Too slow of a router? Upgrading to fiber optics...

Compuwiz

Limp Gawd
When using BitTorrent my upload speed is set to 30kbps and the download is about the same as well. I cannot visit any pages when it is going that fast due to lack of bandwith, and the other computers on my network have really slow speed as well.

However, I will be upgrading to Verizon's FIOS (Fiber Optic) network soon, with 15Mb down, 2Mb upload. I know it is not guarenteed at that speed, but my question is...do I need a better router? I am using Linksys WRT54G, and if it is slow on my Comcast cable 4Mb down, 512k up...would I see the same problem on my new fiber connection?

I know gigabit routers/switches are "pointless" because computer components cant even keep up with that connection, so I dont see any benefit of getting one of those. Two computers are currently wireless 54Mbps, and the hardwired laptop is slow as well.

When I upgrade to my fiber, if I utilize "only" 1 of the 2 allocated Mbps for upload, will my network still be slow, or what?

Thanks.

I would look at getting a standalone box with Monowall for your router. It's the cheapest thing to do and will support the 15MB/s down, unlike most Linksys models who limit you to 10MB/s.

Fat Ninja Edit: And with 1MB Up (other 1mb is for bitT) you shouldn't have any slow downs.

The slowness you're experiencing is not an issue of bandwidth, but of a router which can't take the strain of the many connections per second BT creates. Even lesser routers tend to hang or crash completely in a similar situation.

A DIY router as DragonNOA1 describes would most certainly be able to handle the strain. Even a simple 486- or P1-based system with a single floppy-based Linux router distro such as Coyote would be more than enough.

Are there directions someplace of how to make your own router? I highly doubt there is a way I can make a wireless router based off my one wireless card. Would I have to make a computer router hard wired into the wireless router (which would be turned off for routing and just act as a switch) and that will work? I just ordered parts for a new machine last night, so it would be fun to make such a thing.

The problem is that is his upload is saturated. It's not a router issue. I am running a m0n0wall and the same thing happens to me if I dont set my bit torrent clients upload max to under my connection's upload speed.

For every transaction on the download, there has to be a response on the upload. Part of the TCP/IP protocol. When your upload is saturated, the response cant be sent and you get this slowdown you are talking about.

Lower your max upload on the bit torrent client.

other than "just because"

getting fiber for 1 or 2 mbps is fucking retarded.

Met-AL said:
The problem is that is his upload is saturated. It's not a router issue. I am running a m0n0wall and the same thing happens to me if I dont set my bit torrent clients upload max to under my connection's upload speed.

For every transaction on the download, there has to be a response on the upload. Part of the TCP/IP protocol. When your upload is saturated, the response cant be sent and you get this slowdown you are talking about.

Lower your max upload on the bit torrent client.

I know my upload is being saturated, I stated that in my first post. And I also know how everything works fine when I lower my upload speed. My question is, when I upgrade to Verizon FIOS with 2Mbps upload, I want to take advantage of that--so when I do increase my upload, will I still be affected then? If so, how do I go about relieving this problem.

Kaos said:
other than "just because"

getting fiber for 1 or 2 mbps is fucking retarded.

Im not getting fiber just for 1 or 2 mpbs. I am getting the Verizon bundle package with phone and internet bundled, so instead of paying 160 or so per month for unlimited local and long distance calling plus internet, I get both for 45 dollars a month...pretty snazzy huh? Not to mention the 15Mbps download is going to be a nice addition. :p

Compuwiz said:
I know my upload is being saturated, I stated that in my first post. And I also know how everything works fine when I lower my upload speed. My question is, when I upgrade to Verizon FIOS with 2Mbps upload, I want to take advantage of that--so when I do increase my upload, will I still be affected then? If so, how do I go about relieving this problem.

Well, that is why the slowdown. You have to have some upload bandwidth leftover for the responses to your download packets to get back out.

Just make sure that your bittorrent client is set for under the max upload. Go run some tests at DSL reports to find out what it is actually running at, and set your client a little lower.

Met-AL said:
Well, that is why the slowdown. You have to have some upload bandwidth leftover for the responses to your download packets to get back out.

Just make sure that your bittorrent client is set for under the max upload. Go run some tests at DSL reports to find out what it is actually running at, and set your client a little lower.

So when I get my fiber, I obviously wont be setting the upload at 2Mbps, so the problem wont happen then?

Compuwiz said:
So when I get my fiber, I obviously wont be setting the upload at 2Mbps, so the problem wont happen then?

Correct. Even the oldest and slowest of routers shouldn't have any issues with handling 1-2 Mbps of traffic. Unless that traffic consisted of a couple of thousand connections running at 1-2 kbps each, the processing overhead is negligible.

Back