• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Torn between laptop or desktop as primary PC

Which PC platform should I take to work with me.

  • Laptop for work/personal

    Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Desktop for work/personal

    Votes: 5 71.4%

  • Total voters
    7

FerraraZ

Gawd
Joined
Feb 4, 2010
Messages
578
I recently got a sweet job in central PA so I'll be relocating from east PA. I had a desktop until my CPU and mobo fried so rather than put money into replacing those parts I gave thought to maybe getting a desktop replacement laptop in case if work has me traveling I can bring something along. The only variable that is a problem is that I do like to game so a desktop was always ideal but it seems like laptop performance isnt lagging behind as bad as I thought. I just wanted people's opinions, I've been looking at an Alienware M15x or something equivalent of power.
 
I'd argue for a smaller laptop, like a decent CULV or Arrandale UM CPU, and a powerful desktop.

I have a m11x (which I do not recommend, btw) and my one of my sigrigs acting as my setup.

I use my m11x as my primary, and my desktop for when I need some extra power to applications.
 
I am currently putting together a SFF desktop that will fit in my laptop backpack. Only problem is the monitor as everything else fits. Would have to put LCD screen in luggage I guess. A possibility is to get a netbook for road and desktop for house. Best answer would to find out how much travel is involved and make a more informed decision.
 
I've found that for the price of a good laptop that fills all your needs, you can get both a smaller, much lighter, longer battery life laptop for word processing, email, powerpoint, excel etc, and a decent desktop that is much faster than a far more expensive laptop with a pleasantly sized size LCD monitor or you can hook it up to your TV. The price range to make this work starts at around 1200$ though, with a sweet spot at 1500$.
 
Back
Top