Top MKV players

MPC-HC with the MPC Video Decoder or CoreAVC, plus AC3Filter. 10 minutes to setup, and great quality.

Serious question...is coreAVC with any reasonable system (past year so) even remotely needed? I ditched mine since even the most modest HTPC mobo with integrated graphics burns through Avatar like fire through a dry forest on a windy day.
 
Serious question...is coreAVC with any reasonable system (past year so) even remotely needed? I ditched mine since even the most modest HTPC mobo with integrated graphics burns through Avatar like fire through a dry forest on a windy day.

There's still plenty of lower end systems that cant. Think Atoms or low power systems that have CUDA support. Anyhow, I still think Core handles interlaced bitstreams better than LAV at the moment.
 
The need to spend money on coreAVC has passed. MPC-HC already offloads to your video card without any additional codecs. It supports DXVA with any supporting card. Playing my highest bit rate 1080p H.264 files only uses between 1% and 3% of my CPU with MPC-HC.
 
I wish I could get it to work too! I have tried to reinstall it and same results. Did you have to install any other programs when you installed MPC-HC, did you get the Directx end user runtime message?
 
I rip everything to MKV. I run MPC-HC on all four of my systems and it works flawlessly. I do have the DX runtime installed on all of them. But I don't have FFdshow, Haali, AC3filter, or any codec packs installed as they're not needed.

Unless you really want the preview thumbnail in explorer.
 
I wish I could get it to work too! I have tried to reinstall it and same results. Did you have to install any other programs when you installed MPC-HC, did you get the Directx end user runtime message?

What version are you running?

I did get that message ages ago. Then I installed the DX runtime and never again.

If mpc-HC is your default player for video files, and you are running a current version and have checkmarked:

View->options->Playback->Fullscreen->"Launch files in full screen"

I see no reason it shouldn't immediately launch videos at full screen. It has never failed to do this for me.
 
Serious question...is coreAVC with any reasonable system (past year so) even remotely needed? I ditched mine since even the most modest HTPC mobo with integrated graphics burns through Avatar like fire through a dry forest on a windy day.

Not really, which is why I use the MPC Video Decoder.
 
I'm using the most current version of MPC-HC and reinstalled the software. I checked the box to launch the files in fullscreen and went through all the options multiple times. For some reason when I open a mkv the windows taskbar is still there. I then have to select the vew, options and click fullscreen to make the taskbar dissappear. I know this may sound really simple but for that reason alone I like VLC better. If this is not how MPC-HC is suppose to work, please tell me what the problem could be.
 
What is the specific version number? The main page for MPC-HC is out of date.

Also when installing there is a checkbox to "reset settings", I would do that to make sure you haven't changed something, that is causing your wonky behavior.
 
I always use Windows Medica Player Classic that comes with the CCCP pack.

Its not as bloated as windows media player.
 
I checked the box to lauch the files in fullscreen. I don't know why its not working, that sucks.

Sounds like write-permission issue with the configuration file. Does MPC-HC have a configuration file in Program Files or in AppData? If so, see if you have write permission to those folders and/or configuration file. Sounds like it's not saving your setting.
 
windows media center. Media Browser plugin in for movie management and eyecandy. MPC-HC as an external player for media browser. All seamless via a remote. No other codecs needed. Unless....you want HD audio. Then I also had to install and configure FFDshow.

My HTPC plays everything including bitstreaming DTS-MA HD/Dolby TrueHD. All from Windows Media Center.
 
Back
Top