TOm's has new charts!

I've been looking for good CPU/GPU charts for so long because Tom's were out of date for sooooo long.

Good charts but take a look at the sum of FPS total charts. Why is the GTX280 on its own topping everything by miles?

Apparently an 8800GT puts out more FPS than a 4870 in quake wars :rolleyes:
Also, where's the 4870x2? Hasn't that been out long enough to benchmark??

nice. They benchmarked a lot of pointless cards though

I disagree. Too much information is rarely something to criticize.

In the past I've used charts like this to determine where bang/buck is in lower end cards (before I played higher-requirement games). They're also good to determine what you would achieve if considering an upgrade of your "old" card. Look up your 7600GT and find Crysis runs 100x faster on a GTX280 - that sort of thing.

its ok. in its prime the 7600gt kicked ass for a budget card.

I bought my current rig with a 7600GT, I didn't do a lot of gaming, and what I did do was outdated (HL2, DOOM3, Splinter Cell, Far Cry). I bought in Oct 2006, got the card for just over $100 AR I think. That card was great until Bioshock and Crysis came along last Christmas, and I could have played Bioshock on lower settings and stuck with the 7600. My 7600GT surpassed my expectations, especially for the price.

My single HD4850 with Q9550 scored over a 1000 benchmarks more than all their machines in the
3dMark06 tests. :D

Make me wonder how accurate the charts are.

lmao ok ............ look at ...

World in Conflict v1.05

Fraps/TH-Savefile (1280x1024, 0xAA, Trilinear, Very High Quality)

You'll shit your pants.

wow...they haven't updated that chart since nearly when the 8800gt first surfaced (I didn't really consider the q1 2008 much of an update)...I pretty much figured they were either 1) getting lazy about their updates (maybe too much time designing a flashy new website?) or 2) spending a long (LONG) time creating a comprehensive monster chart with their new ref system.

Thankfully, it seems to be more the latter. Only it's kinda odd that they didn't put a big news item about the updates on their front page--I just checked tom's before heading to the forums and missed the update completely! good find!

World in Conflict v1.05

You'll shit your pants.

lol, just noticed that. but look at 1920x1200 4xAA and the 1950xtx cf drops to half way down the chart, which makes more sense.

Charts are useless if the numbers are wrong. As usual, the graphs are way off. Take a look at the CoD4 1920x1200 4xAA 8xAF chart. 4870CF is beaten by 8800GT, 8800GTS, 9800GTX, and 8800Ultra cards in SLI, even though it should be significantly faster.

nice. They benchmarked a lot of pointless cards though

I disagree. When a new videocard comes out, it's always compared against the previous generation. Many don't buy a new videocard every generation which makes it hard to judge how much of an improvement you'd see. It might be interesting, for example, to see how much faster the 4850 is compared to the Geforce 7900 or even 6800.. Look at Assasins Creed for example - At 1680x1050, switching from a Geforce 6800U to a 4850 will improve your framerate from 2.1 to 42.2 FPS, a 20x improvement :D

Also it's often confusing and difficult to determine whether the high end card from two generations ago is faster than the low-end card belonging to the current generation. Even if the charts aren't accurate, they can help you get an idea of relative performance.

As usual Toms screws it all up , those charts are so inaccurate and they don't even list the 4870 X2.

Toms = Lawl

That site used to be the best hardware site on the net back when Tom was the owner. Its never been close to what it was ever since :-(

That site used to be the best hardware site on the net back when Tom was the owner. Its never been close to what it was ever since :-(

It has definately gone downhill.

On the other hand, I wish some of the better sites out there would pick up these kind of ongoing comparisons. I'd be happy if either sites with better methodology picked up Tom's features, or if Tom's picked up better methodology.

-S

On the other hand, I wish some of the better sites out there would pick up these kind of ongoing comparisons. I'd be happy if either sites with better methodology picked up Tom's features, or if Tom's picked up better methodology.

Same here. The concept is very nice and useful but poorly executed at Tom's.

World in Conflict v1.05

You'll shit your pants.

Isn't Very High quality in WiC DX10? The x19xx cards probably arent running at the same detail level as the DX10 cards.

I think the charts are fantastic- my old X1900 compared to the newer generation of cards. Helps to rationalize the purchase of a new HD4850. With most benchmarks they only compare against same or maybe one generation back so it's tough without charts like this to see how things are progressing.

Back