Top 10 Tech Towns

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wired has made a list of the Top 10 Tech Towns and Seattle tops the list. Other cities that made the list are Orlando, Los Angeles and Austin.

AUSTIN: Inspiration for Slacker, epicenter of the first EFF battle, home to Dell, Whole Foods, and South by Southwest. Not to mention host to the most dorkbot attendees in the country. Only downside: It's surrounded by Texas.

They definately are not from Texas. It is funny, everyone outside doesn't like what's in (except austin). However everyone from Texas loves the state.

Ask a business that wants to hire an MBA from UT the hardest part of hiring them.
The will want to come back to Texas within 3 years. So there is something good there ;) though the so-called tech heads from wired (sorry is that an oxymoron?) are not in love with the state. Its all good though.

Top 10 U.S. Tech Towns. I wonder how far down the list Seattle would be if it were a worldwide list...

I guess I'm just jealous my home state won't be on that list anytime soon. :p

Top 10 U.S. Tech Towns. I wonder how far down the list Seattle would be if it were a worldwide list...

I guess I'm just jealous my home state won't be on that list anytime soon. :p

me too.

Im betting Vancouver BC would make the list if Canadian cities were put on the list... eh :D

Im betting Vancouver BC would make the list if Canadian cities were put on the list... eh :D

SF Bay Area? I hate how Santa Clara County gets lumped into SF instead of SJ. But then again, they did state Bay Area. BA FTW!!!

-E

I like Pittsburgh.. the City anyway.. being here I don't have much of a choice.. I've been other places, but I still like it here... There are some very nice areas around here to live, but the traffic going to Pittsburgh is all screwy, the system was not made for the amount of cars we have now on the road..

as for the technical part of it all, there is a lot going on in that respect, when the steel boom died they tore down the mills and the techies moved in and built on that land, some really cool buildings actually around here...

I know Seagate is here, along with Google and others that I can't think of off the top of my head right now...

overall it's not that bad of a place to live, a bit on the boring side at times, but where isn't? and there is really no night life in downtown Pittsburgh, that's one of the major downfalls, they've tried for years, even decades to get some nightlife in town but it just won't take...

oh well..

I can't believe Pittsburgh made the list. I live about 45 minutes from the city and it sucks something fierce. I mean we have Google on the Carnegie Mellon campus, but that's about it. As for real life things, there is absolutely nothing good about the area around Pittsburgh. Very boring. Only 8 more months until I can go off to college and leave this place. But the good news is I might go to UT, located in another top 10 tech town.

I don't understand how Circuit City stores and Comic book stores has anything to do with a "tech" town.....

I don't understand how Circuit City stores and Comic book stores has anything to do with a "tech" town.....

Nerds are the life blood of tech towns. Comic books and Circuit City (Best Buy) are life blood to the nerds? :D

Nerds are the life blood of tech towns. Comic books and Circuit City (Best Buy) are life blood to the nerds? :D

What about the general populace of computer stores? How about the ecommerce annual revenue per state/city? How about the availibility of EVDO, WiFi, and other high speed communication meduims?

I just don't see how comic books has any relation to technical savy towns of the United States.

My city is not on the list... but it is extremely connected. We have the largest cell user percentage (over 75%) and every other tech resource imaginable.

If this is the case with a non listed city, I suppose the listed ones are even better.

Back