Top Three Most Over-Rated Games... In Your Opinion

I don't understand how games like CS, Diablo 2, & Starcraft can be considered overrated. They were all HUGE pioneers in their respective genres.

I don't understand how games like CS, Diablo 2, & Starcraft can be considered overrated. They were all HUGE pioneers in their respective genres.

Well the only one I consider over rated out of that bunch is Counterstrike. I'm not denying it's impact on the gaming world. Without it we wouldn't have all the modern warfare shooters. Until it came along first person shooters were mostly science fiction based. Though as a game I think it is over rated and the reason for it's popularity eludes me.

I will second WoW being overrated - but not vanilla WoW, that was awsome.

All kinds of modern shooters in which gameplay devolves into twitch shooting devoid of tactics, and any kind of progression is made trough unlocking achievements, levels/rank, that kinda shit - its addictive and a bad trend for gaming in general imo.
The only game of this type I liked was BF2, it has awsome and diverse gameplay.

Batman Arkham Asylum - it looked cool, but I couldnt get past the first couple of hours due to lack of feeling engaged in a entertaining activity.

Oblivion/Fallout3/NV - The games are cool, and I get that more resources have gone into making the content rather than improving graphics, but improving animations alone would make the visuals 2x as awsome.

Stupid unoptimized shit like GTA 4. Good game you say? Well then let me play it without exhausting myself for 8 hours trying to fix that mess.

I never really saw WoW as overrated anywhere before. Reviews are usually between 8-9 and it gets plenty of hate on the forums, it's just popular.

Overrated games for me are

1. Halo
2. Bioshock
3. Can't think of a 3rd since I actually don't play a whole lot of games. Plus I'm pretty lenient on how "hyped" some of them were.

I will second WoW being overrated - but not vanilla WoW, that was awsome.

All kinds of modern shooters in which gameplay devolves into twitch shooting devoid of tactics, and any kind of progression is made trough unlocking achievements, levels/rank, that kinda shit - its addictive and a bad trend for gaming in general imo.
The only game of this type I liked was BF2, it has awsome and diverse gameplay.

Batman Arkham Asylum - it looked cool, but I couldnt get past the first couple of hours due to lack of feeling engaged in a entertaining activity.

Oblivion/Fallout3/NV - The games are cool, and I get that more resources have gone into making the content rather than improving graphics, but improving animations alone would make the visuals 2x as awsome.

Stupid unoptimized shit like GTA 4. Good game you say? Well then let me play it without exhausting myself for 8 hours trying to fix that mess.

I wouldn't say that Unreal Tournament is devoid of tactics and it's about as much of a twitch shooter as you can get. I'm far better at the twitch games than I am anything with tactics. Playing Call of Duty I've found that it's somewhere in between twitch shooters and something more tactical. It's a bit closer to the twitch games, but it's not a pure twitch shooter either. No doubt the Battlefield games are more tactically oriented than the Call of Duty games are. There is nothing wrong with that and I'm fond of it myself. However I do love my run and gun games. Oh how I miss good UT games.

As for Batman Arkham Asylum, I don't know how anyone who is a fan of Batman could dislike it. The game is so awesome in every sense of the word.

WoW
Halos
Starcraft 2

As for Batman Arkham Asylum, I don't know how anyone who is a fan of Batman could dislike it. The game is so awesome in every sense of the word.

