a tornado any day. (although Jeanne in 2004 spawned a tornado over my house)

That pic almost made me s&%^ myself.
Feel bad for them. Ive been through alot of hurricanes (cat1-4)
but thats nothing compaired to a tornado.

What sort of insurance premiums do they have out there? I mean if you live along the coast you pay an arm and a leg for flood insurance, if you live in earthquake country you pay two arms and two legs for earthquake insurance (considering a big one hits every 80 or so years). A tornado? Need wind insurance? act of god insurance? tornado insurance?

The pictures are just unreal. Let's divert some of the Billion Dollars we are giving Pakistan and give it to the townsfolk.

What has changed to make the storms like this?

Is next year going to be even worse?

Time to change the shape of houses to something that can take 200 mph winds.

Actually... I work with A certain Govt agency that deals with this sort of thing as an IT Technician... I can tell you that we are here in full force in AL and the other areas like OK that got hit today will be declared disasters and will have the support they need very quickly.

If it wasn't for the picture if someone had told me the devastation was that bad I wouldn't have believed it...

I'll give what I can to the local red cross chapter, just like with all the crazy things that have been happening lately.

What sort of insurance premiums do they have out there? I mean if you live along the coast you pay an arm and a leg for flood insurance, if you live in earthquake country you pay two arms and two legs for earthquake insurance (considering a big one hits every 80 or so years). A tornado? Need wind insurance? act of god insurance? tornado insurance?

Not really. It's not like a hurricane where large area's are affected. Tornado's are very localized and generally don't last for long. Most never hit anything but forests or farmland. What really makes them so deadly is instead of days of warning you're lucky to get more than 5-10 min to get someplace relatively safe. It's just seems like this year there have been lots of big ones and they have been staying on the ground unusually long and going through heavily populated areas; which isn't common. Usually, on average, there's 1 EF5 a year. So far this spring there have been at least 3 or 4 and there's still plenty of time and the proper conditions to get more.

It actually has something to do with either an unusual la'nina or El'Nino; which are cyclical and fairly predictable. I don't remember which. They were actually predicting lots of rain and nasty weather this spring for the midwest as early as late last year.

Seeing those pictures bring back bad memories of all the hurricanes I have been through here in Pensacola Beach FL. IVAN, DENIS, KATRINA and on and on.

This reminds me of the may 3rd 1999 tornado that came through OKC where I live. Just on the other side of the street, just a few hundred yards that thing went through and bulldozed everything. My neighborhood was standing, but across the street was just... gone. The destruction these tornadoes dole out is unreal. What hit me the most looking through these pictures was the trees. If you look at that street view pic and compare, there were a lot of trees before... now they're just gone. I couldn't imagine my house just being fucking gone and everything around it gone. How do you even start to rebuild? Crazy.

Good to hear Obama is going to Joplin in a few days. That's about the same time schedule that George W. Bush followed after Greensburg, KS got wiped off the map by an EF5 in 2007 (along with the KS governor and several others at the same time). That gives time for the first responders to do their job and for some initial clean-up to occur before the "three ring circus" comes to town. I think it is an important symbolic gesture for the president to be there and it's a good thing for the people of the town, but it's best to wait a few days.

[RIP]Zeus;1037296511 said:
The area is on lock down. Red Cross along with the Guard is there.

No reason for civilians to be touring the area (that are not victims of the storm).

Remember, over 75% of Joplin has been destroyed.

And FLECOM, no one has forgotten anything, We have everything under control here in Missouri.

Always interesting to see how different regions of the same country respond and react to natural disasters.. Missouri, Kansas, North Dakota, Iowa, Tennesee they have horrid tornadoes, flooding etc they dont whine for help and they dont loot themselves dry but elsewhere...

Its to bad these people do not get the same support from the feds as some of the others who end up greatly abusing it in general.. imo

I've got a friend over in Joplin MO and he's ok and his family, though his Dad and Nana have lost their homes completely, though they have their health luckily.

Looking at all the photos its crazy, i can't imagine seeing it with my own eyes. a path 6 miles long and almsot a mile wide just flattened..

I'm very thankful that us in the UK have no idea what a tornado is really, we just get boring weather.

Surreal.
Joplin_Tornado_26.jpeg

Back