Too good to be true?

Kuromizu

Gawd
Ok, Some guy offered to sell me his GTX 285 for $145.

That's higher than my budget. Would I be nuts not to take it anyways?

Who's the seller and from which means are you going to purchase from? [H]? Fleabay? Shady e-mail or post?

1.jpg

I'd ask to check it out first being used in a computer if it's a local pickup. Maybe it's just stolen and works fine. If it is it'd be a great score. If he refuses then yes, it is too good to be true.

I'd ask to check it out first being used in a computer if it's a local pickup. Maybe it's just stolen and works fine. If it is it'd be a great score. If he refuses then yes, it is too good to be true.

Well if you don't mind buying stolen goods, knowingly or unknowingly... :eek:

Yeah. That's just it; I do mind.

I'm just going to tell him no. You guys probably think I'm crazy.
My x1900 plays L4D(1280x720) and TF2(1900x1200) fine. I can wait until fall for the new ATI cards to come.

In fact, I may just put all of my money aside for later this year. I'm in the market for a laptop too. Whether it's the ati 4860 or the nvidia GTS260, I'll be looking forward to 40nm laptop and desktop gpus.

edit: that reminds me, bestbuy.com has 4770s in stock.

I wouldn't mind at all. If you don't buy it someone else will, and aren't you more deserving of a deal than them? I know I am!

lol, I may think I'm more deserving but I won't be the guy that legitimizes selling stolen goods.
Just because someone will do it doesn't mean everyone should.

lol, I may think I'm more deserving but I won't be the guy that legitimizes selling stolen goods.
Just because someone will do it doesn't mean everyone should.

Not to go too far off topic (yet at the same time doing exactly that), but all you're really doing is serving your own morality. It's actually a bit narcissistic when you think about it. Whether or not you buy it has nothing to do with the legitimacy in reality. Sure I get that by not buying it you aren't supporting it or whatever, but in reality the product is going to be sold regardless of the actions you yourself take. Therefore, you're only serving yourself by taking the moral high ground and not purchasing a stolen product, because the reality is that it will be sold, thus it will be legitimized. If your goal of not buying it is to avoid 'legitimizing stolen goods', you've failed either way. Because of this, all you're doing is making yourself feel better without having any real affect on the reality of the situation...

I guess I just take the reality side of the 'stolen goods' debate instead of the moral one =P

And just to clarify I'm not against your decision or anything or trying to insult you in any way, I just thought about what you said and that's what I came up with.

Not to go too far off topic (yet at the same time doing exactly that), but all you're really doing is serving your own morality. It's actually a bit narcissistic when you think about it. Whether or not you buy it has nothing to do with the legitimacy in reality. Sure I get that by not buying it you aren't supporting it or whatever, but in reality the product is going to be sold regardless of the actions you yourself take. Therefore, you're only serving yourself by taking the moral high ground and not purchasing a stolen product, because the reality is that it will be sold, thus it will be legitimized. If your goal of not buying it is to avoid 'legitimizing stolen goods', you've failed either way. Because of this, all you're doing is making yourself feel better without having any real affect on the reality of the situation...

I guess I just take the reality side of the 'stolen goods' debate instead of the moral one =P

And just to clarify I'm not against your decision or anything or trying to insult you in any way, I just thought about what you said and that's what I came up with.

If people stop buying stolen goods, people won't steal as many, since they can't sale as many.

Plus there is the chance that if it was stolen, he will be unable to get the warranty honored if at any time the serial number was reported as stolen.

Receiving stolen property is a crime in itself, at least in PA. A misdemeanor, but still a crime.

If the guy he buys it from is caught, and gives up the name of whom he sold it to and the police come, they can and will confiscate the card and the buyer will not be reimbursed.

So yeah, I wouldn't advise buying stolen goods.

If people stop buying stolen goods, people won't steal as many, since they can't sale as many.

Plus there is the chance that if it was stolen, he will be unable to get the warranty honored if at any time the serial number was reported as stolen.

Receiving stolen property is a crime in itself, at least in PA. A misdemeanor, but still a crime.

If the guy he buys it from is caught, and gives up the name of whom he sold it to and the police come, they can and will confiscate the card and the buyer will not be reimbursed.

So yeah, I wouldn't advise buying stolen goods.

Thing is we don't know how it was obtained at all. If it's stolen then it's already stolen and we were unaware and had nothing to do with it. If it were legit, I'd just buy it and not ask how it was obtained.

Yes but the only way to serve the morality of the majority is to start by serving your own morality. The more people follow suit, the closer we come to affecting total change.

As Adam Smith said: "In competition, individual ambition serves the common good."

Yes but the only way to serve the morality of the majority is to start by serving your own morality. The more people follow suit, the closer we come to affecting total change.

As Adam Smith said: "In competition, individual ambition serves the common good."

Like I said, I get that. Problem is, someone will buy the card in reality. In a fairytale land of high moral values enough people would band together and make such things obsolete. But this is reality. Someone will buy it, end of story.

I hope more people get morality like you Kuromizu... that way I can buy all the stolen goods for myself.

I read the whole thread and I am not sure how it was determined the card is stolen. Maybe the guy just wants to give someone a good deal, it happens. Did you call hime or anything?

I used to buy smokes outta the trunk of this guys car for $10 a carton. I didn't care, I supported his crack habit, he probably will die younger, and I saved taxpayers money in the long run by helping kill him off before his time was due.

I did you all a service :D

I would make sure this card is running, inside a PC BEFORE I gave money. Simple as that, cause thats a pretty good deal. Its just safer for you, and for him.
I mean, you can't claim it was bad if he shows it to you running, so it protects him.

Everyone thinks it is stolen and very little mention that the card's hardware is jacked. But also, some people have rich uncles who die and leave them with "junk." They don't know what they are selling. Though it doesn't take rocket science to determine new hardware's value. "Anything can happen."

Back