Too many partitions

man00

Limp Gawd
drives.JPG

Disk 2 has two partitions the same ..when I try to backup drive using Reflect I get error one of the drives not found..Can I delete one of them ? If so which one?

Disk2 is your OS drive, I dont know why it has 2 'Recovery Partitions' but since its your OS drive, I wouldnt go about deleting any partitions unless you have a backup of anything you want on the C drive

I have it backed up using reflect, but there was error with one of those partitions..I may remove one of those

Disk2 is your OS drive, I dont know why it has 2 'Recovery Partitions' but since its your OS drive, I wouldnt go about deleting any partitions unless you have a backup of anything you want on the C drive
Windows has this thing with multiple recovery partitions, but I haven't seen them both at the beginning. Usually, Windows setup gives you an EFI partition up front, then a recovery partition (or maybe switch those two), then your NTFS partition... then Windows update finds the recovery partition too small, so it shrinks the NTFS partition and makes a bigger recovery partition at the end of your drive, but it's challenging to remove the one at the front, because partitions don't like to grow at the front.

Windows has this thing with multiple recovery partitions, but I haven't seen them both at the beginning. Usually, Windows setup gives you an EFI partition up front, then a recovery partition (or maybe switch those two), then your NTFS partition... then Windows update finds the recovery partition too small, so it shrinks the NTFS partition and makes a bigger recovery partition at the end of your drive, but it's challenging to remove the one at the front, because partitions don't like to grow at the front.
Yeah, usually involves a delete, create, move data, then shrink. A hairy operation, to say the least.

I removed one of the partitions (529mb) but my attempt to backup the drive had errors (trying to give the unallocated space a drive letter. So only other options I had was to expand the recovery partition (now 1GB) and it remained at the beginning of the drive..
drive2.jpg

I removed one of the partitions (529mb) but my attempt to backup the drive had errors (trying to give the unallocated space a drive letter. So only other options I had was to expand the recovery partition (now 1GB) and it remained at the beginning of the drive..
View attachment 501557
Might be the best you can do. Juggling partitions can be a pita, I've had to move data and just format sometimes to get things how I wanted.

Just use the built-in windows backup. Ideally, install the Win7 backup and restore to win10 (works in win11 as well).
It takes perfect machine images and can be restored from at install time. If you keep multiple backups, you can easily navigate to your backed up files by date/etc. and restore them to original or custom locations.

No need for a 3rd-party backup app.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...3-ed18-52ef2b88cbef#WindowsVersion=Windows_11

-- Dave

View attachment 501129
Disk 2 has two partitions the same ..when I try to backup drive using Reflect I get error one of the drives not found..Can I delete one of them ? If so which one?
Late to the party, but I would have recommended using clonezilla to make an image of the drive before you mess with the partitions. And then I would have used a parted magic live cd to do that. And if you messed up, just restore it from the clonezilla image and try again.

At this point, you can still do the clonezilla image and then try parted magic to get better partitioning.

Back