Indeed

not a single mention of crysis

yet, if you say you liked it, everyone in the room screams tech demo and talks about how overrated the game was!

odd :)

my top 3 changed after i typed them out - it was full of sandbox games

but i realize that just because i dont like a genre doesnt mean its overrated, it just means i dont like it - my own personal opinion should only count if i love the genre and have sampled what it has to offer and still feel the game isnt worth its rating

im a fps guy - so after playing 20+ fps games i feel i can call an overrated one or two

so gone is my hate of stalker and fallout...

id say the most overrated games ive played are halo 2 and odst - when i originally played through halo 1 i though it was the best game ever... my cousin and i played it so hard for hours a day every day until we beat it - then we did it all over again on legendary!

then the second one came out and it was like... wow, im playing this, but its ... crap - the whole game felt like crap, right up to one level that was cool - then it went right back to being crap...

felt the same way about odst, got great scores - i bought it and ... it just felt ... bad

i cant really think of any other shooter ive played that got rave reviews but wasnt worth them - most of them, from borderlands to fear to doom 3 to etc

ive enjoyed and id say as a general rule, the reviews have been spot on or at least in the ballpark

again if you love racers and you feel one is overrated then thats fair... but if you hate them, how can you tell if its not deserving of its praise?

----

edit

anyone who says hl2 or batman was overrated... dude, let that go - that's just you ;)

i kinda feel the same way about the bioshock haters, yea 2 was a little too much of the same... but bioshock the original? come on really...

1) WoW
2) Final Fantasy anything, especially XI and the new XIV
3) Starcrap 2

I liked it, there are like 4 of us that did. If multiplayer hadn't been such crap it would have been better recieved.

I liked the first part of Crysis. Once the alien stuff started it got pretty lame. The gameplay mechanics changed and the game felt seriously rushed. Warhead was better, but in some ways it took a slight step backward. In any case I don't think Crysis was ever over rated. It was pretty well disliked from the start. Many people only bought it just for the visuals and to see how their systems handled it. It was treated more like a tech demo than anything.

2. Final Fantasy 7 - Hyped to the point that when I did play it and found out that it was just more JRPG repetition with prettier graphics I just simply didn't care. Also, overrated story.

This made my day, I've loved RPGs forever, but FF7 was just the must overhyped piece of junk.

1. FF7
... Others are much harder for me to come up with... maybe...
2. CoD after the first or so
3. Diablo 2 - its like wow with less... the first playthrough is fun. (although I had a bit fun with both WoW and D2, neither is particularly addicting.)

1. Anything post COD4 in that series.
2. GTA once IV hit. That game was pretty bad.
3. Bioshock

It's so hard not to put these two in so...Halo and Gears of War. Zzzzzzzz.

Halo - the only reason I can imagine that was at all popular is because there wasn't anything else worth a damn on consoles, man it's horrible.

Quake 3 (actually all id games after Doom II) - UT99 shit all over this game.

Mass Effect - Tried playing it for a couple hours. Tried it again at a later date. Couldn't do it, it's garbage. I think this may be partially to do with the 3rd person view - so f-ing "consoley".

I could list a boatload more, but the OP only asked for three.

I feel like this Thread would be much more interesting if everyone also posted their top 3 games they have played in the last 2 years. Just to get an idea for your personal preferences.

COD: I like it, but in moderation. Way overrated and over talked about. Use a different engine next time, and it might feel more original.
TF2: TFC was great, but not this. Looks and plays like something from Fisher Price; I'd be so bold as to say it's meant for the same demographics as well.
L4D/L4D2: Again, a seemingly *kids* version of the original - this being (at the very least) based off the earlier released game Killing Floor. I see this more as a marketing project than an actual video game, and was eaten up not once, but twice by gamers everywhere.

1. Anything with Call of Duty in the title.
2. Anything with Halo in the title.
3. ... everything else is fairly reviewed.

1. Call of Duty (anything after COD 2)
2. Halo
3. WoW

this list could go on.... GTA, ugh, i've had friends living the WoW game for years.. have missed out on so many great gaming experiences just because they spend X hours a day grinding to level up on WoW... i don't get it.lol.

Is bioshock not that great? I've wanted to check both of them out, but haven't brought myself to it yet, knowing the makers of it were also the ones who made system shock 2 (one of my all time favs) my expectations are set high for it.. but don't want to be let down..

1: Myst... horrible, horrible game. I don't know how this was the greatest selling game of all time before the sims
2: CoD.. never could get into them at all just don't understand what exactly makes them so friggen popular
3: Halo.. FPS do not belong on consoles and everyone that thinks Halo practically invented the FPS is brain dead

Per the suggestion for likes, my top three games of the past two years:
1: Borderlands.. most time I've invested in a non-mmo in 10+ years
2: Fallout 3.. I played the hell out of this even with all the bugs
3: Saints Row 2.. yup buggy as hell, shitty graphics, but co-op was just pure fun and something the rockstar games are lacking

1: Myst... horrible, horrible game. I don't know how this was the greatest selling game of all time before the sims
Did you play it in 1993 or in 2010 ... huge difference in perception.

I played it in 95 or 96 and it was an incredible experience.

1. CoD (After CoD 2).
2. Bayanetta.
3. Minecraft - I know, I know it's the cool geek cred game of the moment, but seriously....

Bioshock - a very watered down shallow ss2 for consoles on a shitty-plastic looking unreal engine.
Moderen Warfare - it's the same COD from 2003 with different textures and shit.
shadow of the Colossus\Ico - shallow shit with boring traveling and grany graphics. without impressive art style, no impressive gameplay, grainy graphics and lots of traveling that ruin any atmosphere it might have.

An entire thread dedicated to over-rated games and not a single mention of...

Daikatana?

Son, I am so dissapoint.

Also... Final Fantasy 7

Give me Final Fantasy 6 (not 3 you uncultured swine!)

Lastly... a 3 way tie between COD:MW2 : WAW and BFBC2

But since :WAW was a treyarch game so it never really had a chance... :MW2 had was a complete fail of a game on PC... bought BC2... played it for a week or so... haven't touched it since.

1) Half life (it's a good game but it's overrated and it spawned a whole genre of "realistic" fps games where npcs have to yap all the time plus CS came out of it and killed scifi shooters)

2) All COD games. Virtual whack-a-mole.

3) WoW. actually I'm not sure that this is overrated. everyone hates this game including people who play it

Starcraft (I/II)
Diablo (I/II)
World of Warcraft

If you said I wasn't a blizzard fan, you'd have a good point.

These are personal opinion, so take it for what it's worth.
1.) Dragon Age: Orgins --- Can't stand fantasy settings for some reason.
2.) Starcraft(1&2) -- Not bad games, but just don't see why it's gotten so popular
3.) World of Warcraft(all MMOs actually) --Don't see the fun in grinding for however long just to get to some actual content.

1. World of Warcraft
images

I played the game, I got the addiction, then one day I realized that they were just going to keep moving the goalposts back and recoloring the same mobs forever while I repeatedly killed those mobs to make some numbers move up and down in a database. I've played other MMOs since then and realized they all more or less do the same thing without much variety.

I have quite a few friends who are still into WoW (their first and only MMO) that try to evangelize me into their addiction. "Everything is so much different now". Really? Looks like you're still organizing raids and killing the same mobs to me. "But there's more strategy to it". If strategy is a selling point, I can think of a lot of games that do strategy better. Even checkers. "Well it's about doing stuff with people". It is? All right, let's go rafting next weekend. "Can't; guild is doing a Lich King run".

Also, it created the whiniest community imaginable.

2. Final Fantasy 7
images

Mediocre game, terrible fans. Started the current long-standing mainstream JRPG rut of "androgynous angsty teen fights the big evil power in a quest to see who can make the most linear and grindalicious story and gameplay".
Also some the most delusional fans since Sonic the Hedgehog:

3. Halo
images

Thorough level design and hardcore gameplay took a huge blow with the popularization of regenerating shields. I'm no masochist and I don't like games to be "Nintendo hard", but this concept was born out of sheer laziness.

Things getting too hairy? Just hide a while. Now we've eliminated a time-consuming step that might have held up the release of a video game! No more need to thoroughly play test levels. Just make sure it's sort of bug free and you're good to go.

Back